eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

I know this has been mentioned before - sellers who raise their price after someone expresses interest. Someone had an item listed at auction starting at $25. The shipping was showing close to $20 for me, so I contacted the seller to see if they could just use a flat rate box. The seller said they could ship it to me for $7.50, so I said, great, then if I win, I'll just wait for an invoice with the correct shipping before I pay. Shortly thereafter, the starting price was changed to $31. I didn't look at the auction again until the last day when it came to the top of my watch list, and it was changed to $65! No one bid, including me!

There is a theory about raising a price if an item doesn't sell. Some experienced sellers swear it works. Interesting thread about it here:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archi...se-the-price-This-is-one-of-the/td-p/17716319

If the price is too low it can make the buyer wonder if there's something wrong with the item that is not being disclosed. The perception of quality is influenced by price. "If you do not assign value to your items, no one else will either."

Another thought: "If you raise it enough, you hit a market that is not price sensitive. I've met plenty of people who see something they want and buy it without even glancing at the price. You also hit markets where people assume because it's priced higher, it must be "better" in some way. It doesn't work every time, but it works often enough that it's not nonsense."

It has given me something to think about when relisting my items. :graucho:

Tradesy: when people "loves" my items but not buy them, even when I lower the prices my items still sit in my closet. *rollseyes* If you love it so much, then buy it already! They're just annoying as watchers on ebay!

Tradesy: when people "loves" my items but not buy them, even when I lower the prices my items still sit in my closet. *rollseyes* If you love it so much, then buy it already! They're just annoying as watchers on ebay!
I forget to look at my loves list on Tradesy. On ebay, because listings expire and my watch list is sorted in the order of ending soonest, I get reminded of listings when they get to the first page. Also, ebay sends me messages asking me if I'm still interested, and tells me when sellers have lowered prices. They are starting to do it on items I don't even have on my watch list, just items I've looked at. Tradesy should do something like that. I've gotten a few messages from Tradesy telling me when items on my love list have lowered prices, but I think they only do that for certain sellers. I bet I would make sales if my watchers knew I had lowered my price.

When a buyer contacts you multiple times about your item (which is encouraged) then purchases your item and then states that it's a gift and needs it yesterday.
You go out of your way to ship using a costlier service and never receive even a "Thank you."

There is a theory about raising a price if an item doesn't sell. Some experienced sellers swear it works. Interesting thread about it here:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archi...se-the-price-This-is-one-of-the/td-p/17716319

If the price is too low it can make the buyer wonder if there's something wrong with the item that is not being disclosed. The perception of quality is influenced by price. "If you do not assign value to your items, no one else will either."

Another thought: "If you raise it enough, you hit a market that is not price sensitive. I've met plenty of people who see something they want and buy it without even glancing at the price. You also hit markets where people assume because it's priced higher, it must be "better" in some way. It doesn't work every time, but it works often enough that it's not nonsense."

It has given me something to think about when relisting my items. :graucho:
My biggest pet peeve as a seller on ebay is when I have a fixed price listing, and my message box is full of low ball offers. It really makes me mad! I can be kinda snippy in my replies sometimes. I even put in my listings "to be fair to all members, please do not message best offers on a fixed price listing", but it continues! Ebay buyers do not read! My items are not in a flea market.. It feels good to vent about this... lol

My biggest pet peeve as a seller on ebay is when I have a fixed price listing, and my message box is full of low ball offers. It really makes me mad! I can be kinda snippy in my replies sometimes. I even put in my listings "to be fair to all members, please do not message best offers on a fixed price listing", but it continues! Ebay buyers do not read! My items are not in a flea market.. It feels good to vent about this... lol
There was a time that making an offer on a listing that didn't offer a b.o. option was a policy violation. But ebay changed that policy and this is what they state. (It still gives you the option as a seller to reject offers.)

If the Make Offer button doesn't appear in the listing, the seller may not be interested in receiving offers. If you do contact a seller to negotiate price or terms, you shouldn't make offers to buy the item outside of eBay. Doing so violates our offers to buy or sell outside of eBay policy.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html

Yes! Yes! And more yes! :P It especially stinks when the price is really reasonable. I am like what is the reservation about? Can I help you? I know they are invisible until they reveal themselves with a question or to haggle. The problems with online selling. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: JenW
Those buyers ignored that on purpose most likely. I have read from one that does that because he believed all prices set by sellers were truly negotiable. He believed a seller's asking price was not their final or best price.

Reactions: JenW
I forget to look at my loves list on Tradesy. On ebay, because listings expire and my watch list is sorted in the order of ending soonest, I get reminded of listings when they get to the first page. Also, ebay sends me messages asking me if I'm still interested, and tells me when sellers have lowered prices. They are starting to do it on items I don't even have on my watch list, just items I've looked at. Tradesy should do something like that. I've gotten a few messages from Tradesy telling me when items on my love list have lowered prices, but I think they only do that for certain sellers. I bet I would make sales if my watchers knew I had lowered my price.
That is a pet peeve for EBay for me. They send me emails on things they think I would like that are barely similar. It has made me take things off my wish list or saved searches.

Person makes offer then retracts offer. The next day same person makes same offer on same item and then retracts offer again. They went straight to my BBL, but why do people do this?
I would have done exactly what you did! Someone who's that fickle is one who will buy the item, pay and receive it, then change her mind and want to return.

I would have done exactly what you did! Someone who's that fickle is one who will buy the item, pay and receive it, then change her mind and want to return.
That's what I thought. The only reason I did not take their first offer straight away because I was away at a trade show and could not send a combined invoice (2 items). Saved me a lot of hassle, I think.