Dyeing my balenciaga city: white to black

cola262

addicted
O.G.
Oct 24, 2006
Hi Ladies,
I followed dstar/RERE/Cleo to dye my city. When I purchased the bag, it was still perfect with slight oxidizing. I took care of it but there was a stain so I used Mr. Clean magic eraser on it (it was raved about for LV vachetta, but DO NOT EVER USE IT ON BALENCIAGA!) :cursing:. Anyway, after I used the magic eraser, the leather began to oxidize so quickly and picked up dirt more quickly.

Picture 1:
Before. The actual color of the bag is darker than the first picture and lighter than the second picture. I took both pics today. The handles were darkened. I used tarrago dye number 18: black

Picture 2:
I wiped the bag with the preparing solution using a scotch brite pad followed by a cotton round. I started to use the brush on the edges/stitching and used the brush to apply the dye to the sponge that came with the kit. I then used the sponge on the bag.

Attachments

• Dyeing1.JPG
    Dyeing1.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Dyeing2.JPG
    Dyeing2.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 3,615
I started with the front side, taking care to lift the parts that can be lifted to "paint" the hard to reach parts.

The color after 1 coat ended up like a plomb color. It photographed shinier than it is.

Attachments

• Dyeing3.JPG
    Dyeing3.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 3,440
Closeup of the front. I dyed the zipper part with the same dye.

I'm excited! I can't wait to see the results. The dye doesn't really smell at all. The bbag leather just absorbs the dye.:wlae:

I'd been thinking about dying my bag ever since I read that thread about dyeing (the one where people warned about the leather texture changing)...but dstar said hers still feels smooshy and I hope mine stays smooshy too.

Attachments

• Dyeing4.JPG
    Dyeing4.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 3,138
  • Dyeing5.JPG
    Dyeing5.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 3,000
Thanks, Izznit, Handbagaddict!! I am having trouble waiting. There is definitely a lot of waiting involved, because I have to do 1 side first, wait for it to dry, to the other side. Then after a few hours till they dry, I do the second coat.

I'm saving the handles for last because I found a nice wall light the bag can hang from to dry. The dye actually sets in just a few minutes (won't come off) but it it doesn't dry enough (still feels sticky) for a few hours.

Thanks, Showlover! Here are some pictures...the back and sides are dyed now but not the handles yet. =D

When the dye is first applied, it is black, then turns silvery and shiny, then dries to be black and only slightly shiny. It looks great!

Attachments

• Dyeing9.JPG
    Dyeing9.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 2,976
  • Dyeing8.JPG
    Dyeing8.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 2,945
  • Dyeing7.JPG
    Dyeing7.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 2,981
  • Dyeing6.JPG
    Dyeing6.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 3,134
  • Dyeing10.JPG
    Dyeing10.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 3,105
HELP! My bag still feels tacky/wet this morning. Is it supposed to be like this? I tried conditioning it and it lifted off the dye. The instructions said 5 hours and it's dry. I just looked at the website and now it seems to say 24-48 hours to dry. Is that right? Thanks.

Swissaus, I am going to wait till tomorrow and see if it's completely dry. Right now it's dry as in it doesn't rub off. But it still feels damp, as in if I smoosh my bag, I can hear the sticky sound.

Vida, if I wipe with a dry cloth, the color doesn't come off. But I had tried to moisturize with meltonian leather lotion, and the area's color came right off.

The bag looks great! though it does feel tacky right now....I really hope it goes away like RERE and dstar's bags. I remember they said their bags are smooshy and nice.

Reactions: MJLegaspo