Gaffers Tape, Plasti-Dip, Sole Protectors and More: The Red Sole Project

Wow - that looks awesome! I'm still trying to figure out what's the best option. I still have some red Vibrams from Brian that are waiting to be applied, but this looks like an easy DIY option! Keep us updated on how it wears.

So is plasti-dip actually plastic? Did you wear them all over?

I want to hear the results after you wear them for a month or two!

(I wish CL would just make some rubber soles for those of us that want to wear soles on pavement!)

Thanks you guys!!!

I've worn my Beige 2x already after I've applied this on and the bottom hasn't flaked or peeled off, but when that happens, you can apply another coat or two on the sole.

Plasti-Dip is actually rubber, so not slippery at all. I've worn the shoes when it was raining outside and it worked well.

Thanks soooooo much for the idea!!!
I think a cobbler in the city is doing something like this. The SA at Saks in NYC was telling me.
You have some guts to do this! Congrats! You did an amazing job. I think im going to have to try this too!
Do you think you could post a picture of what they look like after being worn around a while?
Yes, please post pics!
Tell us how they feel on differnt pavements if you can.

I've tried this too! I got the idea from the same thread as wantmore.

I bought the clear version cause I was worried about the red not being a perfect match, I tried it on a pair of non louboutin shoes first I wasnt brave enough to jump in a try it on Loubs first pop!

Anyway I have worn them alot and its wearing really well, its a rubbery finish and not slippery at all quite the opposite actually. I was using the clear footpetals before and found them slippery and dirt would get under them this is a much better option.

I'm very happy with it, its a better option for me then the vibram soles because I dont have a cobbler I would trust with my shoes so I'm much happier to have something I can do myself and know my shoes will be safe :smile:

After hearing about wantmores project, I ended up doing a pair of my shoes last night! I put on a bunch of coats let it dry overnight, and plan on testing them out when I go shopping today! But honestly they look really good, and walking around my neighborhood (with my doggie this morning) seemed to be no problem. I'll let everyone know how it goes.... thanks for the suggestion wantmore!!

Thanks soooooo much for the idea!!!
I think a cobbler in the city is doing something like this. The SA at Saks in NYC was telling me.
You have some guts to do this! Congrats! You did an amazing job. I think im going to have to try this too!

Yes, please post pics!
Tell us how they feel on differnt pavements if you can.
Pasquale's here in LA (CL recommended shoe cobbler) only paints the bottom with red lacquer. Is that the same thing as what your local cobbler does?

The Plasti-dip is so thin, even with 4 coats on them, and it feels like there's nothing on the bottom of the shoes when I walk. It doesn't feel any differently compared to the untreated CL sole, except for them being no longer slippery.

I've tried this too! I got the idea from the same thread as wantmore.

I bought the clear version cause I was worried about the red not being a perfect match, I tried it on a pair of non louboutin shoes first I wasnt brave enough to jump in a try it on Loubs first pop!

Anyway I have worn them alot and its wearing really well, its a rubbery finish and not slippery at all quite the opposite actually. I was using the clear footpetals before and found them slippery and dirt would get under them this is a much better option.

I'm very happy with it, its a better option for me then the vibram soles because I dont have a cobbler I would trust with my shoes so I'm much happier to have something I can do myself and know my shoes will be safe :smile:

:yahoo:!!! This is so cool that you've also tried it! I didn't know it came in clear, but try the red. I am telling you, it's a perfect match!

Please post pictures of your "clear coated" soles.

I wanted to buy the vibram from Brian but he ran out, and being the impatient person that I am, I had to do the Plasti-Dip.

After hearing about wantmores project, I ended up doing a pair of my shoes last night! I put on a bunch of coats let it dry overnight, and plan on testing them out when I go shopping today! But honestly they look really good, and walking around my neighborhood (with my doggie this morning) seemed to be no problem. I'll let everyone know how it goes.... thanks for the suggestion wantmore!!
LOL! What a way to test your Loubs!

I'm so glad to have helped! Please post pictures too.