Estrogen free birth control and acne

Have you had children? Because I haven't buy I do want to but not for at least 4 or 5 years ( I'm 20 almost 21)

Nope, no kids, not married and 25. I was 24 when I got it (now almost 26). I've heard it's not a common method for young women, but my dr was willing to give it to me based on some of my medical history. Since I've been with my SO for 7 years and we are monogamous they were also ok with it (I know if you have multiple partners you can be more prone to STDs). Ultimately I just had an understanding dr who realized that I was in a committed relationship where kids were not a factor for at least 5 years (actually way more, lol).

If that's the case for you, then I'd really consider it. Insertion was a nightmare for me, but even then I still think mirena was one of the best things I've done. Prior to it we were charting my cycle and talk about being nervous every month! Mirena is no stress, no hassle and works! You have no idea it's there and the side effects are minimal. I just wish I had tried it sooner!

emcosmo1639 said:
Nope, no kids, not married and 25. I was 24 when I got it (now almost 26). I've heard it's not a common method for young women, but my dr was willing to give it to me based on some of my medical history. Since I've been with my SO for 7 years and we are monogamous they were also ok with it (I know if you have multiple partners you can be more prone to STDs). Ultimately I just had an understanding dr who realized that I was in a committed relationship where kids were not a factor for at least 5 years (actually way more, lol).

If that's the case for you, then I'd really consider it. Insertion was a nightmare for me, but even then I still think mirena was one of the best things I've done. Prior to it we were charting my cycle and talk about being nervous every month! Mirena is no stress, no hassle and works! You have no idea it's there and the side effects are minimal. I just wish I had tried it sooner!

What was so horrible? If you don't mind sharing...

Hmm I tried tri-cyclen lo on Saturday and just like before the second night in a was sick and throwing up and again last night I wasn't feeling well. Im wondering if I should try a prescription for nausea etc before trying the marina. It hasn't even been a week and my back is almost cleared up and my face looks so much better. My boobs were much bigger on it too... lol
You don't need to get Mirena. The copper IUD would be just fine, they have very similar efficacy, and you don't have to worry about hormone side effects.

piosavsfan said:
You don't need to get Mirena. The copper IUD would be just fine, they have very similar efficacy, and you don't have to worry about hormone side effects.

I'm going to make an appointment to talk to my doctor. She called today and is going to prescribe something for the nausea and vomiting and hopefully that will work. I'm worried about coming off the IUD and ttc one day. I don't want to worry about that at my age!

I'm going to make an appointment to talk to my doctor. She called today and is going to prescribe something for the nausea and vomiting and hopefully that will work. I'm worried about coming off the IUD and ttc one day. I don't want to worry about that at my age!

There are a lot of misconceptions about getting IUDs when you are young. There is nothing wrong with it. For majority of people, it is very easy to put in and take out, and they are able to conceive without issues. OB/GYNs are currently strongly promoting IUDs. I am 26, don't have kids, and will be getting one myself as soon as I get around to it. I work in healthcare by the way, so, I'm coming from a bit of a different viewpoint on birth control. :smile:

piosavsfan said:
There are a lot of misconceptions about getting IUDs when you are young. There is nothing wrong with it. For majority of people, it is very easy to put in and take out, and they are able to conceive without issues. OB/GYNs are currently strongly promoting IUDs. I am 26, don't have kids, and will be getting one myself as soon as I get around to it. I work in healthcare by the way, so, I'm coming from a bit of a different viewpoint on birth control. :smile:

My mom actually was going to get marina, but didn't end up using it. So she said I can use it if I decide to go ahead with it.

Are there really things that can help with vomiting from birth control? It happens 6 hours later! The fact that I started it 6 days ago and my face is clearing up I wouldn't mind trying to see what happens. Plus, I'm not moody like I was before.

My mom actually was going to get marina, but didn't end up using it. So she said I can use it if I decide to go ahead with it.

Are there really things that can help with vomiting from birth control? It happens 6 hours later! The fact that I started it 6 days ago and my face is clearing up I wouldn't mind trying to see what happens. Plus, I'm not moody like I was before.

As I said before, Mirena may not be right for you. It can also cause nausea. If you decide to go the IUD route, copper would be a better choice.

I'm glad to hear that your face is clearing up and it is helping with your moodyness. There are medications that can help with nausea, but that medication can come with it's own side effects. I personally do not like taking medication to cover up the side effects of another medication when there are alternatives available, but nausea with birth control is supposed to subside by about 3 months of use, so, perhaps medication can help you get to that point.

I suggest you speak with an OBGYN about all of the options available to you.

piosavsfan said:
As I said before, Mirena may not be right for you. It can also cause nausea. If you decide to go the IUD route, copper would be a better choice.

I'm glad to hear that your face is clearing up and it is helping with your moodyness. There are medications that can help with nausea, but that medication can come with it's own side effects. I personally do not like taking medication to cover up the side effects of another medication when there are alternatives available, but nausea with birth control is supposed to subside by about 3 months of use, so, perhaps medication can help you get to that point.

I suggest you speak with an OBGYN about all of the options available to you.

I'll make an appointment asap. I wasn't feeling well again last night. The nausea actually doesn't go away after 3 months for me because you have to go off of it for a week and in that time my body isn't used to the hormone levels. I was on micronor which was estrogen free and I was fine. I'm really torn because I'm so sensitive about my skin and its already left scars. They are going away with some help, but fixing that and the moodyness is big for me.

What was so horrible? If you don't mind sharing...

Insertion of the IUD was a nightmare. My dr told me that 1 in 3 will be fine and barely feel anything, 1 in 3 will have minor discomfort and then the last group will tend to end up like me. In a nutshell, I ended up with a syncope episode and passed out. It took about 30 minutes for her to even dilate me enough to get it in. The cramping once it was in was really bad and they had to give me a shot for it. Then I ended up fainting again in the parking lot on the way to the car. My cramping was pretty bad for about a week, but after that everything was fine, almost like it wasn't even there. In fact, my period has pretty much disappeared and I just get minimal spotting every once in a while.

PLEASE don't let my story scare you away though---I've met many people who have IUDs and I have yet to find one who regrets getting it. Even with the nightmare of insertion, I would still do it all over again---that's how much I love the IUD.

Personally, I cannot be on any birth control. I have so many bad effects with all of them. I guess it happens to minority of girls and I am one of them! So my husband and I use condoms, yep, I know that it is a little silly but this is what works the best for us. It is not that bad after all. I rather do that than being crazy and breaking out like a teenager!

Maybe you should just stop trying to find one that could work for you and go back to the basics.

1HappyHunter said:
Personally, I cannot be on any birth control. I have so many bad effects with all of them. I guess it happens to minority of girls and I am one of them! So my husband and I use condoms, yep, I know that it is a little silly but this is what works the best for us. It is not that bad after all. I rather do that than being crazy and breaking out like a teenager!

Maybe you should just stop trying to find one that could work for you and go back to the basics.

Hmmm I would be really nervous about not being on anything other than condoms. Especially because we usually use both!

I'm really considering the IUD, as long as I don't break out or get sick I don't care! Period or no period... Well I'd rather none!

Hmmm I would be really nervous about not being on anything other than condoms. Especially because we usually use both!

I'm really considering the IUD, as long as I don't break out or get sick I don't care! Period or no period... Well I'd rather none![/QUOTE
I totally understand ;)! Good luck finding what works best for you!

I'm really considering the IUD, as long as I don't break out or get sick I don't care! Period or no period... Well I'd rather none!
I totally understand ;)! Good luck finding what works best for you!

Just a really quick update. I got the IUD yesterday! Really painful, but overall pretty good experience. Really bad cramping yesterday but it's easing off today. I'm hoping my skin can calm down, otherwise I'll see a dermatologist. Thank you for all the advice :smile: