French Ladies: Style, aura, what is it?

I think most look and dress like everybody else... :biggrin:

But I really like what the french look stands for. It's cool and most time not too much.
Yeah if you watch a YouTube video on makeup made by a French and an Australian woman you ll understand…(personally I can’t just put mascara on, tap red on the lips and be done…)
The French always want to look not overly done. If you have the perfect short sexy glittery dress then the hair will be messy…
And yes on the examples on south of France they look so boringly normal to me but so I thought the same of our food until I started traveling the world…and living abroad.

Not everyone in France dresses well. I personally prefer the more eclectic style found in the UK.* But, the way I interpret French style is one that is natural, individual, and somewhat relaxed. Not too polished but well groomed and with an eye to the fit and cut of a garment. Hopefully not entirely comprised of all brand new, matched designer items simply bc then the clothes tend to overpower. Most guides to French style build on a limited classic capsule made of separates: good jeans; a jacket; a well cut dress; some accessories. I don’t wear denim as often, so I substitute charcoal gray pants or cargos.

I happen to love premier designer RTW, but I mix different seasons, past years, and sometimes add a more artisanal accessory. Sometimes I warehouse current season items in my own closet until the trend has passed. This summer, it’s a structured straw bag from a small company called Heimat Atlantica (I have no connection except as a satisfied customer, though I did meet the owner after buying two bags). i do happen to adore the cut of courrege pants, and they are a nice basis for this type of style. And, they are less expensive than premier designer ones. One doesnt need expensive designer clothing, but a good tailor helps.

ETA: * British style, in my layman, outsider opinion, is more about contrast, irony, and humor. i don’t really do ironic, humorous fashion very well, but I admire it. I interpret French fashion as too pretty and flattering to be ironic, but that’s JMO.

Last edited:
For me, when we talk about the definitive ‘French style’ elements we are mainly talking about our idea of Parisian style. So like clothes for a temperate 4season climate leaning towards business casual and a bit of evening wear.
obviously very influenced by YSL and to a lesser extent Chanel and Dior.

I’d say the consistent elements of this style are:-
Lots of dark neutrals especially black in common with Scandi style
But Form fitting not oversized as Scandi prefers.
Feminine presentation- hair is mid or long, usually adds jewellery and accessories, a feminine rather than unisex shoe. So a ballet pump over a trainer. I’d say classic American style is more a mix of very femme with a touch of masculine whereas French femmes it up more.
Embellishments seem pretty popular. YSL loves a sequin so this makes sense.
Prints not as popular as U.K. style and they tend to be a bit more geometric - not got the British love of the ditsy floral. Let’s not forget the Breton stripe is considered the big bold choice
A nice bag is a common must.

This all follows the idea with life in a city where you have to be somewhat toned down and conservative for work then wear something pretty at the bar.

This is just my read on it.

Tbh I think the cooler look is the sort of artsy fisherwoman turned Picasso’s muse style from the south of France but I don’t think that’s what most people think of. They mean more Chain bag, cashmere coat, black leather shoes and cigarette pants with a Breton top and red lipstick.

I don’t think that French people dress particularly well. Especially women.
Maybe parisians yeah. But most pretty and well dressed ladies you ask won’t be French.

Reactions: 880