excessive shipping for a bag

$30.00 is not necessarily excessive. It depends on the size and weight of the package as well the amount of insurance required. I ship via USPS Priority Mail with tracking, insurance and signature confirmation. All of my shipping labels are printed thru PayPal. I've often had to charge in the $30.00 range to ship via this method from one coast to the other.

exactly what i was going to say.

i sometimes overestimate and will refund the difference though.

i have asked people for lower shipping, yes.

Thanks everyone! I'm now rethinking my thoughts on the shipping part of transactions. I guess I have underestimated my own shipping when I have sold items, because I have asked a fraction of that cost.:s

well marly how much are the bags you're shipping? how big are they? how heavy? let me say that i do NOT pad my shipping. i only charge actual usps charges (plus under 2 dollars- usually less than 1- as a handling fee which does not cover my costs for the shipping materials but oh well). i do NOT condone people who overcharge for shipping and include their pp fees, ebay fees and the cost of an entire tank of gas for each package. sorry but nothing irks me more. then again if you're losing money on your shipping then ues, by all means, change it. but if you think we're all charging that much and making a fortune extra i don't think that's the case. at least not on my side.

Yes I would pay $30 for shipping. Insuring a bag is pretty costly at the post office. Over the past 2 weeks I sold almost all of my bags (again) and I charged $25 for shipping on all of them. Some of the pricier ones actually ended up being closer to $30 with insurance and signature confirmation. Its not unreasonable.

And by the way, those of you who are shipping with just delivery confirmation without signatures, are a paypal claim waiting to happen! PayPal does NOT go by that anymore and signatures will help keeping a buyer from saying they didnt get it. (when they really did)

It's not so much the figure, but how it's shipped. If it's insured, tracking, higher priority than ground, and possibly signature confirmation then it's fine...if it's sent in an envelope or box with no extras, and costs like 6.00, then no....but then again, it depends on how badly you want the bag and you can still bid accordingly with the shipping in mind.

I just paid 14.00 shipping for a dog collar. It seemed excessive but I thought there would be more than it being thrown in a yellow manila envelope and the $1.47 postage fee with no other services, tracking, insurance, nothing. She even wanted to charge like 10.00 insurance on top of that...yea 24.00 shipping for a one ounce item that wasn't that expensive, forget it. It got here quickly and safely since they lived only a couple of states away, so in the end it didn't matter, but it's always good to check if it matters to you.

A lot of sellers charge a handling fee in addition to the regular shipping and insurance charges. Sellers have the right to charge what they want- even if it seems excessive. If I really want a bag and the shipping is over $30, I honestly have to think twice about purchasing it.

i don't think it matters much - usually if shipping costs are excessive, the winning bid tends to be lower than what the item would normally go for, so i don't think it makes too much of a difference to buyers.

sometimes, i might charge a bit more for shipping - it's not to be greedy, but the fees for ebay can get pretty hefty and they need to be covered somehow.

and then again, sometimes i undercharge for shipping and end up paying more. a lot of times, if i find that if i overcharged for shipping, i actually upgrade to priority or express for the hell of it.

i forgot the exact term for what your doing but that is not allowed on ebay.

you can always report sellers who charge too much on shipping

surfer you could report her for excessive insurance charges., it is illegal to charge more than the usps charges for insurance.

I thought about that. I ended up letting it go since she was a brand new seller and I actually thought the insurance was automatically included since the original listing said "not offered" and with the 950% ship markup. The ins option wasn't in the description of my item, but have noticed she adds it now. She has a catalogue with a 10.00 ship charge, not sure what the insurance on that is but I'm curious to ask and see if her original ship gouging was due to being inexperienced. One other buyer somewhat copied my feedback about the excessive shipping, and noticed she charged her 50.00 for her bag to be shipped within the US. I wonder if it was sent in a 5.95 priority box or envelope with no extras like she did mine. :Push: