Help - how do I clean melted plastic out of the oven?

ashlend

Sep 9, 2006
OMG you guys... help! I just melted a plastic takeout container all over the inside of our oven (no I'm really not an idiot... and of course I know not to put plastic in the oven, but it was a half-awake bit of stupidity.) My husband is on a business trip until tomorrow and I can only imagine the eyerolling that is going to ensue if he finds out about this... I'm working at home today, what's the best way to clean it? I thought maybe I should do it right now before it dries, but it's like really sticky glue and I can't move it at all, plus the oven is still really hot - I almost burned myself.

Ash

I don't think it's good to clean it while it's still hot. Be careful with the fumes! I bought some goo off (orange color spray bottle) from home depot the other day and it takes off glue, paint, etc.

Thanks, I opened the window to get the fumes out! I will try again when it cools... I just hope it doesn't get too hard. But it was pretty flimsy plastic to start with (like I said, it was just a takeout container) so hopefully it won't be rock hard when it cools or anything and maybe I can just chip it off.

Use a hardened plastic/wood spatula and scrape it off. If that doesn't work, heat up the oven just a bit so that the plastic becomes a bit more pliable, then try again. If that doesn't work, use a flathead screwdriver or a chisel and gently scrape. Maybe put some duct tape on the edge of the bevel (of the screwdriver or chisel) so the metal doesn't scratch the surface.

Yikes! I hope you are able to get it off... I agree with Charles let the oven cool and scrape it off, maybe try a bit of the non stick spray too and hopefully it will grease it up under and help it peel off. GL I hope it comes out.