Horrified experience at coach outlet....

I only know what I have read here and over at ebay. Maybe a few PMs over there too.

It would not take too much for Coach to snap a still photo off a video. Esp if they keep video as proof of service. I know Dept Stores do that with RT suspects and Return Artists.

The ongoing discussion has mainly been that Coach doesn 't have anything posted at the register (Dooney does) and that instead of a warning or a letter to your home, they serve you at the store. It would be quite embarassing & frustrating. I mean, if you tell Coach the truth about where you live, why can't they mail a letter with return receipt?

I think they have this policy to protect the reputation of their own stores and outlets. Like it was previously mentioned, when people buy specifically to resell, they often clear out entire racks of bags or accessories - especially ones that are more highly in demand.

True customers, in turn, cannot find or get the things that are highly in demand and they figure what is the point of shopping that store anymore.

Overall, any store maintains the right to refuse service to anyone, and while this is often hotly contested in some cases, in the case of a reseller I think that any court would side with the original retailer. It is a matter of them maintaining their name and reputation and selection to true customers.

LOL! Saying to check on the eBay discussion boards is no problem ;)

I don't know. . . I can't imagine they have a photo up of everyone they turn away.
Wear a hat, buy only 2-3 and pay w/ cash. Unless you're notorious, I doubt anyone will be the wiser.
KWIM?

I've read somewhere that Coach does send a letter to the person's home, as long as they have the updated address. Then they also send letters to all the stores in that persons area. (I'm not sure what the distance is though, or how they determine what the "area" is.)

It takes a LOT for Coach to ban somebody. We're talking thousands and thousands of dollars usually. I read one case where the person was spending upwards of five thousand dollars a month. They have an actual department that deals with this kind of thing.

One of the triggers is if you buy more than 3 of any particular item. (So I've read on here.) And that'll put a little red flag on you, and they'll watch your buying activity for a while to determine what kind of purchases you make. It's pretty obvious who is buying things for personal use or gifts, and who is a reseller.

LOL! Saying to check on the eBay discussion boards is no problem ;)

I don't know. . . I can't imagine they have a photo up of everyone they turn away.
Wear a hat, buy only 2-3 and pay w/ cash. Unless you're notorious, I doubt anyone will be the wiser.
KWIM?
this is kind of what I would think

if you dont draw attention to yourself by buying lots of stuff, it wouldn't be a big deal and no one would care

thanks for the info, noshoepolish! have you seen anything about the ban applying to dept stores? how would they keep track?

i think they keep track by credit cards and such but if you pay with cash and are a little more discreet,you should be fine. i frequent the outlets alot but usually carry the bags i've purchased there so hopefully i don't get banned. hehe

i think they keep track by credit cards and such but if you pay with cash and are a little more discreet,you should be fine. i frequent the outlets alot but usually carry the bags i've purchased there so hopefully i don't get banned. hehe
sounds silly, but I agree with you!

if you're carrying a nice Coach bag they prob wouldn't pay as much attention to worrying about you selling

I think the key is the spending large amounts of $/month. . . that's an attention getter anywhere you shop.

I've never understood it though. . . they are getting the amount they asked for the bag. . . why do they care what happens w/ it if they're getting what they ask for?

I think the key is the spending large amounts of $/month. . . that's an attention getter anywhere you shop.

I've never understood it though. . . they are getting the amount they asked for the bag. . . why do they care what happens w/ it if they're getting what they ask for?
that's my big thing too swanky

if I pay honest good money/credit card for it, pay tax, am polite to the SA, blah blah blah why should they care if I use it, give it away, sell it, or take it in the backyard and set it on fire! I just wish Coach would worry more about the counterfeiters on ebay than the people who buy the authentic stuff legally

ebay has been one of the best things that has happened to coach, it gives people not near coach stores/outlets (just within the US, I'm not even talking about non US) a way to get things they want

I was banned from the Coach outlet last year. I bought mostly for myself, friends and relatives and sold only a couple on eBay. I never bought more than 3 of a style but the outlet was 10 minutes from my house so when it first opened I was a frequent buyer. One day I was rudely handed a letter that told me that I was not welcome to purchase at any Coach store and in addition,anyone who Coach felt might be acting on my behalf was also banned. I was STUNNED; I truly had to idea that Coach corporate cared what happended to factory store items; after all they aren't exclusive limited editions! I did not go in the store for almost a year; but did buy a bag at another outlet for cash when I was on vacation. I made the mistake of assuming that I could return it to my local store with my receipt and get the cash back. Well, the manager rudely refused my return and multilated my receipt and said "Now you can't return it to any store". I am now actively boycotting Coach; selling my collection and buying other brands. They are wrong about me being a big eBay seller but according to other people I have talked to; calling Corporate does no good. The person in charge doesn't even return calls to the banned buyers. :cursing:

I was banned from the Coach outlet last year. I bought mostly for myself, friends and relatives and sold only a couple on eBay. I never bought more than 3 of a style but the outlet was 10 minutes from my house so when it first opened I was a frequent buyer. One day I was rudely handed a letter that told me that I was not welcome to purchase at any Coach store and in addition,anyone who Coach felt might be acting on my behalf was also banned. I was STUNNED; I truly had to idea that Coach corporate cared what happended to factory store items; after all they aren't exclusive limited editions! I did not go in the store for almost a year; but did buy a bag at another outlet for cash when I was on vacation. I made the mistake of assuming that I could return it to my local store with my receipt and get the cash back. Well, the manager rudely refused my return and multilated my receipt and said "Now you can't return it to any store". I am now actively boycotting Coach; selling my collection and buying other brands. They are wrong about me being a big eBay seller but according to other people I have talked to; calling Corporate does no good. The person in charge doesn't even return calls to the banned buyers. :cursing:
wow, I'm very sorry that happened and I'm VERY sorry they were such jerks about it

That really bothers me, why can't they send people letters at home? Why humiliate them in public?

I'm glad you were able to buy with cash though, but I DO NOT blame you for boycotting all together, there are too many great brands out there.

Good luck and welcome to TPF!

yikes!
i don't live near an outlet, so when i am close to one i buy anything i think i might like thinking i can always return it later since their return policy is so good. (anything i have ever returned is always in BRAND NEW condition with tags and it never left my closet.) and, yes, i do sell a bit on ebay.
i've been in the process of moving over the past few weeks and managed to hit an outlet in TN during our drive west and then again in CO while on vacation. just before we moved, we went on vacation to FL and again i was over zealous at the outlet. we're finally getting settled and i've had a chance to collectively look at everything i've purchased over the past month, under 2K total. well, many of my little things added up and, needless to say, i really should return a few things. most probably wouldn't be worth the time to list and try and sell on ebay. BUT now i'm thinking i should just suck it up and keep it or take a possible loss on ebay. getting banned is something that would sooo happen to me. any opinions?

^^ i think you should be fine only because the items you bought were in different regions and the price wasn't as bad as it could be. don't take a hit on ebay, return it and get your $$ or something you love. you can also return at a regular store. i am an impulsive buyer and have things to return sometime but almost always pick up something else so i usually break even or give them more $$

I'm just as confused as everyone else. I would think Coach would love the business Ebay brings. Since I don't live near an outlet, I love being able to purchase items on Ebay, and re-sell them when I get bored of them. I think eventually there will be a lawsuit about this. . . .someone is going to get banned who does not sell on Ebay, and it will probably have to do something with discrimination. I just don't understand how they could do this without actual "proof" that the item had been re-sold. If you are a seller, I would suggest not shopping at the outlets too frequently, or buying multiples of the same item. Also, when you list your item, don't specify the exactly location you live. I'm sure Coach outlets research who is selling on Ebay in the cities outlets are located. Also, pay with cash when you can, and maybe try and rotate who goes in to buy for you. I'm also sure there is some privacy act that says you should be able to do with your stuff what you want to do with it. Honestly, this is one of the craziest things I have ever heard of. . . . oh yeah, one more thing- if Coach asks you why you are buying the item, just say its a gift. I go to the outlet maybe once or twice a year, if that, the last time I went this past 4th of July the store was an absolute zoo, how on earth could they remember faces! If this is the case, I wonder how some sellers get away with it- I have bought from Maeriam on Ebay- she is great, but also sells a ton!

yikes!
i don't live near an outlet, so when i am close to one i buy anything i think i might like thinking i can always return it later since their return policy is so good. (anything i have ever returned is always in BRAND NEW condition with tags and it never left my closet.) and, yes, i do sell a bit on ebay.
i've been in the process of moving over the past few weeks and managed to hit an outlet in TN during our drive west and then again in CO while on vacation. just before we moved, we went on vacation to FL and again i was over zealous at the outlet. we're finally getting settled and i've had a chance to collectively look at everything i've purchased over the past month, under 2K total. well, many of my little things added up and, needless to say, i really should return a few things. most probably wouldn't be worth the time to list and try and sell on ebay. BUT now i'm thinking i should just suck it up and keep it or take a possible loss on ebay. getting banned is something that would sooo happen to me. any opinions?

Maybe you could return said items in shifts? Maybe do it in a few trips and not all at once? I'm not much help and I understand your fear of them getting the wrong idea.