HELP: New kitty howls/cries for hours

When my oldest cat Charlie was about 2 yrs. old, we adopted a 3 mo. old male from the humane society. Even though both were males, Charlie became a surrogate "mother" to Oscar, just like your two. They were incredibly bonded. Charlie was always a very friendly, loving and nurturing cat. When Oscar was about 6 mo. old we moved. Oscar had no problem adjusting, but Charlie... well, he spent nearly a week under our bed! He wouldn't come out for anything. This was totally out of character for him. I finally had to put some food, water & a small litter box under there with him. Although Charlie wasn't as vocal as your cat seems to be, he was definitely very stressed by the change in his environment. Maybe the older they are, the less readily they adapt to change. I agree with everyone else though... give him lots of love, attention and reassurance. Once he begins to feel secure in his new surroundings, he should settle right down. Cats can be even more needy than children sometimes, but just like kids, their love is worth the effort.
As a side note, I have another cat, a 16 yr. old spayed female who has always been fairly quiet... until the last few months. She started "crying" in the middle of the night too, for what seems like no apparent reason. Sometimes all it takes is for me to call her name & she stops (that reassurance thing perhaps), but other times she keeps going until I get up and check on her. I'll often find her in the hallway with one of her toy mice, or something like that, laying at her feet. Obviously she's trying to tell me something, but since I don't speak "Cat", I have yet to figure it out.
Be sure to post an update in about a week to let us know how Panko is doing.

Oops! Sorry I got your cats names mixed up. It's Baron that's doing the crying, correct? MPJ has some of the best advice so far. I've always found that cats need a place where they feel nobody can sneak up behind them. That's why they like tight corners & go under beds, etc. I agree that you should try setting up a few safe places for Baron. Charlie used to like squeezing into shoe boxes, even when he got to be twice as big as the box!

Its normal, give him some time. Talk to him constantly in a soothing voice so he knows your voice means comfort.

My oldest Punkin is 8 year sold, 2 years ago she started carrying around a small beanie baby in her mouth and crying with it in her mouth. She would do it forever, usually at night when she's by herself. Its almost like shes sleepwalking. The vet said she's looking for her babies! She was spayed at 6 months and is 8 YEARS old! She sleeps wrapped around this beanie or any other small stuffed toy she can pick up. She is very maternal I guess.

Re: Oh Donna's comments... I thought exactly the same thing about my 16 yr. old (Ophelia) when she started crying and bringing her toys up to the bedrooms at night. Sometimes she ends up with 5 or 6 of them, like she's gathering up her babies. She's never had a litter and was also spayed at about 6 mo. old. Maybe it's just their latent maternal instinct. I just try to comfort her, pet her, and compliment her on her "babies". It does seem to help. Some people might think I'm a little off base, but I'm sure all the cat lovers out there will understand.

I dressed up as the Crazy Cat Lady last Halloween! I even entered a contest at a hotel in Vegas. Some people thought it was hysterical, but others didn't get it. I didn't win, probably because my costume was homemade (some spent a small fortune) but I sure had a lot of fun.

Oops! Sorry I got your cats names mixed up. It's Baron that's doing the crying, correct? MPJ has some of the best advice so far. I've always found that cats need a place where they feel nobody can sneak up behind them. That's why they like tight corners & go under beds, etc. I agree that you should try setting up a few safe places for Baron. Charlie used to like squeezing into shoe boxes, even when he got to be twice as big as the box!

Tomorrow, I'll go out and get him a box. Baron is so wierd, so gentle to Panko. Also, when I hold him/pet him he lies still and doesn't panic/hiss or anything. Sometimes, I catch him peeking out at me from the bed. Today, he came out 3 times even with me around to go bathroom and eat. I'm hoping since its some progression its a good sign. At least he has his lil' Panko to keep him company. I never knew male cats can be so gentle. Panko can bite him, sit next to him while hes going bathroom, walk on him, cuddlehim and he doesn't care and loves him.

I just wish that Baron would not pick 3:30 a.m to 5:30 a.m to whine! I would prefer prior to 1 am . even Panko looks at him like its 3:30 a.m. go to bed!

Cat Dancer -> Cat Dancer Products Home Page It is basically a paper on a wire. But I guess the movement it makes make the cats go CRAZY~~!

I am kinda smiling reading this post:P So cute to imagine that happening especially in the middle of the night!!! Sorry mommy... Some cats really love small and dark places, so creating one for him is a good idea. I look forward to seeing his pictures when he gets bit more brave for the camera shots!

Yes Saphynne, I know what you mean. When my Ophelia spend her nights dragging her "babies" (toys) up to bedroom, then sits there at 4:00 a.m. crying for me to come see, it's tough not to get annoyed - especially when you're stumbling around, sleep deprived, the next day and kitty is happily snoozing the day away. Maybe we all need to get night jobs??? Ha Ha Ha.

Yah! I didn't get woken up at 3:30 a.m. last night. Instead, I woke up at 7:00 am to Baron and Panko chasing each other around the bed. Of course, when I got out of bed he hid under the bed and then peeped out at me. Hopefully, he gets more and more confident.

This morning I opened up my door only to the hallway in my house. The two of them ventured out there and came back. All I can do is take baby steps for my gentle and cautious Baron.

Lizzie: Yes, I agree. Yesterday, I was so tired at work and I got home and checked up on the boys at lunch. Of course, they were bothsound asleep cuddled together while I was so tired.

Saphynne,
when I brought back Yomo, my third cat (my avatar), my other two "beasts" were 2 and 3 yrs old. The first weeks were a nightmare. Yomo kept hissing and growling and making bestial voices to the other two (imagine a really big dog trying to impression another dog) and it went like this for maybe 10-15 days. The other two were plain curious, but were frightened by the voices and Yomo's general attitude (who slept strictly under the couch in the living room, no others allowed around!). Well, the situations became gradually normal, and now they sleep all bundled together, a really heartwarming view. Just give him some time. The presence of the other cat will certainly help him to gain confidence :yes:

My oldest Punkin is 8 year sold, 2 years ago she started carrying around a small beanie baby in her mouth and crying with it in her mouth. She would do it forever, usually at night when she's by herself. Its almost like shes sleepwalking. The vet said she's looking for her babies! She was spayed at 6 months and is 8 YEARS old! She sleeps wrapped around this beanie or any other small stuffed toy she can pick up. She is very maternal I guess.

OMG! My cat does this!! She has a toy mouse and she carries it around the house in her mouth and makes the loudest meowing/crying sound with it! It's a sound she only makes when she has the toy in her mouth. I actually have to tell her that it's "time for baby to go to bed" at night, and put the toy in my drawer so she can't play with it. In the morning, I ask her, "Where's your baby?" and she runs to the drawer and sits below it and meows! :P