Help me stop my handbag obsession

You are SOO right, ItBag, about the "hunt" being the obsession. It makes life interesting, that's for sure... Anyone can buy a bag at full price. The fun, the passion is in the hunt, and the discovery of a new obession. You live in NYC so you can at least see, touch, feel these bags without buying them, so you can tame or inflame, your obsession.

You are SOO right, ItBag, about the "hunt" being the obsession. It makes life interesting, that's for sure... Anyone can buy a bag at full price. The fun, the passion is in the hunt, and the discovery of a new obession. You live in NYC so you can at least see, touch, feel these bags without buying them, so you can tame or inflame, your obsession.

I feel your pain...I was never really a bag freak until I started this forum in November-yikes-bad move! Although I find myself returning every day-I shouldn't. My husband says that I'm obsessed-and in a way I am! :roflmfao: You sound like a southern gal (y'all) that really moved south! (Mexico) Hasta Luego!

I follow the same rule. Only pay cash, limit yourself to one purse a quarter, then you're set.

haha, yes, you might be asking in the wrong place!

But in all honesty, maybe set aside some new rules for yourself? For example, if you're one to put an expensive purse on your credit card, say, "I can't buy a new purse until I can pay for it in cash." That's what I'm doing. You could make yourself have to sell (or give away) a purse before you're allowed to buy a new one. How often are you buying purses? You could set up a rule where you're allowed X number a year, and hold yourself to it. You could buy all of them in one month if you wanted to, but you'd have a pretty boring rest of the year.

Just things like that, I guess. It depends on your shopping habits and the purses you buy. I used to buy a lot of purses, but they were just cute, cheap ones I saw. I have since upped my standards, and now I don't find myself wanting as many (er, I shouldn't say wanting, but I haven't been seriously considering buying as many).

I know what you mean. Coming here actually "curbs" my cravings to buy - I enjoy reading and looking at pics and somehow that satisfies me. I also have started only liking high end designer bags such as LV (my fave). I can't buy those kind of bags all the time and limit myself to two to maybe three a year. Instead of going crazy and buying cheaper bags all the time I wait and get something really nice. I just can't carry around anything crappy these days because that bar has been lifted so high!
I did see a bag recently (cheap) and I wanted it...thought it would be cute for the summer. I carried it around with me in the store for a while and kept looking at it and then I looked down at my LV and thought "why the hell would I leave this at home and carry that??" I put it down and walked out of the store. It's tough but you have to have discipline. Most of my bags just sit in the closet. Good luck with your addiction!

Reactions: hotgalaxy
I guess the "answer" is to accept that there will always be another bag to love, just like there is always another meal to enjoy, another workout to do... To relax and be zen about it: let the next beautiful bag find you! The purse forum helps because I can live vicariously through others, and when one of you purchases a bag...then I can enjoy your purchase! I am into high end bags now, so my purchases have to slow down for financial reasons. Currently a Lanvin Kansas is on my mind.
:wlae:

I guess the "answer" is to accept that there will always be another bag to love, just like there is always another meal to enjoy, another workout to do... To relax and be zen about it: let the next beautiful bag find you! :wlae:

i really like what you wrote there TropicalGal :yes: ...unfortunately 10 beautiful designer bags managed to find me during last 3 months ( since i seriously started spending time on the forum ...;) ) so now i have to lock my door and not let any more of them in for at least next 3 months :supacool:

Reactions: yokoladie
Sorry I don't have an answer... I was looking for an answer myself. Up until about 3 months ago I had never bought a purse that cost more than $150. I would use it until it wore out and then buy a new one. - It started with a Gucci 85th anniversary bag that I fell in love with. Once I broke down and spent that much, I thought... I've always wanted a Louis Vuitton since high-school, why don't I finally buy one (I'm 37 now). So I got a LV and accessories... then I was disgusted by the purses I brought to work... so then 3 Coach bags are now in my collection. And well, my LV wasn't really practical for work (just for going out & shopping)... so bought another LV today. Maybe I'm making up for lost time since I'm 37 and never had a nice bag before... like I'm stocking up for my wardrobe. But I really need to stop NOW! :nuts: -- At least I have no credit card debt... and the spending is just denting my savings.

Another thing that helps is to not buy handbags on the spur of the moment in the store (unless they are on an incredible sale). We should be past love at first sight. It is much better to stalk a bag for awhile. Decide on the object of your affection and don't buy it, just live with the idea of it, occasionally you will fall out of love before you even buy it, saving yourself hundreds of dollars. That has helped me a lot. I too started into my handbag obsession rather late in life (I'm sure I'm the oldest person on this forum!), so I'm making up for lost time. It amazes me that I can finally allow myself to have whatever handbag I want.

Something else that helps me is to visit the local Saks or Nordstroms and merely fondle the bags. I can try them on, feel the leather, open them up and just play.

Normally this shows me that many of my fantasy bags are not as hot as I thought in person.

Something else that helps me is to visit the local Saks or Nordstroms and merely fondle the bags. I can try them on, feel the leather, open them up and just play.

Normally this shows me that many of my fantasy bags are not as hot as I thought in person.

I find this to be so true! I see a picture of a bag and it's in my head but then when I see it in the store, the handle is just a little too short, the weight is just a little too heavy, the flap is just a little too annoying......and instantly, the love is gone, the desire is gone, and the hunt is ON!!

i tried to read the first page of this thread and it's like i didn't even want to know what ppl had to say (no offense i love you ladies)

i have a serious problem. my rent will be late this month. same as last month. it started with this site. the ONLY suggestion i can give you is to stay away, and it's impossible for me. i've been turned off of lower end bags, onto higher end bags, and have bought 4 in the past month, the last one being a Kooba (which is MUCH more expensive than my regular coach or dooney!)

goodluck, i just have to say, this isn't the place to get encouragement to stop lol... if anything, we're a bunch of enablers...

(i like it tho cuz then when i feel like POO for making a purchase SHEERLY because i think i'm spending too much money all you lovely ladies gimme encouragement as to how fabulous the purchase i've made is.... very dangerous!)