horrible story

Even if OP's friend do report on that guy, i am 99% sure he either have connections in legal system or can shred enough $ to get his way out. It's the rule of all business in China, either you 'know' someone or you can shred some $ to have it your way:cursing:

however pp do report the authorities are enforcing the rules in Beijing b/c of 2008's Olympic, not sure how far the influence would be for the rest of China?:shrugs:

Yes, you are right, ashamed to admit this, but you are right. If they guy started doing his "business" like this, I would say, he at least know he would have already found out ways to avoid punishment.

There have been articles in Harper's Bazaar about this area..apparently the government is making it so that the landlords will be fined for letting people who sell counterfeit merchandise do so in their buildings.
I don't really know how well this is abided by though.

I read the same article but it is not an effective way to stop counterfeiting. Three years ago when I was in China with my Aunt she ran into a fake purse seller who apparent she has bought from previously. My aunt asked why she is in this new location and the lady said that she was evicted from her last place (due to selling fake purses) but she just sets up shop in a new location! This person was selling fake Hermes, LV, Montbanc, Chanel, Burberry, Prada, etc. out of the rented apt. Her associates would bring in the goods wrapped in a black plastic garbage bag so no one on the street can see that they are counterfeit goods.

I read the same article but it is not an effective way to stop counterfeiting. Three years ago when I was in China with my Aunt she ran into a fake purse seller who apparent she has bought from previously. My aunt asked why she is in this new location and the lady said that she was evicted from her last place (due to selling fake purses) but she just sets up shop in a new location! This person was selling fake Hermes, LV, Montbanc, Chanel, Burberry, Prada, etc. out of the rented apt. Her associates would bring in the goods wrapped in a black plastic garbage bag so no one on the street can see that they are counterfeit goods.

Yeah that's what I was saying..it's a good idea but it will only work if it's abided by correctly and fully. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening. :sad:

When i visited Shanghai 2 years ago, there's a HUGE open market (Shing-Yan) devoted to replicas of elite lux brands over the world, Gucci, LV, Hermes, Rolex, Cartier, Chanel....you name it they have it, products ranges from luggage, handbag, watch, jewls, sunnies, scarf, RTW, it's like NM of replicas! Pp are selling under broad day light, or pull u in hidden rooms, everyrthing you see in LV catalog, they have it.

That place finally got shut down, b/c it's too obvious, but my uncle often joke everything in China can be faked except cars, haha

Yes, actually my father was making fun of those women on the street carrying fakes, he said, oh well, seems now only the person sleep next to you can be real, any other thing could be fake. :sweatdrop:

When i visited Shanghai 2 years ago, there's a HUGE open market (Shing-Yan) devoted to replicas of elite lux brands over the world, Gucci, LV, Hermes, Rolex, Cartier, Chanel....you name it they have it, products ranges from luggage, handbag, watch, jewls, sunnies, scarf, RTW, it's like NM of replicas! Pp are selling under broad day light, or pull u in hidden rooms, everyrthing you see in LV catalog, they have it.

That place finally got shut down, b/c it's too obvious, but my uncle often joke everything in China can be faked except cars, haha

so you think! i can't find the pictures right now.. but i remember reading an article on Chinese cars that have faked Western (US and German) cars!! The pictures were completely appalling.. There to exact dimensions and styling.. the only thing different was the badge on the car. This was a few years ago as well.. but that doesn't mean they haven't gotten better at faking them.

There's also talk of the first Chinese car company to reach the US market in 2008..

edit: here's one article of GM suing Chery Auto for their replicating of the Daewoo Matiz (Chery calls theirs, the QQ):
GM Sues China's Chery Automobile Co Over Design | Design Forums

the article also speaks to when Honda filed against Shuanghuan Auto for copying their CR-V (called the Laibao SRV), as well as when Toyota filed against Geely for copying their designs.

Ya fakes are bad... and what bothers me is that this guy's getting RICH out of it. I hate saying this, but it's a fact that the Chinese government is VERY corrupted. I've "seen" connections done and how people are able to wiggle their way out of trouble by bribing a higher official and sadly, from my personal experience, I'd say more than 1/2 of China's current 500 000 millionaires (Harper's?) have gotten rich this way.
As for cracking down fakes, it's hard for France or any Western country to get into China's political system. Second, I don't think China's main concern is counterfeit goods at the moment. Here is the time for a country who's been oppressed by the west* for more than 100 years since the Opium war to perform its quantum leap again and regain it's Tang dynasty-like glory. So obviously imo, setting up internal foundations/structures such as stabilizing business relations and banking system (don't wanna mimick Japan...) are more important than getting rid of fakes. Third, there would be no use reporting this guy to the police, because people just don't care. China right now is about power, more specifically political power. So a lowly ranked woman reporting out of ~1.3 billion people seems rather insignificant from the government's perspective. However, this is not to say that the government is unaware of the current situation, they DO know, it's just that this is less of a priority for them at the moment.
Also, people in the west usually link counterfeit goods directly with luxury goods which is not totally true. Fakes in China range from food, water, toothpaste, toilet paper (kinda hilarious:roflmfao: ), cigarettes, alcohol... or any daily product one may use. I would think that fake luxury goods are thus a small portion.

*I'm not blaming the West for China's economic fall for the past 100 years. From a certain perspective, I think China "deserved" it (my mom's gonna beat me lol). Why? Again, blame the corrupt government in the turn of the last century... or maybe that Queen Ci Xi... she's kinda :shocked: ...:whistle:

^^ ITA. The counterfeiting industry is like an $11B business. faking everything from electronics to pens, luxury goods, to daily goods.. shampoo, necessities, clothes and medicine! medicine is the scary part because that's stuff that goes in the body.. everything else is material.

wow, it's getting into politics hehe, well, that's not safe for me.
Anyway, as a Chinese, I agree with you guys in some respects, but some not, but, as I said, it's getting very serious now, I 'd better keep away from that.
Other than the "serious" talking, I would say that, it is sad for me to see all the fakes on the market, I believe I heard there are fake medicine too. toilet paper fakes, yes, there are haha, it's really funny when you use them. heihei....
Anyway, so, it's right that only if people stop buying it can stop counterfeit. But, also, I am not blaming anyone from other countries. It is also really sad to see that so many people from other coutnries, when they arrive China, one of the first three things they asked, if not the first one, is where to get fake stuff and they just rush to there.

Sad.....

I remembered that when I carried my first designer bag out during my study in US, my classmate just asked me , hey, that one for sure is fake right? I was feeling like humiliated, but, oh well, I coudl understand.

The fakes are rampant because sadly, there is a great demand for them. The moment that people become more socially conscious by not supporting this illegal trade, these thugs would have no place else to thrive. They supply, but there is also a demand.