Hermès New York City Stores

I booked an appointment online indicating what I was looking for (a garden party in blues or a neutral colore). I also indicated I was interested in building a relationship with an SA as a new client. I showed up. Brought a small leather Kelly item that I had been given previously as a gift with me (still new) and verbalized I was hoping to find a bag to match or in a similar tone. I said I had an interest in a garden party as I know a Kelly isn’t realistic. She took a picture said if she finds something she’d let me know. Didn’t seem interested in discussing options or anything other than suggesting a herbag or picotin (no to the herbag, maybe picotin). She didn’t seem interested so when asked if there was anything else I was interested in, I just said no politely and left. I saw nothing. I didn’t necessarily expect to see swatches but I was at least hoping to discuss colors or possibilities. Maybe I expected too much.
Going in and only asking about bags isn’t going to get you anywhere, unfortunately. Without spending in other categories, it is going to be difficult for an SA to get you any bag request so if you don’t show an interest in shopping around, it’s not worth the SA’s time to pretend to care about your desired bag specs. Your best bet would be to go back and shop for other items (and purchase) and wait to talk about bags until the end of your appointment, preferably after you’ve swiped your credit card.

Going in and only asking about bags isn’t going to get you anywhere, unfortunately. Without spending in other categories, it is going to be difficult for an SA to get you any bag request so if you don’t show an interest in shopping around, it’s not worth the SA’s time to pretend to care about your desired bag specs. Your best bet would be to go back and shop for other items (and purchase) and wait to talk about bags until the end of your appointment, preferably after you’ve swiped your credit card.
My intent was to buy other items. When I booked my appointment I had to pick a reason for my visit. Since she knew why I was there, I led with that. I thought she’d suggest walking around or that she’d ask if I saw anything of interest while I waited. I thought when she asked I’d talk about scarves and some shoes since I was interested in that as well.

Wait- the SA suggested a picotin for you as a walk in? To buy that day??
That would’ve been pretty impressive!

But yes, otherwise agree with @acrowcounted
No. I wish. It was clear right away they did not have any bags in the store, based on what she said (or that I couldn’t be able to buy if they did). The suggestion of a herbag or picotin was what I thought her possibly getting an idea as to what bag I was expecting or hoping to buy in the future. Maybe my appointment should’ve never been confirmed. Not sure as it was my first one.

No. I wish. It was clear right away they did not have any bags in the store, based on what she said (or that I couldn’t be able to buy if they did). The suggestion of a herbag or picotin was what I thought her possibly getting an idea as to what bag I was expecting or hoping to buy in the future. Maybe my appointment should’ve never been confirmed. Not sure as it was my first one.
Ah I see. I think when the system confirmed the appointment, it probably just meant you have an appointment, period. Not necessarily you have an appointment for a garden party. Maybe that’s where the disconnect is…
Sorry that was your first experience at the boutique. I think next time when you go, lead with the scarves or the shoes. This is how you “build the relationship.” While you’re looking at the scarves or the shoes (or jewelry or RTW or home wares, whatever it is you’re interested in), you chat with the SA and try to build a rapport with them. Then as you’re checking out and they ask if there’s anything else, you can mention something about a garden party. If you lead with the garden party, and they don’t have one in stock, that’s basically the end of the conversation. 🤷🏻‍♀️
And the standard response to a new client asking about any bag is there is none in stock. 😬

Last edited:
Unfortunately the appointment confirmation has nothing to do with what you’ve indicated you’re interested in. It only means you have an appointment, not at all in any way that they have whatever product you indicated interest in. It’s too bad there was a misunderstanding about this.

However, I will say when I was recently in Madison I did get a tour. A lovely SA took me up the elevator to the top and then we walked down stopping at every department. I think I had indicated I would be buying a cashmere scarf before he suggested the store tour.

So I think there’s no reason not to go to Madison, maybe on a day of bad weather (fewer people in store) and browse scarves (as you indicated you might be interested in scarves) and see if you clic with someone.

Reactions: laffylove
I don’t think so - about appointment length I mean. I have found that we usually go 1.5-2hours. I keep track of time and at 1 hr if I still have shopping to do I ask if my SA has another appointment or it’s ok to look at something else.

I am not even buying that much. I find it takes a loooong time for them to find things in the back and going back and forth between departments.
What is up with that by the way? My SA disappears in the back as if there is another store with another customer behind that door and she is helping both like Figaro

I got a non QB offer (24/24) as walk in at Madison

Reactions: laffylove
What is up with that by the way? My SA disappears in the back as if there is another store with another customer behind that door and she is helping both like Figaro
Right?

I sometimes wonder if this billion dollar company just has the most disorganized stock room in the world. But I actually think maybe things are locked or something. Ive seen into the stock room when the door was opened and it’s not stuff on shelves. It looks like a bunch of lockers - maybe they are locked? And then the SAs have to scan each item in and out? I don’t know. But I’m always shocked how shopping for two things takes a solid 1.5 hours 😂. At least I’m having fun and hydrating.

Ah I see. I think when the system confirmed the appointment, it probably just meant you have an appointment, period. Not necessarily you have an appointment for a garden party. Maybe that’s where the disconnect is…
Sorry that was your first experience at the boutique. I think next time when you go, lead with the scarves or the shoes. This is how you “build the relationship.” While you’re looking at the scarves or the shoes (or jewelry or RTW or home wares, whatever it is you’re interested in), you chat with the SA and try to build a rapport with them. Then as you’re checking out and they ask if there’s anything else, you can mention something about a garden party. If you lead with the garden party, and they don’t have one in stock, that’s basically the end of the conversation. 🤷🏻‍♀️
And the standard response to a new client asking about any bag is there is none in stock. 😬
That makes sense. I will wait a little while and try again. I’ll book an appointment for the items that I will most likely walk out with since I still want them.

Reactions: Bdbunny
Unfortunately the appointment confirmation has nothing to do with what you’ve indicated you’re interested in. It only means you have an appointment, not at all in any way that they have whatever product you indicated interest in. It’s too bad there was a misunderstanding about this.

However, I will say when I was recently in Madison I did get a tour. A lovely SA took me up the elevator to the top and then we walked down stopping at every department. I think I had indicated I would be buying a cashmere scarf before he suggested the store tour.

So I think there’s no reason not to go to Madison, maybe on a day of bad weather (fewer people in store) and browse scarves (as you indicated you might be interested in scarves) and see if you clic with someone.
Thanks for the feedback on Madison. The store feels a little intimidating on the outside and based on a lot of the negative feedback I’ve read. I will try to walk in on a bad weather weekday and see how it goes.

Question: do newer sales associates get less bags allocated to them? Just wondering how they decide who gets to offer a bag. I guess it would make sense that the more clients one associate would have that would make sense?

Hermes fans of NYC - How many of you can relate to these pictures? :biggrin: :drinks:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 68
  • 08-2.jpg
    08-2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for the feedback on Madison. The store feels a little intimidating on the outside and based on a lot of the negative feedback I’ve read. I will try to walk in on a bad weather weekday and see how it goes.
I just want to tell you that the SAs really are nice normal people. I actually had a conversation with a couple SAs last time I was shopping about this “intimidating” thing. The SA brought it up, saying it was a shame people felt that way, that it is not intentional on their part (I do think my store is a “friendly” store). But my point to you is to go in with confidence - all humans react negatively to insecurity (not just Hermes SAs) - so if you are giving off that kind of energy you won’t have the experience you want. This is a fake it till you make it situation. Go in knowing you will have a great time. Have a mental list of what you want, and research how much things cost, then go in and assume you’re going to meet a great SA to help you buy those things.