**Hermes Chat**

Well, M's eagle, Mlle Chanel's big social experiment, as you well know, is the fact that she mixed her fine jewelry with her how, you say, FAKE and as expensive as real, jewelry. I always had a problem with Chanel fak-o pearls, because they are made to look fake and they could really knock out a real pearl by weight alone, because they are glass. They could probably knock out a tooth. I happen to like cultured pearls. To me to mix costume ( fashion) jewelry with fine jewelry is a lot like wearing copper with rose gold. You all know what happens when you wear copper....

I have too many rules.
My sainted mother was too mean to me.
eagle, we've met, right?

beeble
Indeed we have. You were wearing or doing something at NM with a orangey mous which looked great on you. And you like alex stones.

eagle, I do think of Coco Chanel as dripping with pearls, with the matchy-matchy tweed suit, probably a brooch, the hat, etc., etc. It has always amused me that she is the source of that iconic "remove one item" quote. I don't think she practiced it herself--that advice was for us plebes.
I was watching some 1930s, 40's, 50's documentary on PBS (where else for those kinds of things) and everyone in the 30s and 40s were wearing hats, men and women. It occurred to me that a good hat substituted at that time for lack of time, hair product, shampoo and/or hairstylists with cuts and perms. I guess now we wear baseball caps but nowhere near to the extent of people back then. And, there was a certain formality calling for a hat in many circumstances, I suppose.

Imagine! Chanel had a hat plopped on her head probably covering "day after" shampoo and styling. Seems really declasse, even more than the boatload of pearls she's wearing. But the Duchess of Windsor, bless her heart, probably had a stylist doing home visits because her hair was done at least once a day. Queen Elizabeth has always had her hair done well. If she wore an HS you could see the curls underneath.

Plebes, us? Yes, definitely. You have to have more than one strand of pearls to remove some.

Hi Ladies! I lurk here but don't post... just heard this morning about a pop-up store in Vancouver to showcase the construction of the Birkin.
On my mobile, so sorry if I can't paste it all. Wasn't sure where to put this so I cross-posted in the Vancouver boutiques thread in the shopping sub.
Hope those of you close by can attend :flowers:
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2016/08/24/hermes-artisans-to-visit-vancouver-for-demo

The company behind the Birkin and Kelly bags will be in Vancouver from Sept. 21-25 with 10 of their artisans demonstrating to the public how it manufactures the Hermes brand’s pricey products.

From 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Hermes will be showcasing its work in a 5,000-square-foot, glass-walled enclosure at Jack Poole Plaza near Canada Place. It’s part of a travelling series called Hermes at Work that’s moved from city to city since 2011 — Vancouver will be the 35th location.

The company said the free event will accommodate several hundred people at a time inside its pop-up building. The whole point is to let attendees talk to the artisans throughout the product-making process.

French-to-English and French-to-Chinese translators will be on site.

As a few examples, visitors can expect to see a leather artisan create Constance and Kelly bags from start to finish, and an Allegro saddle from start to finish.

“Behind the smallest detail, there is a human being, guided by a watchful eye and pride in work well done,” the company said in a statement.

Over the five days, there will be nine types of crafts shown off, including silk printing, saddlemaking, gem setting, silk engraving, silk rolling, watchmaking, porcelain handpainting, glovemaking and leatherwork.

“Hermes is a house that evolves constantly while being deeply rooted in its values and savoir-faire. It is a house of creativity, craftsmanship and humanity,” Jennifer Carter, president and CEO of Hermes Canada, said in a statement.

“We are so delighted to share the experience of Hermès at Work in Vancouver against a stunning west coast backdrop of mountain and ocean.”

I was watching some 1930s, 40's, 50's documentary on PBS (where else for those kinds of things) and everyone in the 30s and 40s were wearing hats, men and women. It occurred to me that a good hat substituted at that time for lack of time, hair product, shampoo and/or hairstylists with cuts and perms. I guess now we wear baseball caps but nowhere near to the extent of people back then. And, there was a certain formality calling for a hat in many circumstances, I suppose.

Imagine! Chanel had a hat plopped on her head probably covering "day after" shampoo and styling. Seems really declasse, even more than the boatload of pearls she's wearing. But the Duchess of Windsor, bless her heart, probably had a stylist doing home visits because her hair was done at least once a day. Queen Elizabeth has always had her hair done well. If she wore an HS you could see the curls underneath.

Plebes, us? Yes, definitely. You have to have more than one strand of pearls to remove some.

Coco was wearing a wig and the hat helped to hide it. The Duchess of Windsor had her hair done TWICE a day. Wash and set in the morning, then she does lunch, and a comb out in the afternoon so she could look good for the evening festivities. Shallow and vapid comes to mind. The Duke was not much better so they deserved each other.

I love to mix real and fake jewelry, and horror of horrors, I mix white and yellow or white and rose gold. You have to have some fun in life. I have Chanel pearls and I mix them with my real ones. I better stop with that.

I don't have a poodle to give me fashion advice I just have a husband who are rare occasions will say, if I am getting a bit extreme, "you have to be kidding!" I always remember my mother saying "didn't she look in the mirror before she left the house?" That is pretty much my final thought about dressing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayfly285 and andee
Gracie, you've expressed my thoughts exactly! If I look in the mirror and like what I see, that's all the affirmation I need. I dress for myself, not someone elses idea of how I should dress. Can I get a bit "costumey" from time to time? Oh, hell, yes! And, I'm pretty sure more than one person has made your mother's comment about me! That's just fine with me. It makes me giggle!

Gracie, you've expressed my thoughts exactly! If I look in the mirror and like what I see, that's all the affirmation I need. I dress for myself, not someone elses idea of how I should dress. Can I get a bit "costumey" from time to time? Oh, hell, yes! And, I'm pretty sure more than one person has made your mother's comment about me! That's just fine with me. It makes me giggle!
When the DH thinks that I am too "dressed up" I tell him exactly what you said, i.e. I dress for myself! "Yourself" is the only person you really have to make happy. Sorry DH, hahahahahaha!

I am no about to let my poodle near my jewelery. She would want to wear my real pearls! And get her floppy ears pierced. She is quite vain. She doesn't really like to have her photo taken. If you remember the movie, Funny Girl, when Fannie Brice says, "No photos, please!" this how how she acts. I don't know why. Her buddy Eli is totally different. He cares not what any of us wear. He just wants to be happy all the time.
I didn't mean anything to disparage anyone about mixing metals, real and unreal, etc. I tend to wear little jewelry -- a pair of earrings, a necklace, watch and rings. My old lady arms are so yucky looking with the side effects of prednisone, so I tend not to want to draw attention.
old lady beeble out.

Hi Ladies! I lurk here but don't post... just heard this morning about a pop-up store in Vancouver to showcase the construction of the Birkin.
On my mobile, so sorry if I can't paste it all. Wasn't sure where to put this so I cross-posted in the Vancouver boutiques thread in the shopping sub.
Hope those of you close by can attend :flowers:
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2016/08/24/hermes-artisans-to-visit-vancouver-for-demo

The company behind the Birkin and Kelly bags will be in Vancouver from Sept. 21-25 with 10 of their artisans demonstrating to the public how it manufactures the Hermes brand’s pricey products.

From 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Hermes will be showcasing its work in a 5,000-square-foot, glass-walled enclosure at Jack Poole Plaza near Canada Place. It’s part of a travelling series called Hermes at Work that’s moved from city to city since 2011 — Vancouver will be the 35th location.

The company said the free event will accommodate several hundred people at a time inside its pop-up building. The whole point is to let attendees talk to the artisans throughout the product-making process.

French-to-English and French-to-Chinese translators will be on site.

As a few examples, visitors can expect to see a leather artisan create Constance and Kelly bags from start to finish, and an Allegro saddle from start to finish.

“Behind the smallest detail, there is a human being, guided by a watchful eye and pride in work well done,” the company said in a statement.

Over the five days, there will be nine types of crafts shown off, including silk printing, saddlemaking, gem setting, silk engraving, silk rolling, watchmaking, porcelain handpainting, glovemaking and leatherwork.

“Hermes is a house that evolves constantly while being deeply rooted in its values and savoir-faire. It is a house of creativity, craftsmanship and humanity,” Jennifer Carter, president and CEO of Hermes Canada, said in a statement.

“We are so delighted to share the experience of Hermès at Work in Vancouver against a stunning west coast backdrop of mountain and ocean.”

Thanks for posting this V0N1B2!
I saw the Festival de Metier when it was in Toronto. Fascinating.

I agree with CG, Beeble. Women in this society (well, all societies, pretty much) have internalized some pretty restrictive, unrealistic and, frankly, random standards about what we're supposed to look like and what bits of us are worthy to be seen. I say phooey. We all deserve to figure out what WE like and what WE feel good in and wear that, without concerning ourselves with what some stranger on the street might think about the length of our sleeves. Or the width of our arms. Or any other damn thing. Men do NOT receive that sort of scrutiny.