Furniture

I love pottery barn and crate and barrel- a majority of their furniture is made with composite (MDF). For example, in your case, if you got a dresser from pottery barn, the top and sides and bottom would be out of wood, but the drawers would be made out of composite. Or veneers over composite. Composite dents easliy and does not hold up over time.

Good point! I have always loved the look of pottery barn furniture..and was sure thats what I'd end up with...but a friend just did a lot of her house from pottery barn and I was stunned that furniture that expensive was composite! That what turned me away...I think what I spent at Thomasville was similar to what I would have spent on Pottery Barn..but much higher quality!

Good point! I have always loved the look of pottery barn furniture..and was sure thats what I'd end up with...but a friend just did a lot of her house from pottery barn and I was stunned that furniture that expensive was composite! That what turned me away...I think what I spent at Thomasville was similar to what I would have spent on Pottery Barn..but much higher quality!

:tup: ::high five!::

I really like some of PB's home office pieces, but I researched them first and found out they are composite. I was really annoyed after that. Furniture is an investment (IMO) and I was (am) not going to put my hard earned money toward something that will fall apart.

in my city, there are a few companies that special order furniture from companies that duplicate Pottery Barn, Restorations, and other popular brands.

The furniture is made in the US, I think my bed came from Los Angeles. It is solid Wood, and is an exact Replica of the Pottery Barn Sumatra line. It was about half the cost, and I paid for delivery from their location..which was much cheaper than any Pottery Barn Shipping.

They have samples for you to view, the place is appointment only...and is in a wherehouse environment. But people are lined up for appointments, and I am very pleased with the quality.

I liked Storehouse, they're also on the expensive side though. The website is doing something funky, so I can't check store locations:

www.storehouse.com

Here is a tip that I learned the hard way (in case you didn't know), when the SA tells you the furniture is made of hardwood, it doesn't mean the wood is hard. Hardwood just means the tree is broad-leaved, so you have to ask for furniture made of wood that is difficult to dent and scratch, such as oak.

I think storehouse closed down...

It's always worth while to check out antique stores, I think, as long as you don't go to the super-upscale ones (which equate to me as the no-fun ones, due to the outrageous prices and inability to find a decent deal). A lot of store owners I know do estate sales, and will pull full sets of furniture out of the house and sell it for a low price. Or just check out estate sales in general! But I'm biased, I come from a major antique furniture loving family, lol