Going to Kauai

bagnshoofetish

Oh. Gee.
O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
Next week DH and I are taking a long deserved vacation on the island of Kauai. We plan on being vegetables on the beach the whole time but just in case we get a burst of energy:

is there anything anyone can reccomend we absolutely must see/do while there?

and of course, if I NEED to shop, any recommendations?

thanks and I think DH is bringing his laptop so I'll check in a couple o' times.

Ok, I haven't been to Kauai, but my friends just recently went. They said it was a great island for relaxing and outdoor sports. But in terms of shopping and nightlife, it's pretty "dead." But you can always take a charter plane/boat and head over to Maui or one of the other more "populous" islands for the day...

But if you want to veg and relax--sounds like Kauai is the perfect spot!

I went there and Maui on my honeymoon! It is amazing! PM me with your email address and I will send you a list of restaurants and things like that!

Kauai has some spectacular waterfalls--Fantasy Island was filmed there. But there isn't much shopping or nightlife. Vegging out on the beach--Kauai is the place to do that.

I love Kauai!!! It's such a beautiful place. And the perfect location to relax. But there is also lots to do. One thing everyone recommends is to take a helicopter tour. You'll see awesome waterfalls and much more. A lot of the island is inaccesible unless you see it by air or sea. A catamaran tour up the Na Pali coast is a lot of fun and you get to see lots of dolphins, etc. But this time of year, it might be too choppy and rough, so I'd recommend the heli. Also, make sunset reservations at the Beach House in the southern part of the island for dinner one night. Waimea Canyon is also gorgeous. Lots of hiking and snorkeling. If you are into gardens, Allerton Gardens (national tropical botanical garden) is supposed to be pretty sweet. And be sure to drink a "Lava Flow."

If you have time, I'd recommend getting "Ultimate Kauai Guidebook."

But then, it's also THE perfect place to just veg out and relax while checking out the breathtaking scenary.

But alas, Kauai is not a shopping mecca. Perhaps check out a farmer's market??

Hope some of this helps, and have a fantastic time!!!

Check out Poipu and the Beach House - have a nice sunset dinner there. Drive around the island, it's beautiful. Don't forget to look up at the sky at night, you will see millions and millions of stars - I never knew there were that many until I was in Kauai. There is not much shopping there. Vegging on the beach seems like a great idea! Have fun!

Go surfing
Waimea Canyon is awesome
Check out Hanalei beach
Hike some of the trails but load up on bug spray
Jump off Kipu falls
Check out Kilauea lighthouse (great view) :supacool:
Drive around the island (the full see from one end to the other)
Go out to Polihale
Look out for the MASS chickens running loose :upsidedown:

Check out the book "Ultimate Kauai Guidebook"
Eat some of the local foods or attend a luau :yes:

I am so jealous, I'd :heart: to go back there... Have fun!!

:nuts: Please take me with you! We went on our honeymoon to Kauai and Oahu and absolutely loved it.

Kauai has got to be the most beautiful place I have ever seen. It's so green and lush. We stayed at Hanalei Bay Resort. If you can, make a dinner reservation there for sunset time. It looks out over the bay ~ where the song "Puff the Magic Dragon" was written for.

Here's a view of Hanalei Bay and on the other side, the mountain view:
hbr.jpghbmountain.jpg

Take a boat tour so you can see the magnificent mountains. We had dolphins swimming with our boat ~ the water is so clear you can see straight down. They kept right up with us.

Make sure you get some malasadas! Fresh and hot from a local bakery. Yummy!

Make sure you visit Kee Beach ~ lots of good snorkeling there. You can also take a 2 mile or 11 mile hike. It's absolutely breathtaking. It's called The Kalalua Trail.

If you want designer and luxury shopping, you'll have to take an island hopper plane to Oahu. Right now there's a special through Travelzoo for interisland flights for $19! Find Airfare, Airline Tickets, Flights, and More | Travelzoo