Dune Pebbled Nano vs. Black Smooth Leather Nano

Dune Pebbled Leather vs. Black Smooth Leather Nano?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 4, 2006
The nano has been on and off my list since like 2012. I almost got one in goatskin last fall in one of those seasonal colors (forgot the name of that aqua color). Anyways, my struggle has always been getting past that robot face lol! Lately I've concluded that I do want a nano but only in a neutral color. I'm trying to decide between a Dune Pebbled leather or a Black Smooth leather.

Things I gotta consider:

- Structure: I read that Smooth leather maintains the structure better than Pebbled leather, is that true?

- Color transfer: love Dune but has anyone experienced color transfer? Were you able to clean the stain with any product?

- Scratches: How easy is the Black Smooth leather to get scratches?

I take care of my bags and don't throw them around, but I'm also 36 weeks pregnant so I wonder which choice is easier to deal with when you have a baby/toddler.

I think both colors will work with my wardrobe.

So, what would you pick?

Structure: I have a micro in smooth and it's held up considerably well as far as the structure goes. I'm not sure if your familiar but the whole "slouching" issue has been apparently "fixed". So no matter what leather you choose, the bag should hold its shape. For the nano though, its so small, and so structured that either smooth or pebbled should hold up really well. (Even though it's small, it holds a lot!)

Color transfer: there has been issues brought up about color transfer on lighter colors. My white smooth calfskin has no color transfer but when you have a nano, it's ALWAYS on you. This means it's like skinny jeans on skin. It really depends on what jeans you wear. If you have jeans that bleed then I would avoid wearing the bag that day or to not have to deal with it, go with a black nano.

Scratches: smooth obviously is more delicate. However, my smooth has held up considerably well. I wrote on another thread..I walk into my wooden door frame every morning. It's like clock work. And time and time again I have my smooth micro in my hand...bam! Haha and it's fine. They aren't that fragile.

As a practical "mom bag" you may want to look into an Evelyne...okay okay, I know your asking about the nano and I'm a total Céline fan, but for practicality, an Evelyne may suit your needs much better. Specifically because you can't fit an 8oz bottle or even a diaper or anything like that once you have your own items in there.( Keys, wallet, phone, Chapstick etc.) Babies are really only babies for 6 months and then the toddler stage drags on haha so you will be carrying lots of snacks. Plus the evelyne comes in three sizes, is the same price and you have so many choices of colors and leathers. As well as it being a cross body!!!! Not suggesting you use it as a diaper bag, but it may fit your need better. I hope this helped a little!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrian Ho
Structure: I have a micro in smooth and it's held up considerably well as far as the structure goes. I'm not sure if your familiar but the whole "slouching" issue has been apparently "fixed". So no matter what leather you choose, the bag should hold its shape. For the nano though, its so small, and so structured that either smooth or pebbled should hold up really well. (Even though it's small, it holds a lot!)

Color transfer: there has been issues brought up about color transfer on lighter colors. My white smooth calfskin has no color transfer but when you have a nano, it's ALWAYS on you. This means it's like skinny jeans on skin. It really depends on what jeans you wear. If you have jeans that bleed then I would avoid wearing the bag that day or to not have to deal with it, go with a black nano.

Scratches: smooth obviously is more delicate. However, my smooth has held up considerably well. I wrote on another thread..I walk into my wooden door frame every morning. It's like clock work. And time and time again I have my smooth micro in my hand...bam! Haha and it's fine. They aren't that fragile.

As a practical "mom bag" you may want to look into an Evelyne...okay okay, I know your asking about the nano and I'm a total Céline fan, but for practicality, an Evelyne may suit your needs much better. Specifically because you can't fit an 8oz bottle or even a diaper or anything like that once you have your own items in there.( Keys, wallet, phone, Chapstick etc.) Babies are really only babies for 6 months and then the toddler stage drags on haha so you will be carrying lots of snacks. Plus the evelyne comes in three sizes, is the same price and you have so many choices of colors and leathers. As well as it being a cross body!!!! Not suggesting you use it as a diaper bag, but it may fit your need better. I hope this helped a little!!!
Thanks for the info. I don't like the Evelyn though (really dislike that huge H). I also am not looking for a mommy bag really. When I had my older one, I always had a separate diaper bag (non-designer, I am so not gonna put in bottles etc. into any of my designer bags LOL!). A small crossbody is only to hold my other essentials like wallet, cellphone and keys. When they are older/pre-schooler, already potty-trained, I like using hobo or tote bags like the large Veneta so that I can keep some small toys and books in there to keep the kid entertained. But sounds like a darker color smooth leather is probably easier to deal with than Dune pebbled since you are right the light color bag will always touch my jeans unless I don't wear jeans when I wear the bag.

Thanks for the info. I don't like the Evelyn though (really dislike that huge H). I also am not looking for a mommy bag really. When I had my older one, I always had a separate diaper bag (non-designer, I am so not gonna put in bottles etc. into any of my designer bags LOL!). A small crossbody is only to hold my other essentials like wallet, cellphone and keys. When they are older/pre-schooler, already potty-trained, I like using hobo or tote bags like the large Veneta so that I can keep some small toys and books in there to keep the kid entertained. But sounds like a darker color smooth leather is probably easier to deal with than Dune pebbled since you are right the light color bag will always touch my jeans unless I don't wear jeans when I wear the bag.

Well I hope you enjoy which ever you decide to go with. I wish you the best with the rest of your pregnancy!! [emoji171][emoji1405]

Reactions: hikarupanda
My first nano was in dune pebbled....I wanted it forever but once I got it I found the color wasn't as versatile as I had hoped. No color transfer issues...but I read others mention it. Also, I find the pebbled leather seems more prone to color loss around the edges and trim. Though I kept it and tried to make it work.

Shortly afterwards, I got a burgundy smooth and found that combo much more useful. Haven't had any issues with wear and tear surprisingly. But I would do my best to avoid wearing it in the rain even tho I protected it.

However, my third and favorite nano is my medium grey python....I use it to death in all types of weather and seasons without issue, and the color pretty much goes with everything. It's now my go to bag.

That being said, I recently sold the Dune after not using it for at least 6 months.

My first nano was in dune pebbled....I wanted it forever but once I got it I found the color wasn't as versatile as I had hoped. No color transfer issues...but I read others mention it. Also, I find the pebbled leather seems more prone to color loss around the edges and trim. Though I kept it and tried to make it work.

Shortly afterwards, I got a burgundy smooth and found that combo much more useful. Haven't had any issues with wear and tear surprisingly. But I would do my best to avoid wearing it in the rain even tho I protected it.

However, my third and favorite nano is my medium grey python....I use it to death in all types of weather and seasons without issue, and the color pretty much goes with everything. It's now my go to bag.

That being said, I recently sold the Dune after not using it for at least 6 months.

Thx for the info especially your feedback re: Dune! I didn't know about color loss on the edges and trim!