Food Easy, make tonight, rice and beans recipe?

Nishi621

O.G.
Apr 30, 2006
Hubby wants rice and beans for dinner tonight-he think i can just throw a can of kidney beans on top of some rice and it will be good. I don't think so-LOL! I have never made rice and beans before-is there any easy way to do it with canned kidney beans and white rice?

Well, we make this occasionally. Cook rice according to directions. Sauté a chopped green pepper and onion in a little oil. Add drained can of kidney beans. Add a little chicken broth or chicken bouillon to rice to give it some flavor. Combine everything together. We usually add sliced up skinless smoked sausage, too. You can probably find a better recipe if you google it.

Theres a good recipe on the inside packet of Aidells cajun style andouille sausages, You can omitt the sausage if you want
2 TBSP olive oil
2 links sausage, chopped
1 tsp cajun seasoning or thyme
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 15 oz can of red beans or kidney beans
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
4 cups rice, (I cheat and use brown instant instead)

Heat olive oil in a lg skillet and sautee sausage, seasoning,onion,celery and garlic over MED heat for 5 min. Add the beans,tom sauce, and chicken stock. Simmer 10 min serve the mixture over cooked rice. Serves 4

I know this was from yesterday but it's still a good recipe! yummy!

LadyJane, that looks really good! Thanks for sharing. Rice and beans is one of BF's favorite quick dinners. We saute a diced onion and diced green bell pepper, then we toss that into a pot with a 2 cans of Goya beans (we prefer black but kidney would work well too), some chili powder, and a little sugar. Simmer that for maybe 10 or 15 mins, mostly just until it's heated through, and then serve it over some rice. I cook the rice with a pinch of salt in it for flavor. Sometimes, we serve this with quesadillas on the side- if I'm really lazy I'll make those in the microwave. Thin slices of jack cheese in between two mini tortillas, on a plate, micro for about 30 or 45 seconds.