Ever been caught in the rain??

If you have a signature bag with leather trim (just straps etc) do you worry about that leather getting wet or do you just appleguard and call it a day.

My Soho Flap has never seen the rain - and my Carly is coming soon - so I am just getting ready for the Forida rainy season.

Hmmm... I should put a plastic bag into my bags too - that is a great idea!! I don't really have any handbags that I use for "rainy days"... so I pretty much just switch to the ones that have the hearty-est leather....

I have gotten caught out in the rain twice within recent memory:

Once, in a down pour at an outdoor mall, I was carrying a suede Firenze bag. I didn't have an umbrella and panicked all the way to the car about it getting ruined. (I had it under my jacket, but I ended up DRENCHED.) I sold it after that, because the bag was fine - but I decided suede wasn't for me!! :yes:

One time recently with my Legacy Shoulder bag in Pond - it wasn't a downpour but just raining lightly... however, it came out of no where, so I didn't have an umbrella or jacket or anything!! So I just had to jet out to the car... the bag got a few water spots on it from what I couldn't shield, but within a day they had blended into the leather or dryed and it didn't affect the bag - thankfully!!!

So a plastic bag would be a good idea for the future!

I wouldve put it under my jacket, but I do always carry my bag's "rain coat" (plastic bag) because I just never know when it rains or snows in RI.

Cindy, you're from RI?! I was at the Providence VA for one of my rotations for 3 months. Wrenthem outlet is just AWESOME! They have the BEST Lindt store (and Coach of course). I didn't have any friends when I was there so I frequently visited the outlet mall. LOL

To be honest with you, I think people who don't protect their nice bags are NUTS. We are smart for protecting what we love. Nothing breaks my heart seeing a nice bag ruined. Oh yeah, and that goes the same for those inconsiderate shoppers at the Coach store who just "throws" (maybe a gentle toss, but in my eyes, that means disrespect) the bag they tried on back on the shelf like garbage. Why can't they just put it back nicely?

Anyway, I got a little carried away here... But the bottom line is, any inexcusable wear-and-tear on my belongings is not well-tolerated and my Coach purses will ***** my jacket ANYTIME. So, let it rain/snow/hail, I've got my lovely bags covered!

I would have done the same thing-it was the RIGHT thing to do. I try to keep a plastic bag in my bag for such nasty occasions. I have to search for one big enough to cover my large leather Carly.

To anybody interested -- I use these plastic bags that a local scrapbooking store gives when making a purchase. They are just plain see-through bags and come in all sizes but I use the HUGE ones (very sturdy and made to hold those heavy photo albums and other supplies). They are pleated at the bottom, very deep and large and have handles (holes at the top) to carry it.

The are the BEST bags! :yes: They fold up very, very nicely and tuck right into an interior purse pocket. Then if I ever need one to protect my bag or even carry multiple purchases when shopping, it's right there.

So far I've not worried about protecting my other Coach bags as they are mostly signature fabric and dark leather and I rarely carry in the rain anyway. But this new one is such a light caramel colored leather and I'm worried it'll water spot like the LV vachetta! Maybe I'll find my ol' Shining Monkey and try that...

First I just have to say that the title of the thread made me thing of the Pina Colada song. :P

I tend to put bags under the jacket too. I literally walk 10 feet to my car in the morning and maybe 40 feet from my car to the office so I very rarely take my umbrella out of the car..maybe if it was a downpour.

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. Last Friday, we had light rain here and I stopped by Dillard’s with my tan suede demi. The rain drops dried and disappeared after a few minutes. Before that on the way to the car after work I spilled Diet coke on it. I was talking to a co-worker when I realized what happened. Of course I freaked, couldn’t wait until I got to the car to access the damage. There were two or three drops on top right by the zipper and a couple on the front, and magically by the time I got to Dillard’s those had disappeared also. Now I can’t even tell they were there. Good idea to carry a plastic bag for those rainy days though. I’ll have to remember that.

I carry a plastic bag in all of my Coach Handbags just in case I get caught in a downpour that was not predicted in the weather forecast. When I know it is going to rain (tomorrow it will rain in NYC all day), I wear a cheap Isaac Mizrahi Target Bag. Call me crazy but I won't wear my good Coach Bags on a rainy day. I just prefer to wear a cheap bag and I don't care much if it is ruined as I only paid $30 for it. I am dying to wear my new Ergo Turquoise Hobo but will not do so until the weather is nice and sunny.

When I know it's supposed to rain, I carry my LV Damier Chelsea. I love it when it rains! haha! Because I LOVE that bag...

I now have plastic bags in all my bags, including my newest Coach as well as all the others. "Just in case." :yes: