How did you obtain your Birkin?

Oh, and by the way, what the SA told you was correct - there are NO Birkin wait-lists at the Sydney Store. Also, you will find that the advice from many of the members here would be not to walk into the store and ask about Birkins on your first visit! They like to get to know you, first.

^^ Hey, thank you Grands Fonds! I actually did feel funny asking how the Birkin Wait List worked on the first visit, but I asked them because I just wanted to know how it worked, and I only asked after I'd spent about 20 minutes in the store looking at everything else. I didn't just barge in there and say "I want a Birkin, put me on the wait-list now please!!" LOL!

There are a few other Hermes things I'm interested in buying in there anyway (eg perfume, blanket, scarf, etc), so I'll take your good advice and go in there again. :smile:

Do you know why Sydney doesn't have a waiting list and everywhere else does?

Well, I must agree....don't ask for a Birkin on your first visit if you can avoid it. I honestly wanted a Bolide or Kelly first so that I could spend time learning colors, leathers, etc. before deciding on that one and only Birkin I planned to have. I did buy another bag before the Birkin and I did by a wallet and an agenda - not that I felt I had too, but again I was getting into Hermes anyway, so why not get a few things I wanted to have before popping the big question.:P

On my 3rd or 4th visit, I mentioned thinking about what color I might want in a future Birkin and I think I finally asked to order it on my 6th or 7th visit - no problem! It actually came in 3 months later (little did I know that by dropping hints of the Birkin I may want in the future...the store had decided to order it for their shelf stock and they offered it to me as soon as it came in). Love my boutique!!!!

That being said, a couple weeks after acquiring my Birkin (and remember, they know me pretty well as I've bought others bags and accessories there) I came across a new SA that I never saw before. When I started inquiring about leather colors...I was quickly told, "well you know, the Birkin lists are closed". I was so PO'd - didn't say anything though b/c I was so taken aback...it does seem like a company line that is said if they don't know you. Interestingly, I haven't seen her since - I wonder if she PO'd other regulars?!?

Anyway, bottom line - I tried not to make it a big deal...asking for the BirkinI mean, but I honestly shopped and got to know the staff first - all of which paid off in the end, and was quite fun in the process! Make it fun, warm-chatter, get a few things you love, then the Birkin will come easy and it won't seem like such an ordeal. Or, as candace says, get a charming man to butter the SAs up and get one for you! :P :P

^^ Hey, thank you Grands Fonds! I actually did feel funny asking how the Birkin Wait List worked on the first visit, but I asked them because I just wanted to know how it worked, and I only asked after I'd spent about 20 minutes in the store looking at everything else. I didn't just barge in there and say "I want a Birkin, put me on the wait-list now please!!" LOL!

There are a few other Hermes things I'm interested in buying in there anyway (eg perfume, blanket, scarf, etc), so I'll take your good advice and go in there again. :smile:

Do you know why Sydney doesn't have a waiting list and everywhere else does?

Hey no problems!

I love to help out 'newer' clients to Hermes gain an understanding of how it all works!!

They only did the whole wait-list thing for a little while - now I'm not sure how many stores still do it, but Australia definitely doesn't. A few Aussie members here were lucky enough to score birkins on the floor, and scooped them up! But you will rarely encounter this in Sydney (unless you're after a croc Birkin!).

They love you to love the brand. All the SA's I deal with there are very passionate about the Hermes name, and will be so happy to tell you the stories behind the leathers and bags, scarves etc - everything there has a story, and the SA'a are very well-educated. I can spend HOURS with the two I deal with, just listening to them talk!

Pop in whenever you can. They will start to recognise you in no time, and things will be peachy!:yes:

I ya'll said not to do this but I called for 2 days and on the second day, they said that one arrived but it wasn't leather, it was the one seen on the runways so I literally ran over there.

Hi gals. I' am new here. I am a true designer bags addicit, but dum me just found out this forum today. LV, Chloe, MJ, Balenciaga..have them all but only 1 bag I don't have and I don't know how to get IT-the famous Birkin bag. I live in Tampa, FL where there's no H store. I did go to NYC and Vegas's H store b4 and did buy stuff there. Ladies, I want to start my H collection and I don't know which one should I start with, but bottom line can anyone tell me how possible I can get one if there's no H store around.

About 3 years ago, my husband and I went to Paris and of course we went into the Hermes store at 24 Faubourg. I was looking for a Birkin but they did not have one available at the time but the SA showed me a Blue Jean Kelly which I bought. I asked her if you can place an order for a Birkin and she told me no but to check back with her when we get back from Italy and she will let me know. We were in Paris in December and by the time we went back it was January. I went back to the store and ask for my SA and she checked with the manager and put me down for a black Birkin. I received my Birkin 4 months later. The main store in Paris is the only one that takes orders as far as I know and they do that twice a year. This SA is the most amazing person I met during all my years of shopping. She calls me when the list opens and so far I have order 5 bags from her.

My recommendation is if you are in Paris go to their main store and build a friendship with a SA there and you are set. Hopefully this is helpful.