Goyard - Quality and Durability Discussion

Jun 22, 2008
Haven’t seen a thread about this topic so I figured we should have a discussion about it.

How have your Goyard bags held up? Have you had any quality issues? Are you happy with Goyard’s repair service?

Goyard craftsmanship is impeccable, comparable to Hermès in my opinion. The print will show wear overtime, it can fade and lose some of its dots, especially in areas were there is a lot of rubbing. I personally do not mind it too much, it adds character and gives the bag a historical look (like the old trunks). :love:

I never had any other issues with one of my items.

Love Goyard!! I have a few dots faded away on my oldest bag, but nothing major at all. One bag is painted with initials and stripes - no signs of wear to the paint. Still beautiful years later.

Depends on which bag IMO. My Saint Louis straps cracked after a few months. I have a senat and while the print has worn well, it’s gotten stretched out noticeably from being stuffed. I’ve owned it a few months. I have not had that issue with leather pouches. I also don’t think goyard is anywhere near comparable to hermes based on these limited experiences. As for after service IMO it’s awful. Don’t expect any complimentary services for cracked handles.

I love my Goyard items but did notice the leather piping on the corners of my cap verts showed wear very quickly, within the first weeks of daily wear. Everything else still looks new after 2 years, just the piping.

Reactions: edgar.kings
Depends on which bag IMO. My Saint Louis straps cracked after a few months. I have a senat and while the print has worn well, it’s gotten stretched out noticeably from being stuffed. I’ve owned it a few months. I have not had that issue with leather pouches. I also don’t think goyard is anywhere near comparable to hermes based on these limited experiences. As for after service IMO it’s awful. Don’t expect any complimentary services for cracked handles.
How old is the ST?

I can understand streching if you’re overstuffing anything.

I can’t compare Goyard to Hermes or Chanel or other luxury leather designers, it’s canvas. I think it’s higher quality than LV (I own both) but that’s about the only other brand I can really compare.

• Insightful
Reactions: masanmasan
I was offered an orange Cap Vert by my SA at Bergdorf but I didn’t buy it because there was a lot of wrinkling/creases on the leather trimming by the zipper upon closer inspection. It seems like it’s a common issue because some posters in the Cap Vert thread have encountered the same problem with their brand new Cap Verts.

• Sad
Reactions: Chaliya and SDC2003
the glazing on the handles of both St Louis (2012, 2016) cracked, which I don’t mind. But on one (navy) the glazing also started melting after 4 years and colouring my skin and clothes. So I had the handles replaced in the Paris store. It was free as the glazing was considered defective. Took only 2 weeks. The new glazing is so thin it cannot possibly crack.

I also have tiny (1-2mm) holes in the corners of my St Louis GM. Since I wore it a lot I don’t mind.

My card holder that I used as a wallet for 3 years straight still looks pristine apart from a little stretching. But I always put it in a bag, never wear it in the pockets of pants like the gents would usually do.

I’m very happy with the brand, quality and after sales service. I do understand some people are frustrated as Goyard seems to not answer emails let alone social media messages. But luckily I always got what I wanted.

How old is the ST?

I can understand streching if you’re overstuffing anything.

I can’t compare Goyard to Hermes or Chanel or other luxury leather designers, it’s canvas. I think it’s higher quality than LV (I own both) but that’s about the only other brand I can really compare.
I noted time frames of ownership on my post for both.

@SDC2003 you said the straps cracked after a few months, not when you bought it :smile: I asked because I haven't heard that happen in the past few years. The boutique told me a few years ago there's no longer an issue but it typically happened to those who used the bag as a workhorse (like carried computers), it was made to carry light items. I don't own one so I asked out of pure curiosity!

Reactions: MochaJen
@SDC2003 you said the straps cracked after a few months, not when you bought it :smile: I asked because I haven't heard that happen in the past few years. The boutique told me a few years ago there's no longer an issue but it typically happened to those who used the bag as a workhorse (like carried computers), it was made to carry light items. I don't own one so I asked out of pure curiosity!

I’m not SDC2003, but have St Louis with both the old, cracking and new handles. The new glazing is so thin it can’t crack IMO. To be honest the old one was so thick the handles felt more rounded and comfortable when carrying them. The new ones feel sharp around the edges and dig into the hands more than the old ones. I still have the old type on my white St Louis PM bought in 2012 and hope it never melts. I really prefer the old handle glazing.

Reactions: Swanky