Faster patina?

I know a lot of japanese people in Japan do this (even my cousin in Korea does this) but how do you develop patina faster? For some bags, I don't want it, some I do...I heard sitting it next to a sunny window helps?

The instructions for how the Japanese accomplish a very even patina are available here with pictures and a whole lot of other LV info.:

*removed suspicious URL*

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also heard people using types of oil (vegetable/olive/baby). Just have to be careful to rub it in gently and evenly. ^^

This tip has been popping up in a lot of places, but I have yet to see any "before" and "after" pics like I have with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and the Baby Wipe approach. Unless the bag is very old and an experiment gone bad is a risk one is willing to take, I personally wouldn't apply an oil, let alone apply any other substance, without first seeing before/after pics. The other reason is that oils, while they will darken down the leather, may do so too much. Another concern is that this approach may be too tricky to pull off nicely. There is less margin for error with an oil-based product vs. a water-based product. Use too little oil and the results may appear streaky or blotchy. Use too much oil and the leather may become a greasy dirt magnet. Beyond that, many types of oil will eventually become rancid and there will be no way to remove it from the leather once it does. This could cause the bag to smell pretty badly in time. For these reasons, I would personally stick to professionally formulated products or set the bag near an open window and rotate it until it tans to the desired shade. I found the tips located on the website linked to my previous post to be the most specific how-to I have come across. They are time consuming, but probably the safest route for those who covet the perfect patina.

Last edited:
What about just putting it under a lamp in your house? Like one that is on your night table?

Anyone try this?

I haven't tried this, but conceivably it would work if it were a full-spectrum light source. Those are generally specialty purpose lamps, as opposed to the so-called daylight bulbs. Anyone who has one of those daylight lamps for treating the winter blues (aka SAD) or for an aquarium or indoor house plants could probably try this. It might be easier to set the bag close to a window, though.

I have tried olive/baby oil on my mom's old bag before.:graucho: It seems baby oil worked better and more even than olive oil. For my new bags, I am scared, I do not want to ruin it.

I have had my Mono Speedy for 3 1/2 years and it has honey Patina now. I actually hate this color and want it to be that darker brown Patina. I don't understand why my bag isn't getting to this color. I use it often, it's been in the hot sun! What can I do to make it turn that brown color and not the orange color???

I just take it out everyday...the fairly-new ones. I'm not very particular (yet) in storing them, so I just leave them out on a sofa in my room by the window, or by the windowsill itself. The color is quite even and beautiful so as long as the light covers all the parts of the bag with vachetta. :smile:

Most of my LVs though are hand me downs from mum and grandma, so they all already have that beautiful aged patina.

I live in a hot and humid place....wanted the patina on my azur handles to turn honey soon....been using the bag for a month but didn't really change.

After resting my bag, i didn't kept it back in the dustbag....sometimes i will place the bag near the window where the sun will shine in and hoping it will make a difference :P

I dare not apply anything cos i do not want an uneven tan....wanted it to change colour soon as i am afraid my sweat will stain the handles 1st before it changes colour. I love to wear sleeveless apparels.