Fur...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ILoveCoach said:
Yes, but can't we make the process more humane? We have the money to keep and care for animals in a much more humane way than we currently do.. yet we still choose to slaughter them brutally?

But that's exactly what I was talking about. I like fur, but I don't agree with the process. There is no reason not to make the process more humane and painless. There is no reason to expend on that in order to make more profit. That's what I was trying to say.

However, if you try to limit the production of fur coats, people will only want them more. That was the caveat. And that's what I'm conflicted about. But I guess we can only do things one at a time, and hoping for better treatment is all we can have a realistic hope for, rather than actually decreasing the killings.

ILoveCoach said:
So, why don't we start our own organization where we can educate people in a peaceful manner? Believe me I"m there when it happens! But for now, PETA is the most well known, and although they are violent (Like when they were using bombs in mailboxes :Push: ) they are kind of all we have. I think that they are changing, with peta2.com aimed at college kids and their celebrity spokespeople (Pamela!)
I'm sorry. I disagree. I DO educate people everyday of my life in my job. PETA is a pain in my ass because they hate zoos. THEY ARE NOT ALL WE HAVE. You should look at an audit of PETA one day and see where the bulk of their money goes.

p.s. funny too how all of a sudden the exposure about PETA taking animals out of local shelters then killing them seemed to go away, no?

IntlSet said:
Well, maybe you should write to Coach and tell them this. Maybe stop buying their bags until they take your request seriously? Since you seem to care so much.

Oh, well thanks for your concern but believe me I do a-lot in my community when it comes to animal rights :biggrin: Obviously you haven't read all my posts, we can't all be puritists! :suspiciou

ILoveCoach said:
Oh, well thanks for your concern but believe me I do a-lot in my community when it comes to animal rights :biggrin: Obviously you haven't read all my posts, we can't all be puritists! :suspiciou
out of curiousity, what have you done regarding animal rights? (I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know) I hope it isn't just walking around with a sign in some protest.

bagnshoofetish said:
I'm sorry. I disagree. I DO educate people everyday of my life in my job. PETA is a pain in my ass because they hate zoos. THEY ARE NOT ALL WE HAVE. You should look at an audit of PETA one day and see where the bulk of their money goes.

And as I said, we need another well known organization, but until them it's PETA.

ILoveCoach said:

We CAN'T all be puritists and that's why to equate fur with slavery is nonsensical. There are some who like fur, some who like leather. None of the processes by which we get them are very humane. Yet, I find it hypocritical that just because some like fur, they are seen as much worse than those who just accept leather.

bagnshoofetish said:
out of curiousity, what have you done regarding animal rights? (I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know) I hope it isn't just walking around with a sign in some protest.

LOL (about the sign), no, i'm not taking it as sarcasim... I have actually volunteered at an animal rescue facility, not a dog shelter, mostly racoons, birds, small mammals that people buy (especially exotic pets) and then all of a sudden don't want. I also take in every stray I find! :biggrin:

ILoveCoach said:
I think that the only way we can save animals is if people stop wearing it all together. Excuse my bluntness, but you either like fur or you don't. You either don't care about the animal you wear or you do. Simple as that.

If fur is cruel and inhumane why would you wear it? Is style that important to you?

I think I want a slave.. it's pretty stylish, right? Let me go steal some little girl from Nigeria. (www.iabolish.com)

Excuse my bluntness again, I am just very passionate about this subject.

I'm sorry to be rude, but you're a hypocrite. How you DARE say you'd throw paint on someone when you'd tackle some over a hamburger. You either care for the animals or you don't... So, you only care when your tummy is full? I love fur and my mom has some, but I think it's ok to be for peta. But you're either one way or the other. If you're so for animals rights why don;t you stop eating meats and wearing leather? :weird:

ILoveCoach said:
And as I said, we need another well known organization, but until them it's PETA.
wrong again. There is World Wildlife Fund. There is Wildlife Conservation. There is the IUCN. There is World Society for the Protection of Animals. I can give you a longer list if you'd like. The difference is these org's are actually helping animals. not playing with celebrities.

ILoveCoach said:
LOL (about the sign), no, i'm not taking it as sarcasim... I have actually volunteered at an animal rescue facility, not a dog shelter, mostly racoons, birds, small mammals that people buy (especially exotic pets) and then all of a sudden don't want. I also take in every stray I find! :biggrin:
and again, just want more info here, how many hours have you volunteered?

ILoveCoach said:
You know, thanks so much for making me feel like you all think im a liar and an idiot. I feel the way I feel and that will never change.

I think you're idoit if you're going to pounce on people when you have no problem eating meat or wearing leather. Who are you to be so high mighty and say you either love animals or don't? You love animals in your tummy.

I think ILoveCoach has a right to her opinion, and attacking her isn't very nice. Some people are going to be black and white on an issue, and some people can see the shades of grey- it all depends on how you look at it.

I think that when you're really passionate about something, sometimes you come across stronger than you intend ( I know I used to come across REALLY strong about food animals.) Since then I have gone back and forth, and while I can't deny my ethical convictions... I struggle with acting on them- thus I'm hesistent to pass judgement for the time being. :smile:

Some people are xpetaXcoreX, and some people are all about the furs, can't be have an ethical conversation about it without resorting to personal attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.