Help! 2 Smelly Bags from Hong Kong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought a total of six bags from Eva (authentic_lvlady) - never have had any of them have any kind of smell. I do know I have heard that epi leather even new in the store can have a "cat pee smell." It is the epi leather from what I understand. My bags have all been great from her. No smell even holding them directly under my nose - but they were all monogram. I do think there can be a kind of scent from other countries (I used to live in India when I was little). It should air out. I don't know about epi leather though because I've heard this from other buyers even new. I think if you do a search for "cat pee smell" with "Epi," you may find lots of posts, not related to any one seller. There are some tips on how to deal with it.

I found two pages of threads about the smell of some batches of EPI leather, like horrible cat pee smell, and that LV is aware of it. A lot of these were new bags. Shalome Jude mentioned she had to return a bag that was less than 30 days old because of it. There were two or three other people that returned new, Boutique purchased bags because of it.

You may want to give LV a call and see what they suggest. One of the threads had some good ideas on how they got rid of the smell so if you do a search on epi and smell, you may be able to find out ways to combat it. I don't think it's anything the sellers did. I do know for both Let-Trade and Authentic_lvlady, they take bags on consignment so if the person that brought them the bag stored it in mothballs that can be an issue - so I always just ask about mothballs to make sure the particular bag I want wasn't stored that way. Neither of those sellers store their bags after they get them in mothballs though - it's just if it was stored that way before they got it.

Try calling LV to see if they can help. The smelly epi situation is a known problem that they are familiar with and I think was certain years or batches from what I understand.

Only some Mandarin Epi bags had the infamous "Cat pee Smell" It was a bad lot of die for the lining. LV actually replaces those bags due to the defect, it was a small # of bags. Epi does have a smell that is different then a regular leather. I think it's actually the die that smells, LV has to saturate the color into the leather & it does smell a little but not like the OP is describing :sad: I feel so sad for her because these are such pretty bags.

I feel bad too - Smells are so subjective. I'm just so sorry. The red epi with the gold hardware was actually so pretty!

I've never gotten an EPI bag so I just don't know about them. I just know all six bags I've gotten from her over a period of about 4 years have never had a problem. She is such a nice person. I'm glad she's taking care of it for you - she's a wonderful seller that way.

You've all been so nice and empathetic - thank you!

The red Epi Speedy 30 is going back to authentic_lvlady when I have time to take it to the post office on Saturday - no ifs ands or buts about it. I don't know if it is the batch of Epi leather - but I've been in the LV store and handled several Epi bags - and none of them had this stink.

As for the yellow Epi Alma (yep, that was me!) - I'm worried that the musty smell may always linger - or that I'll always be sniffing for it. I'll send Let-Trade an email on Friday and tell him I want to send it back for a refund (unless it miraculously de-smells by then). From what everyone is saying, he should be understanding and accommodating, too.

Unfortunately - for whatever the reasons - I've learned a lesson the hard way. I'm going to stick with new bags - even if I have fewer of them and it takes me longer to save up to get them. For the price of these two, I could have bought one sparkling clean new one - and that would have been the best thing.

Thanks, again, to all who've given me advise and moral support!! I love The Purse Forum!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

I have the red epi 25 with the gold hardware & it is one of my favorite bags. Mothballs just smell so gross, I can't imagine how a bag sitting in a closet marinating in them must smell :weird: I guess they are neccesary for that climate though.
Glad to know that there are nice sellers out there, she does sound pretty great.

One of my items from Let-Trade was mothball-eeee but now there's no smell. I guess after using it for a few weeks the smell just went away. Instead of Febreeze use a car air freshner like squash. It smells SOOOOOO GOOOD. Don't use the spray, you can get a refill and it smells REALLY REALLY GOOD. It's by Air Spencer and the flavor is squash. After you air out your bag with it you can leave it in your car and have it smell super good also. =]
213_x.jpg

One of my items from Let-Trade was mothball-eeee but now there's no smell. I guess after using it for a few weeks the smell just went away. Instead of Febreeze use a car air freshner like squash. It smells SOOOOOO GOOOD. Don't use the spray, you can get a refill and it smells REALLY REALLY GOOD. It's by Air Spencer and the flavor is squash. After you air out your bag with it you can leave it in your car and have it smell super good also. =]
213_x.jpg

the sqaush scent air freshner balls would work too.. the tiny little scented balls from japan...

Oh sweetie - I"m so sorry and I understand you soooo well :crybaby:

My black Noe Epi from Eva was in "treatement" for about 1 month (and we talk about a bag that I could smell through the box at the Post office) : fresh air, baking soda, Lampe Bergere, ionizer, soaking - just the inside (yes,I was that brave/crazy :wtf: after I"ve read another PFer post) in warm water with Tocca laundry detergent (the yummy orange blossom one :yes: ) and it still has a faint mothbally/orangey smell :sad: .

My impression is that Eva is imune at the mothball smell and I'm happy that she will accept to reimburse you

MY bag from LT on the other hand is in mint condition with no smell at all :wlae:

The pathetic thing is that I keep wandering back to the table where I have them both laid out (like a funeral parlor!) to re-smell the bags - and each time I'm disappointed because they still smell.

My boyfriend is getting annoyed with me - and is yelling "stop smelling the damn bags!"

LOL!!!!!!!!! :P

Reactions: Realtor by day
The pathetic thing is that I keep wandering back to the table where I have them both laid out (like a funeral parlor!) to re-smell the bags - and each time I'm disappointed because they still smell.

My boyfriend is getting annoyed with me - and is yelling "stop smelling the damn bags!"

LOL!!!!!!!!! :P

OMG you are to funny - you should have seen my husband's eyes :wtf: when my Noe was in treatement with his "insides out" on the porch for a whole month. Lucky me I told him that's some smell bag I've got at Godwill for a few $ that needs to be aired - if he only knew....:wtf:
That's some nasty smell....:crybaby: I know....

OMG you are to funny - you should have seen my husband's eyes :wtf: when my Noe was in treatement with his "insides out" on the porch for a whole month. Lucky me I told him that's some smell bag I've got at Godwill for a few $ that needs to be aired - if he only knew....:wtf:
That's some nasty smell....:crybaby: I know....

Ha!!!!!!!!!! If he only knew!!!!!!!!!!! :sweatdrop:

My boyfriend thinks I'm THE biggest fool in the world for buying these bags sight unseen off the internet - from all the way in Hong Kong, no less. He keeps telling me that his mother got a new DKNY bag on sale at Macy's...jeez.... :hysteric:

Status
Not open for further replies.