Found a baby owl in my yard today... cuteness inside!!

Ahh, how lovely!

I don't suppose you can see his nest? I was just thinking that Mum might be a bit wary, as you're still about (caring for the chick) I thought if it was close to your home, and not too high up, you might get a ladder and put him back in the nest? (Take care though, that beak can cause damage even at such a young age. I'd recommend wrapping him in a towel if you end up picking him up. Covering their heads if you have to handle them- making sure they can breath - tends to calm them)

I've rescued a few sparrow hawks here, and my local (well, it's about 3 hours away!) Irish Raptor Rescue Centre said that hawks/owls, can often damage chicks inadvertantly with their talons, when picking them up when they fall out of the nest.

Just a thought.

Well done for being such a love and looking after the little chickie! Good luck!

K
His nest is REALLY high up, cant even see it because the trees are just huge. BUT we got a call from the animal rescue and said that they can put him back in his nest TODAY at the latest and his parents will still accept him back. I was so worried about the little guy andfelt bad for the parents for losing their baby... im SO relieved hes going back home!!

Aww, he looks like he's smiling in this one!

dsc03123pp3.jpg

His nest is REALLY high up, cant even see it because the trees are just huge. BUT we got a call from the animal rescue and said that they can put him back in his nest TODAY at the latest and his parents will still accept him back. I was so worried about the little guy andfelt bad for the parents for losing their baby... im SO relieved hes going back home!!

well done, corrinne!

so let me see whether i followed this correctly -- you took him to the vet to get him out of the heat, and the wildlife folks are going to bring him back and put him in the nest?

well done, corrinne!

so let me see whether i followed this correctly -- you took him to the vet to get him out of the heat, and the wildlife folks are going to bring him back and put him in the nest?
exactly. it was getting way to hot for him in the direct sun and there were BIG birds starting to hang around him. I have pics of our fire department and their ladder truck in my yard putting him back up in the nest. i will post them when I charge up the camera :yes:

Aww... What a little sweetie! I'm glad you found him and were able to help him out. I remember when I was in high school, I found a baby bird with an injured wing. I named her "Charlotte" and kept her in a shoebox for a few days. She would sit on my finger and peck at my cheeks, like little kisses. Eventually, my mom made me take her to a wildlife sanctuary, but I knew that they'd at least rehab her and she'd give a normal birdie life... Kudos to you for saving the little guy!

exactly. it was getting way to hot for him in the direct sun and there were BIG birds starting to hang around him. I have pics of our fire department and their ladder truck in my yard putting him back up in the nest. i will post them when I charge up the camera :yes:

What a great story! The owl is so sweet.
Looking forward to seeing the pics.

By the way great pictures, what camera do you have?