Europe Tax Free Refund

gracekelly.. i didnt register but when they gave me the form printed like an invoice and they took my passport information.. i asked my the lady who processed these papers about the envelope with Hermes printed on it.. i thought it should state a global refund company or premier refund company.. she said.. that hermes does its own refund and this is why the tax % is actually higher than other boutique!

gracekelly.. i didnt register but when they gave me the form printed like an invoice and they took my passport information.. i asked my the lady who processed these papers about the envelope with Hermes printed on it.. i thought it should state a global refund company or premier refund company.. she said.. that hermes does its own refund and this is why the tax % is actually higher than other boutique!

They are organized! Love it! Makes life so much easier:idea:

So, how does one follow up on an unpaid refund? Has anyone had to do it before? The entire form is in French. I have no idea how to do it. THanks.

You should have gotten a refund by now. Did you get the form Stamped at the airport?

You should definitely call Hermes and ask what happened. If time difference is a problem for you, try sending them a fax explaining you haven't gotten your money back and it doesn't need to be in French. They all understand English perfectly. Good luck. :smile:

Yes, it got stamped and sent. The form says they have until March 21, 2007, which considering I bought my bracelet in September is a bit much. If I don't get it by then, I'll do as you suggest. Thank you for the feedback.

saligator, I bought scarves at H in Paris in September, around the middle of the month. I got my refund credited about 2-3 weeks ago.

Just today I got the refund for all the H and other purchases I made in Paris at the end of October/beg of Nov.

Gina, you only just got your refunds?

I got my refunds in early December. I think we left Europe no more than a week apart.

Btw a little more on how the detaxe works in France.

The full VAT rate is I believe 19.6%. Global Refund handles the bulk of the VAT refund processing and takes a percentage of that as their "fee", which is why the refund comes at about 12-13%.

Hermes at 24F does their own VAT processing, and it's always at 10%. I haven't shopped at the Georges V store so no experience there, but I find it surprising that it appears they don't use the in-house processing.

Bottom line: With Global Refund you actually get a HIGHER percentage of the tax returned to you. When you get it credited back to your CC account in your local currency, the actual amount may appear lower depending on currency rate fluctuations and your CC issuing bank's policies regarding FX transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina_b
Well, that's interesting! Westiepup, do you recall filling out identical Global VAT Refund forms everywhere including Hermes, or does Hermes have its own form?

The forms were exactly the same, but DH vaguely remembers that the envelopes were addressed differently, one to Hermes and another to Global Refund. For the tax refund from 24Fbg, I actually got slightly more than 10% refunded after conversion due to the ever strengthening Euro. For the GeorgeV refund, it was quite a bit less than 10% after Global refund took their commission.