Embarrassing! My colleagues offered me an ugly bag!

it's probably too late for me to answer this, as there have been many opinions already. But, I would never say a gift just isn't my style, or my taste...as it is a gift. I didn't pick it.

Also, I would probably show up to work one day wearing it, so what? It's only one day out of 365 in a year. It's no big deal. There is something to say for being gracious, classy and grateful.

I will never understand why anyone would give a handbag as a gift. Such a personal thing to give. I have given one to my mom and to my young niece - but never a colleague. My best friend knows how much I love bags and gave me an ugly red tote at Christmas - I thanked her profusely because it was so sweet of her and I kept it in my closet. Once while going to her house I took it out and used it. It was a very nice thought but ughhhh.

Thanks for sharing you thoughts!

My director actually laughed and said he reckoned it was ugly, but did not have time to go and buy anything so he sent his girlfriend.

The comment about the fact she is Spanish and it's supposed to fit Madrid's taste, I simply did not get it. I have lived in Spain for years and share my life with the most wonderful Spaniard. I know a lot about Spanish fashion, y que no vengan a decir que los españoles tienen mal gusto (mi director es inglés! se cree que tienen mas estilo que los esp?), so no comments about Spanish Ladies' taste, they are EXQUISITELY elegant.

as to the bag, I am keeping it, obviously. I can't bring myself to wear it in the street, but I will use it as an ammenity bag in the office.
How about that? I do not want to hurt anyone...

This is the Best decision ever! :tup::tup::tup::woohoo:

I feel for ya! So sorry that present ruined such a special day. They say "it's the thought that counts" but at times you have to really question "WERE THERE ANY THOUGHTS PUT IN TO BEGIN WITH?!?!?!" I've received some gifts that were just not me. One was a fake Balenciaga made from plastic that I took home and promptly threw away. When asked on if I've used it, I told them no because it's not me. I didn't really care about hurting feelings because I just couldn't get myself to leave the house with THAT in hand. :blah:Another was a Coach purse that quickly got exchanged. The Coach was okay but I just don't like Coach purses.

So, don't comprise what you know and like. You are you! If they don't understand then not only do they not have taste but they also don't have compassion! :roflmfao::roflmfao:

Am i missing something here - your colleagues collected their money together but then your directors girlfriend who I assume is neither a friend or colleague got to pick the bag. Chances are your colleagues think it's fugly too!!!! put it in the bag of a cupboard!

You know what they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure!! Every year we have a Yankee Swap at Christmas in my family. Everyone finds something in their house that they don't want, (it has to be something good, not junk). You wrap it up, we pick numbers and end up with someone else's "treasure". Last year, I had purchased a beautiful Francesco Biasia purse, I never used it because it was too large but thought it would make a great Yankee swapper. My Aunt opened it up and went hysterical laughing, she HATED it!!!!! :wtf: I was so mortified, here I am Mrs. Expensive Purse Lady, getting totally dissed by my Auntie. We had a good laugh about that, finally my cousin took the bag, and enjoys carrying it. But it just goes to show you, we all have different taste. Even our beautiful authentic bags don't appeal to everyone.

Use it for work for a few days so people will see it, then quietly phase it out.

Have a ceremonial burning and don't forget to cover the ashes with salt and then bury them so that the curse will be broken. :P