Has anyone got the MacBook Air yet?

FYI...there are other brands that fall under the "ultra portable" label as well. Technically, they're aren't as light or thin, but they do come with optical drives and are cheaper as well as offer more storage and better CPU speeds. In the end, ask yourself, is saving 4 ounces and an 1/8 of an inch really worth 3-400 bucks to you?

Don't listen to Charles, he and Steve Jobs went through a bad breakup a few months back and he's still bitter.

and the Air is only worth it if you're going to take it around with you basically every day, imo. i take my 15", 5.4 pound MacBook Pro with me to school every day and don't think twice about it. it's not much larger than a regular 3-subject paper notebook. I can't exactly put it in my purse, but I'm ok with that. it cost a little bit more than the air, but it's an awesome computer.

I just quickly took these photos. I hope they help.
I think a Mac is unbeatable!
This is the MacBook Pro with the MacBook Air

Attachments

• mac air.JPG
    mac air.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 46
  • macbook air:pro.JPG
    macbook air:pro.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 54
  • air:pro.JPG
    air:pro.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 60
I'm so tempted..LOL. It's just too good to be true..haha. I'll wait for a while and see if there are any bad things about it, before I even start thinking about getting one. After a few months to a year, they will surely improve it right?

^^^ I'm SOOOO jealous!

I feel terrible for wanting an Air, so soon after I got my MacBook :shame: I really don't use my laptop for much except to browse tPF and watch movies on, so I don't have need for a techie laptop. I do love my MacBook, and only wish that it was lighter so I can put it in my Balenciaga Work to carry around! :P

That really sucks, IntlSet-- could you upgrade or is it integrated with the motherboard?

Integrated. And it's only 6 months old. It's still under warrantee but honestly, I plan to just dump it so soon it's not even worth sending in. I paid about $800 for it. You get what you pay for... apparently!

Don't listen to Charles, he and Steve Jobs went through a bad breakup a few months back and he's still bitter.

and the Air is only worth it if you're going to take it around with you basically every day, imo. i take my 15", 5.4 pound MacBook Pro with me to school every day and don't think twice about it. it's not much larger than a regular 3-subject paper notebook. I can't exactly put it in my purse, but I'm ok with that. it cost a little bit more than the air, but it's an awesome computer.

Please point out anything I said that's incorrect. For the money, the Air is a waste. I mean really, the specs are worse than the Macbook's (slower CPU speed, no optical drive, it does have a gig more memory, but that's a 50 buck option, yet it costs 700 bucks more and is only 1/4 inch thicker).
As for other brands that offer ultra portables, at this point, pretty much every manufacturer does. Sony, Dell, Toshiba, HP.

I'll stick to my macbook.... I "played" w/the macbook air @ the apple store this weekend, and just something about it I didn't like. Plus the black keys make it really ugly....

Please point out anything I said that's incorrect. For the money, the Air is a waste. I mean really, the specs are worse than the Macbook's (slower CPU speed, no optical drive, it does have a gig more memory, but that's a 50 buck option, yet it costs 700 bucks more and is only 1/4 inch thicker).
As for other brands that offer ultra portables, at this point, pretty much every manufacturer does. Sony, Dell, Toshiba, HP.

jesus. joke. we know you don't like mac. i never implied that other companies don't make small computers, often for lower prices. mac certainly is not a 'value' brand.

but there's one big problem with all those other brands - they all run windows...

Geez!! Well, hey, maybe when I get a virus on my PC (cause I've never gotten one), or it locks up and crashes on a regular basis (I leave mine on 24/7 and it never crashes, although, I do have to restart once a month or so cause it randomly loses network connections), maybe then I'll think about paying a grand for a Mac. As it stands, I just purchased a barebones PC with 2gb memory and a 2.4ghz AMD processor for 140 bucks. All I need to do is swap in my old hard drive. Although, I have to admit, it's coming in a big ole ugly black case. Maybe I'll spray paint a big apple on the side! ;)

Back to topic...can you at least admit that the Air is overpriced for what you get?