Goyard?

I think you have to see Goyard in person to appreciate it. The dots are hand-painted and you can tell. But granted I thought the totes were too flimsy and looked cheaper, I prefered the structured bags. I think they're so much classier than the imprinted LVs, but that is my opinion. I also love the color choices. I'm planning on buying some bags when I go to Paris. Oh and btw. Ebay has fake Goyards already b/c Jessica Simpson has one I guess.

winternight said:
I think you have to see Goyard in person to appreciate it.

I agree with you that one has to see it in person to appreciate it.

Oh and btw. Ebay has fake Goyards already b/c Jessica Simpson has one I guess.

REALLY!!!!!???? :blink: Thanks for pointing that out. BTW, is it against PF rule to ask for the links of the fake ones so we can see and compare for future reference?? If yes, please ignore it; otherwise, I would love to learn :P

I love Goyard bags -- 'have 2 so far -- a red St. Louis Tote PM and an orange Fidji hobo. I didn't understand what the hoopla was about at first, but I still bought the tote. At first I wasn't so impressed with it, but the more I use it, the more I appreciate its features: very lightweight, waterproof, understated (since Goyard is not yet an upstream brand), easily packable and can hold tons of stuff. I use my tote as a diaper bag and I don't worry about any spillage -- 'just clean it with a damp cloth and it's good as new again.

The hobo, is a wonder, on its own, -- colors are lovely and they also hold a ton!

Prices are much reasonable in Paris than in Barney's -- they also vary depending on whether you want the basic or the limited edition colors.

I can totally understand, though, that Goyard is an acquired taste -- like sushi :smile:. To me, personally, I don't regret spending money on this brand....I plan to buy more of the hobos and the croisiere styles :smile:

Goyard is an old French house founded on a wonderful history. The house was founded in 1853. If they are indeed still painting those little dots by hand and if they are still hand-stitched, then I would love to own one of these precious pieces of history and fine art. The wife of the founder was a couturier, I suspect some of her influence into meticulously painting those little dots and painstakingly placing each stitch…probably adored every moment of it. It is not pretentious or a snooty selling point, it is craft, it represents what is left of a dying art... If they are keeping to the traditions as they begin to emerge from their little home in Paris and introduce their products to the rest of the world, I applaud them for not taking the easy road and becoming sellouts. Not everything is about selling as many handbags as possible, in fact, it has backfired on Vuitton who regret flooding the market with their readily available pieces and have all but lost the fine traditions of the house as a result…what a pity.

Ammietwist, I thank you for inspiring me to make a phone call and get to the bottom of the matter. When they open their shop this morning, I will ring them up and I will ask them where they are crafted and if those dots are still hand painted. I hope they will say yes…if they do, then I can’t wait to get one…if not, then I will keep looking to the little designers and leather crafts people who are just as romantic as I am about finding a way to breathing new life into a beautiful old art. I say their names every chance I get in hopes that their art will survive and they won’t have to find themselves stifled and in deep depressions creating things only envisioned by marketing people finding as many ways as possible to cut corners and increase profits. I will spare you mentioning their names in this lengthy post as it belongs to the house of Goyard.

Beautiful artwork can be made with computers now…does that mean we should make artists who still use pots of paint and brushes get “real-jobs”? If we make them into mere marketing machines, then we are doing nothing less than killing them.

Bravo to those people who still work with their hands and give us portable works of art in which to carry our cell phones=)

Forgive me for the lengthy post…I hope you understand…

I love Goyard, I have a white Croisiere 35 and I adore it. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see. I think its perfect and very durable. Its wonderful to see the artistry since the monogram is hand painted and the wonderful variations they have in color and customization prevent things from getting boring. It is still a fairly underground brand I've seen a few people wearing it in Manhattan but the second I leave the city most people have never even heard of it. I like that though. I'd hate to see the brand become ubiquitous like Vuitton. I've got no problem with Vuitton and my mother adores them but I think the Goyards are more me.

From what I have experienced the quality is equal to or better than my Vuittons. I've had no problems with the bag at all and its proven very durable particularly for a white bag. I find it to be very classic and and not at all trendy. I agree that it is an aquired taste but I think most bags are :yes: I plan on going back to get a few more pieces especially for travel.

As for the prices I don't find them to be particularly bad for the bags since the chevron print is done by hand. As for the wallet it is a bit much but eh I don't really want a wallet so I tend to just ignore the price on that :roflmfao:

Alexandra, I loved reading your post and yes, they do still paint by hand. You can tell when you see the bag in person and sometimes from pictures. Its rather lovely. Its great to have a bag with some craftsmanship to it, I bought a bag when I was in Buenos Aires that has a horn attached to it, its a hobo and made of the softest leather, I really love it and its so different that people in BA were surprised that I bought it there!

As for the fake on Ebay, I'm pretty sure Item #6884636222 is fake. See #6884221633, which the same seller sold. You can also see the seller's negative feedbacks at either toolhaus.org or goofbay.com. This seller didn't have any, but I just don't buy it that she has a bunch of new bags that retail over $1,000 that she is selling for a couple of hundred. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this. Hard for me to tell from the picture, its small and there is only one.

Winternight, I would love to see your bag from Buenos Aires! How wonderful!

Sonya, if you let me know the model you are interrested in, I can check the price here for you, if you like? I have to find a way to get out of my office and make it over there to take some more photos!

Or simply write an e-mail to the french mail adress, I even asked for dimensions and if a A4 folder would fit in and the person who replied explained everything very well. they can also ship things to you at least if you live in Europe.

alexandrainparis said:
Winternight, I would love to see your bag from Buenos Aires! How wonderful!

Sonya, if you let me know the model you are interrested in, I can check the price here for you, if you like? I have to find a way to get out of my office and make it over there to take some more photos!

Thank you. :biggrin:

I'm interested in the Croisiere 35 and St. Louis PM.

I heard they are no longer painting crowns on the bags because some members of royalty complained. Is this true? Also, do you know if the skull motif is only available in Japan or if I can order that in the US?

Thanks again.

sonya said:
Thank you. :biggrin:

I'm interested in the Croisiere 35 and St. Louis PM.

I heard they are no longer painting crowns on the bags because some members of royalty complained. Is this true? Also, do you know if the skull motif is only available in Japan or if I can order that in the US?

Thanks again.

The skull cracks me up! I think someone on thefashionspot forum had a dragon painted one - you can have custom work, its just expensive.

Alexandra, I'll look up the website info. for the Buenos Aires store - I couldn't find it the other day for some reason, I'll also see if I can post a nice picture of my bag too. I love the horn detailing. I like your posts about lesser known designers - I think its great to find treasures like that and to support new designers. Actually, I wish I would have bought more from the store in Buenos Aires when I was there! I thought my bag was expensive at $200+ and now I'm looking at Muses and Hermes!

Please post any price info. I'm hoping to get to Paris this year!