guilt over purchases?

I used to feel guilty over purchases because even though I was raised in a nice but unpretentious suburb, my folks taught my brothers and me to save money and to not splurge. Get things on sale whenever possible. They could certainly afford to pay full price on most anything I'm sure, but they both love the thrill of a bargain (and have wonderful taste to boot!).

A lot of that has rubbed off on me, but a part of me loves to spoil myself with luxuries. My Mom thinks spending $200 on a bag is a lot. There are a lot of great bags out there at that price. We went bag shopping for her awhile back and I found a wonderful cream colored classic Gucci which would suit her to a tee. But she didn't like the idea of spending $1000+ on a bag. She'd probably flip if she knew how much I've been spending!
I think we have similar upbringings. When I graduated college and my college car was dying, I bought a brand new car-a small car. My mother said, "We never bought a brand new car in our lives!". Strangely within months my parents bought a brand new Oldsmobile.
My mother would constantly take back jewelry my dad would give her at Christmas, saying he spent too much money. She would flip over my purse collection.
I was raised like this and I think it has had somewhat of an opposite effect on me!

girl... i know how you feel :P
that's why whenever i get an expensive bag, i'll let go one of my bag that i don't use a lot.
but it is your birthday, you are entitled to be happy with your purchase.

Does anyone feel guilty about how much they spend on a bag after they take it home? I think I experienced that today. My birthday is in like 4 days and I figured I would buy myself an "early" birthday present. But when I came home my mom asked how much it costed and started flipping out she kept going is it 50? 100?? I didn't have the heart to tell her it was around $400. So I just lied and said yes it was 100, to which she flipped out on also. :sad: She even suggested I return it, and now I feel so guilty about lying ot her about the price I feel like I might return it. What should I do? I've been racking my brain deciding what to buy for months but now I feel all guilty about it.

I have sooooo been in your shoes. But after a while, I've learned that there are certain things moms just don't need to know about. Sex is definitely one and egregious handbags purchases is the other. I am 31 years old and I still lie to my mom about my purses. I think she would just disown me if she knew I have spent over a thousand bucks on a single piece of leather...:graucho: