Fashion East to West and Snarky Comments (your opinions please?)

I've traveled a lot and I really get a kick out of seeing how people dress in other parts of the country (and world!). I don't like everything I see but I do get incredibly inspired sometimes and try to adapt what I like in my own way.

All I can say is....thank GOD for online shopping. :yahoo:Don't get me wrong...Seattle is improving dramatically, especially in these past 10 years (and we're the proud home of the flagship Nordstroms). :heart:

NM is coming in 2009!

Anyway, to the OP, just brush off the comments and weird looks. Enjoy your fabulous style!

Don't feel bad...just keep rockin' your fabulous things!!

I totally understand where you are coming from, though. I live in a pretty decent sized, East coast-ish city, and there are very few fashion-forward people here....it never fails to amaze me.

It can be a bit of a downer, like when I carried my new LV bag for the first time or wore my new Choos, and nobody even commented on them, but that's only because they don't have the foggiest idea about any of these things.

That really doesn't bother me though, because everything I wear (and carry!) I do for me anyway. So, you just keep doing the same! Just let them see how fabulous you really are as a person, whether you wear the latest designer duds or are just in sweats!

I think fashion is so interesting around the world - when you live on another continent and the seasons are opposite, you are always at least a season behind!!! People should wear whatever makes them feel good, and have at least one "kick off" mind blowing type outfit!!!
Go Razorbackbello and wear your great stuff, and feel damn fine doing it.

This may have been said already because I didn't read all of the posts...but who cares what your co-worker or anyone else things about what you wear...are contributing to your clothing fund...let them look and talk and anything else they chose to do...just as long as you feel good in what you wear why does the opinion of someone else matter. That's the problem in our country today...we can't accept others that may be different from ourselves...and that problem is very prevalent in the South. I currently reside in the South so I can attest to that. Rock yo' fashions gurl!!! ;)

Alright, so I found this a little amusing.

I live in Arkansas. I left after college and moved to Florida for a year, where I got to shop at Saks, Neiman Marcus, etc-- and that's where my designer clothing fetish really got its start! I ended up with a great new designer wardrobe while I was down there (half of it from Saks Off 5th and other outlets because I lived by a HUGE outlet mall and we had Michael Kors, BCBG, etc... I stocked up, I'm a bargain shopper LOL!)

So I move back to Arkansas, right? I realized just how long it takes for styles to get here. I was absolutely floored by how people looked at what I wore.

So today I walked into work wearing a Diane von Furstenberg skirt (one of my favorite pieces because it's a runway piece I got at a sample sale, it's knee-length with ruffles and floaty :girlsigh:), a BCBG top and Kenneth Cole shoes, and carrying my usual Coach bag. And one of the girls made some snarky comment-- something to the effect of "what is she wearing?!"

The girl that made the comment recently got .. er... shall we say, surgically enhanced, and since then has been wearing anything she can that will show off her... er, new assets, we'll call 'em. The result? She looks downright trashy most of the time! I wanted to look at her and make a snarky comment, but I restrained myself.

Today's the first day I've really dared to wear any of my bolder designer pieces to work, and this is why! I feel like an idiot because these backwards rednecks are gawking at me-- but when I left my house I felt FABULOUS! :cry: What should I do, ladies-- relegate myself back to boring business suits or ignore what they say? I take real pride in my appearance and this sucks!

Isn't it AMAZING how much styles vary from east to west and how long it takes styles to move from the coast inward? It blows my mind!

Ok, well...I have a friend who lives in Malvern,AR(right outside of Hot Springs) And Ive been there many times to visit. It is soooo funny the looks my boyfriend and I get when we are out there! She even sometimes ask's "what are you wearing?" :roflmfao:. I laugh it off because I know she doesnt mean anything by it. I just tell her "Dont hate cuz I got style" lol. I know if she would have stayed out here in Vegas instead of moving there, she would be dressing the same way! haha.
This goes for the types of cars you see out that way too. Its nothing to see a Benz, BMW or even a Bentley out here. But when we drive our Benz out there...we're getting looks left and right. We have even drove our Escalade EXT out there and we get looks! Out here we deff. see those on every street corner.

I hear that all the time! Funny thing was, though, when I went down to Florida everyone complimented me on how "cute" my "southern" accent was. I was like "oh, so Florida isn't the South?"

You can only really hear it when I get riled up and/or irritated. My SO says that's when I "go off the plantation and into the barn." whatever that means lol.

I am originally from Florida (live in Oregon now) and everyone thinks it is hilarous when I get really mad because my accent comes back. Drives me crazy because I get mad and then they smile at me or start to giggle.

Hah! I love this thread...

And it's very applicable to Hawaii. Especially when you compare the fabulous shopping that can be had in Honolulu, to the ruralness of the "outer islands". I love watching all the fashion plates walking around waikiki or ala moana: designer wear done often & well (sometimes, not so well! ):roflmfao:

I have bought several fab pieces on Oahu, that I wonder when I'm ever going to get the chance to wear on Maui. "Dressing up" just doesn't happen that often. Casual is the norm: tshirts/tanks/halters, shorts, flip flops. Yes, the looks of askance would skewer most that dare to be different.

sigh.

I'm wondering if this is just about clothes. Let's face it, everywhere, from rural to urban and inbetween, there are people who create security for themselves by making asides like that girl did in a voice loud enough for you to hear.

Completely agree! I go visit my sister in DC with skirt and uggs...and i get made fun of...alas, to each their own i say, and once again, feel proud of the clothes that you are wearing!

I love this thread too!!!!

My SO lives out in a rural area.......small town and a few weeks ago he had company and I just had nothing in common w/ them. Not that I'm any big city girl but we just weren't clicking.

My last straw was when I walked by them and I heard the daughter whisper to her mom the brand name of something I was wearing.

I say keep rockin your style......these girls are just jealous & insecure!!!!

I totally relate to that, when i was living and studying in Brittany (west coast of France) I used to get the looks of some people and students, nasty comments....only bc I was shopping in Paris and quite into new trends...
It's great to see the different styles in the differents countries, love it in the airport trying to guess where that flight is going to just looking at the fashion style of the travellers ! Big difference between the european countries for instance

I totally agree with everyone else--wear your clothes and enjoy them! :tup:

On a side note, I completely relate. My hometown in inland SoCal might as well be in Nebraska. Whenever I visit I get the weirdest looks and it isn't like I've got on anything particularly outlandish. I just think of it was demonstrating that normal people can have nice clothes and it doesn't make you crazy or snobbish.

I remember something similar happening to me a few years back. I think her exact words were "I don't like your shoes." This was without any provication. I kindly responded "I don't like half the stuff you wear, but I don't feel the need to tell you." She shut up and I just felt sorry for her because I looked fabulous and I knew she never would.