Docride's Hermes vintage bag nightmares & Hermes leather care

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear docride, 9 months ago I acquired a beautiful vintage Kelly and you helped me make it shine even more. Now, I'm excited because I'm expecting an older but never worn before Drag in box leather. She looks almost pristine. I promised the hubby not to mess with this one too much, but is there something you'd do on arrival? She a beautiful dark blue color (blue sapphire or royal blue), so not too easily affected by handling. Thanks in advance and kind regards

Hi there,
Wow that's exciting! Congratulations! How old is the drag bag? Lets have you look real close at it when it arrives and see its real condition. Too many times folks will think they have a bag in perfect condition just because its shiny and not covered in blemishes... when in fact they may have a very dry leather below shiny polish in need of TLC ...
So let me know what its like when it arrives..
The conditioners yo used on your other box calf project should work here as well....
All the best doc

Reactions: ladysarah
Thanks for the reply!

So the leather is not likely to be restored is that what you're suggesting Doc? It looks soo dry in some pictures
Im saying that the finish /top coat isn't going to magically become smooth with conditioning...think of the finish/top coat like a surface paint... if you have cracking paint on a wall you cant put a conditioner on top to make it all smooth again see?
In this case you might be able to condition the leather below finish ....which could help the leather... but the over all appearance isn't going to look drastically different. See?
Hugs,doc

Caro Docribe
Hi this is in a language I don't speak but im thinking you are asking about care of a vintage veau courchevel leather item right?
How about posting a photo and see if I can help guide you ?
All the best,doc
I'm sorry Docribe,
Grazie = Thank you
My english is an european english...
I'm italian and google traslates all whren write ... pardon me.
I've choised better for me.
I follow you and I've decided for barenia Hermès bag.
I've only a picotin 18 in barenia and has problems, with calm i'll post photos.
Barenia is a difficult leather but I've seen your Birkin and HAC 32 wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
I wish a good HAC 32 in barenia but first, i must re sell my birkin in togo 35 , for now there is an evelyne in barenia.
Is in barenia?
What do you think about this, is a good evelyne?

Attachments

• $_57 (5).JPG
    $_57 (5).JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 761
  • $_57 (6).JPG
    $_57 (6).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 724
  • $_57 (7).JPG
    $_57 (7).JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 723
  • $_57 (8).JPG
    $_57 (8).JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 709
  • $_57 (9).JPG
    $_57 (9).JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 777
  • $_57 (12).JPG
    $_57 (12).JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 697
  • $_57 (13).JPG
    $_57 (13).JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 701
  • $_57 (14).JPG
    $_57 (14).JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 696
  • $_57 (15).JPG
    $_57 (15).JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 694
Hello, Congratulations on your beautiful veau sombreo bag how exciting. You would not want to use either of those products on it , as it will make a royal mess of things. What are you trying to accomplish? Your best bet is to use products which work well on Barenia...... Google barenia or unfinished care products ?
All the best doc

Ok thanks! Will do

Hello, I would not use saddle soap on your bags was that recommended to you? although it could be used on box calf its really rather involved and it would never be something I would recommend to folks as a general treatment at all too much chance of having things go wrong...... and I would also not go to thinking than saddle soap is a great cleaner of marks .. much of what you may perceive to be marks or dirt is usually wear and stains which will of course not clean off.
Perhaps you should post photos of the issues first and the we can help you come up with a plan.
I would not over use saphir renovator as its a greasy type of conditioner... so I would use it sparingly on leathers such as box calf and charmonixx andtake care not to apply it repeatedly to the stitching. Mind you it is suitable only on certain leather types; I would not use it on togo for instance.
I hope this helps?
All the best,doc

thanks so much for the advice. @docride No, it wasn't you suggested using saddle soup, but I read in some other blogs. I bought it, but never used it. I did use renovator for my kelly boxcalf. So, as a treatment conditioner for togo and clemence leather (as a general use), if not renovator, which one you will suggest? pls...

Hi Doc!! I hope you are well!

I'm looking at a vintage bag and was hoping you could give me your opinion on this wrinkling? I know I can't get rid of it entirely but do you think it looks superficial? The bag is from 1992.

Thank you!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 680
Hi doc! I figure you're an expert here, so would like your opinion. I have a vintage box leather Kelly that's got some small cracks. If the bag is open the cracks kind of "even out". I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to stop the cracks from getting worse and potentially repairing it (does Hermes spa deal with this kind of thing?)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi docride, am a big fan of your extensive knowledge and generosity to share it with everyone.

I would like to seek your opinion regards to my Togo Birkin 40. I've realize my Birkin 40 is losing its shape as the leather has soften quite abit. Am worried as the handles seem to be pulling the leather and is stretching it quite abit when carried. Was wondering if there is any solution to help restore the Birkin to its more rigid and stiff form. I was wondering if the Hermes spa would be able to do so too. I've heard that they are able to restore the Birkin back to its original shape.

Thanks for taking time to read this, your opinion would mean a lot to me. Have a good day!

Doc, I have probably a very common question for you that is hopefully easy to answer.

My etain K35 GHW is showing very slight scuff marks on the bottom edges of the bag.
I literally baby my Bs/Ks and am shocked ~ Is there an easy solution to help this?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Pics below:
A96E884F-642B-45CE-AF19-B0113DDE8611_zpsc0xv7ar3.jpg

77EDB1D1-08B7-4E5A-8B64-5511529E758A_zpsvg8puyna.jpg

Hello there,
First off do NOT pat water on chevre you could get a water blister..... Try a leather cleansing wipe there are several reputable companies that make them.....just google...... and if that doesn't work let me know and well sort out the next steps.... Any ideas what that is? it kind of looks like it could be markup?
What ever you do ,do NOT use a baby wipe....
All the best doc

update: I put a very very small amount of saphir renomat on the spot and buffed it lightly with a lint free cloth. the spot disappeared. but can I ask you if you are familiar with Saphir products? I recently used the Saphir renovateur to condition my calfskin chanel bag. Instead of conditioning it, it stained my bag heavily. Is there anyway I can remove the product now? I read somewhere that Saphir renovateur contains mink oil - is this the stain culprit? Help?

Caro Docribe

I'm sorry Docribe,
Grazie = Thank you
My english is an european english...
I'm italian and google traslates all whren write ... pardon me.
I've choised better for me.
I follow you and I've decided for barenia Hermès bag.
I've only a picotin 18 in barenia and has problems, with calm i'll post photos.
Barenia is a difficult leather but I've seen your Birkin and HAC 32 wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
I wish a good HAC 32 in barenia but first, i must re sell my birkin in togo 35 , for now there is an evelyne in barenia.
Is in barenia?
What do you think about this, is a good evelyne?

Hello, its beautiful and yes it is barenia leather and I think it looks good, congratulations if you purchase it....
All the best,doc
PS Good luck in hunting for your dream `Barenia HAC` :smile:

update: I put a very very small amount of saphir renomat on the spot and buffed it lightly with a lint free cloth. the spot disappeared. but can I ask you if you are familiar with Saphir products? I recently used the Saphir renovateur to condition my calfskin chanel bag. Instead of conditioning it, it stained my bag heavily. Is there anyway I can remove the product now? I read somewhere that Saphir renovateur contains mink oil - is this the stain culprit? Help?
Hello, I am familiar with Saphir renovanteur... yes it is oily and yes its not suitable for all leathers and yes most likely if you have a blotchy appearance to your calf skin after its use the greases and oils are most likely the culprit. We can not discuss non Hermes bags here Im sorry...

Doc, I have probably a very common question for you that is hopefully easy to answer.

My etain K35 GHW is showing very slight scuff marks on the bottom edges of the bag.
I literally baby my Bs/Ks and am shocked ~ Is there an easy solution to help this?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Pics below:
A96E884F-642B-45CE-AF19-B0113DDE8611_zpsc0xv7ar3.jpg

77EDB1D1-08B7-4E5A-8B64-5511529E758A_zpsvg8puyna.jpg

Hi there,
A color touch up on the corners would be the Fix. You can send the bag to Hermes spa and they'll apply some color touch up for you. Or if you are handy you can buy a color touch up kit and fix it your self...
I hope this helps?
All the best,doc

Status
Not open for further replies.