Handbag Obsession - What is wrong with me???

Hey, Bags.......I'm formerly from Northern Michigan. I know when the sky would be grey for months and there would be huge masses of snow on the ground, I would spend my money on items that made me feel good.......candles, pillows, purses, purses, purses, purses.......Now that I live in Florida, I have it pretty much under control, and I think sunlight or the lack of it and warmth has something to do with at least MY spending habits.

Hmmm... you may be on to something here. :graucho:

Bags4Bubbles........I just know that I am truly speaking from experience on this subject. I could never figure out why after the holidays, no matter what we had going on for a diversion, I was always in a slump and slightly depressed. I dealt with it by re-arranging furniture, buying new rugs, pillows, candles, pictures, soap dishes, shower curtains.....little things like that. Also, I would drive 2 hours to our better mall to spend money on purses and shoes. It made me feel a whole lot better for a short period of time. Then the cycle would begin again. I believe I suffered from sunlight deprivation because where we lived it would be cloudy the whole month of November until we had a few sunny days in January. Seeing that this is the middle of March, you are probably really sick of winter by now and are trying to compensate by buying and thinking of handbags, too. This may be a very off-the-wall suggestion, but why don't you try going to a tanning booth for about 15 minutes 2 times a week to see if it helps you. When I started doing that, I noticed a difference, really, I did. It seems like a bandaid, but I think I know how you feel. I haven't felt those feelings since I moved here where it is sunny 360 days out of the year. :smile: ;)

angel - I think he would prefer that I didn't buy either. :P Unfornuately for him, its going to be one or the other.

batgirl - I do think this is on the right track. The house isn't even nearly complete (decoration wise), so I feel like there is constantly something that needs to be done. DH doesn't understand that part unfornuately.

citychris - Good idea on the colors! My whole house would end up in blues!! In all seriousness... I do lean towards similiar color tastes in both areas. And after sleeping on it, I've already ruled out a bunch of fabric choices they sent home with me!! :smile:

hautemama - Thank you!! It will be worth it in the end. It's just the whole, seeing the forest through the trees thing...

Bagluvluv - Bags are just so easy to love... :graucho:

songofthesea - Thanks for posting that... I hadn't really thought about that, and it is stressful, even if under good circumstances & for a good cause. I gave up my business for his promotion here. I sold my business, gave up having my income, in some ways made a small career sacrifice, moved somewhere where I don't know anyone, and I am now in the process of starting graduate school, which is a good thing, but again - stressful. I think a pedicure is in order...

pseub & Miss Sooky - I do think I am escaping from "everything", by coming here to hang out and focusing on bags & shoes... Not a bag thing, but something to recognize nonetheless.:wlae:

Rainbow - That could be it partly too... I really like it here, but I might be afraid of decorating how I like it, and then having to move again. My DH has received a few promotions right in a row, so we have moved twice within the past 9 months. While he is at the company headquarters now, nothing is set in stone AND the company is undergoing some changes right now... Nothing is ever certain!

misslola - LOL... I know. I would rather spend thousands of dollars on shoes & handbags... A table or couch, if I could get something that design-wise that I am looking for, at around $500 - SOLD!! LOL... *sigh*, not gonna happen. Why is furniture so darn expensive BTW??? It is just some wood, stapled together!!! (Sorry to people that love furniture...) I guess it is a big part of your everyday life.

Whew. Thanks for all of the responses ladies. I wanted to reply individually, because it gave me a chance to consider each of your responses at one time. I'm feeling better about this... I think it will happen in its own time. :shrugs:

Bags4Bubbles........I just know that I am truly speaking from experience on this subject. I could never figure out why after the holidays, no matter what we had going on for a diversion, I was always in a slump and slightly depressed. I dealt with it by re-arranging furniture, buying new rugs, pillows, candles, pictures, soap dishes, shower curtains.....little things like that. Also, I would drive 2 hours to our better mall to spend money on purses and shoes. It made me feel a whole lot better for a short period of time. Then the cycle would begin again. I believe I suffered from sunlight deprivation because where we lived it would be cloudy the whole month of November until we had a few sunny days in January. Seeing that this is the middle of March, you are probably really sick of winter by now and are trying to compensate by buying and thinking of handbags, too. This may be a very off-the-wall suggestion, but why don't you try going to a tanning booth for about 15 minutes 2 times a week to see if it helps you. When I started doing that, I noticed a difference, really, I did. It seems like a bandaid, but I think I know how you feel. I haven't felt those feelings since I moved here where it is sunny 360 days out of the year. :smile: ;)

Thanks CompassRose!! You know... I have NEVER lived somewhere that the weather was like this!! It is wierd... the sun literally doesn't come out for MONTHS at a time!! The sun has started to come out, but its not everyday... so hopefully when the weather starts to be a little more "normal", I will feel better....

The tanning bed is a great idea... I :heart: tanning. I used to tan for years (8th grade through a little bit after college), it is like a spa session or relaxing thing for me. Unfornuately, DH doesn't get that and he HATES that I want to tan. I haven't been tanning for over 1 1/2 or 2 years now, but I may have to do it occasionally, it is something that I really enjoy...

Bags! If you just go for 15 minutes, it will be just like a therapy session.....you don't need to go to get color, you just need your skin to produce the vitamin D!! After a few sessions, you might even feel like looking at furniture after all!! :yahoo:

Nothing is wrong with you. If I had even one extra room in my house I'd convert it to a closet for ME so that I could have my own private closet space for all my bags and I could expand my wardrobe, which is tiny because I have no closet space. :sad:

Nothing worse than having to share a closet with a man. :Push:

My husband has seasonal affective disorder, and it becomes really apparent about mid-winter. A tanning bed, surprisingly, really does help him. We've also installed full-spectrum lighting in his office, which has made a difference, too.

I never associated that with my spending habits, but it now seems possible that I struggle with it mildly myself!

What? grocery shopping? i'm not THAT hungry. oh rents late a week? (I DID pay my rent tho lol) well the landlord shoulda fixed the shower. gas in my car? driving to freeport (almost 2 hours away) to go to the coach or dooney outlet? i needed to get out of town it was for my mental health. spending all my money while i'm there? pssh. it's instead of going to therapy. dude i'd find any excuse to do the purse thing. browsing buying drooling. it's an obession for sure. just know you're not alone LOL

Oh man, I can't tell you how much remodeling of my townhouse I could have done vs. spending a few grand on bags in the past year. But you know what, it's all good. My bags are paid for, I've got a great tax return coming in soon, and with a little (OK a lot) of discipline I will stick with my lighting and electrical updates that are badly needed here at home with that $$ vs. blowing it on bags.

I totally understand where you are coming from - I'm moving next week and I'm spending way too much time reading tPF when I'm really supposed to be packing my stuff to go, I can't get motivated, yet I really am excited about the move .. on your note : bags can be more fun to shop for than household stuff LOL. I'm moving from a large US city to a smaller Canadian city very soon and have known that for a few months so I've been buying quite a lot of bags and accessories, as my selections will be smaller - but lord knows I'll have a lot more room in the new house and will need more furniture so I have to make that mental switch too -- thus my purse ban for a while -- but then I can get back to it if I chose :smile: ..

Just think how great it will be once you have all the new furniture pieces in place, and its not just something you will enjoy as you do with your bags, everyone that visits your house or stays there gets to see and enjoy the furniture -- maybe to make it fun for you keep in the back of our mind, "will that piece have a great spot to place my X bag on it" or "will it go well with my X bag"? - why not? LoL :smile: you can use that as your inspiration in decorating to make it fun till you get through it.

Even some designers have home furnishing lines - maybe think of adding some pillows, accessories or throws from some of them .. or frame a scarf from one of them as a decor item .. there are many ways to try to bring your love of bags into your decorating while you can't spend the money on bags for a bit, at least these are things I'm thinking about myself as I am about to spend some time furnishing and decorating our extra space in our new home before I remove my ban. Good luck!

I think you're probably just regarding the shopping for furniture as a bit of a chore, whereas bag shopping is always a pleasure!

It's easier to spend time on things we enjoy...

And I agree about the weather thing, I live in Queensland, Australia, and there are days, believe it or not! when I can't stand to go inside a store or a mall because it's too beautiful outside and I just want to be out in the fresh air and sunshine all day.

I would suggest doing the furniture shopping in small steps only and stop when you feel like you've had enough. Let it go and come back when you're ready. Otherwise you might end up with a really big bronze sculpture of a rabbit...for no reason...this happened, um, to a friend of mine...ok, possibly to me...

Nothing is wrong with you. I live in Hong Kong and here we have only a few space because our houses are very small. I always get mad with my mom / yaya / DH whenever they take out my handbags and put it somewhere not visible to my eyes and conquers a lot of space inside my bedroom!