eLuxury: $150 "discount" on Nomade Medium Agenda

Yup! I know most (not all) states have a law against it, but internet businesses aren't regulated as much I guess. Actual stores can get in a lot of trouble for not giving you the advertised price, if they're located in one of the states that have this law.

There are no laws that force a store to sell an item for a given price. There are laws against "bait and switch," which is deliberately listing a price and then refusing to sell it at the listed price. This is different than what goes on in these situations; bait and switch laws only cover deliberate scams. In these cases, honest mistakes are made, and refusing to honor that is not illegal.

That said, most stores will honor the mismarked items, but they are not legally obliged to. It's pretty tough to get bait-and-switch offenders prosecuted, because you have to PROVE that they deliberately mislead people in order to force people to pay a higher price.

Well I know for sure in Ohio, there's something called the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act. It CAN, in certain cases, violate that act if they don't honor the lower price because that's the price that the consumer expects to pay, if it was advertised at the cheaper price.
It's like selling something on ebay..if you have something you mis-priced and put it on a buy it now, then have someone buy it before you fix the price, you're still obligated to sell it to the person for the original price. My mom had a friend once who had that happen to her and the buyer won their case.
A lot of stores do just honor the accidental lower price because in certain courts, that CAN be seen as bait and switch or deceptive advertising, whether it was accidental or not. And along those same lines, while it's hard to prove that someone deliberately mislead people, it's just as hard to prove that they did NOT deliberately mislead people.

ohh i remember when this happened with a scarf a season or two back. i think it was with the denim scarf.

the larger scarf was listed at the price of the smaller scarf but everyone who ordered it received the smaller scarf. when they called to ask eluxury about it, eluxury said there was nothing that could be done and the customer could always return it.

hahaha... funny. there's a typo in the current restoration hardware catalog that states a floorlamp is $8, (instead of $80 - which is STILL a steal!), but then again, there's a disclaimer in the back of the catalog that says we reserve the right to edit prices that may appear from typographical errors.

and itgoesthere, there actually is a law, at least for california there is. it's illegal to sell an item for higher than the marked price if the customer complains about it.

I guess if you think about it, it's similar to the Vuitton twice yearly price rises.

I got my damier pap a couple of weeks ago, date coded jan 05. It actually still had a €420 price label on it, but because it was after the price rise, I actually paid €425.... however, I know it was loads less back in Jan 05...

K
xx

And along those same lines, while it's hard to prove that someone deliberately mislead people, it's just as hard to prove that they did NOT deliberately mislead people.

Be that as it may, the burden of proof fortunately rests on the prosecution, not the defense, at least in America. You don't have to prove that you *didn't* do wrong, they have to prove that you *did.*