Do you worry about becoming too materialistic and bag-crazy?

Yeah my mums always telling me that I should stop being so materialistic and that my £700 for a bag could have fed a poor family for a good couple of months! So I have decided to send my next bag money to the poor :smile:

Wonderful attitude - generosity is powerful. What goes around, comes around! Anytime I splurge on myself, I try to give something to the disadvantaged. Here in Texas, all the charities are running really low on stock because of the number of hurricanes, fires, floods & other disasters in the last year. Even if I've spent every spare penny, I can always find some almost new things (sometimes new w/tags!) I don't need & give them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. I like to think of it as win/win. :heart:

To me, it's about balance. I buy only what I love and can afford at the time and I don't build my life around them. I use them and enjoy them but when I find I don't carry them anymore, I get rid of them and don't look back.

Too much can be too much. I find there are two types of people when it comes to these type situations. People who buy what they love and they enjoy it and keep it in perspective and those who feel like they have to have the latest and most expensive because they lack other things in their life. And usually, it's attention. I know people like this. They shop EVERY SINGLE DAY, have the latest high end bags and shoes (and they always seem to have to tell you how much they cost), but they are miserable at home. They have virtually no relationship with their husbands and their kids are disfunctional and under-developed. They get no attention because mommy shops all day long. It's sad and ridiculous.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having nice things but I also believe in listening to that little voice inside your head. When it begins to tell you "enough already", you should listen to it.

Sometimes i feel that way. Bags have an addicting way about them, you buy one and then you want another. But i try my best to take care of all my needs first, then buy bags because if not, i would be at the mall all day.

"I don't think there is anything wrong with having nice things but I also believe in listening to that little voice inside your head. When it begins to tell you "enough already", you should listen to it."

Very wise advice that can apply to just about everything.

Alright, I own way too many handbags. I am willing to own up to that. However, they make me happy and I enjoy having something special. Everything I own is not from Saks or NM. In fact most things I own aren't. I don't have kids, so I refuse to feel guilty about it. Besides most of my bags have excellent resale value, so I can always liquidate my assets if needed.
However, I have gotten to a point in my collection where I am pretty satisfied with what I have. If I want something else, I try to sell one of my current bags so I can break even financially. I try to compare, do I want the new bag or the one I have more.

Yeah my mums always telling me that I should stop being so materialistic and that my £700 for a bag could have fed a poor family for a good couple of months! So I have decided to send my next bag money to the poor :smile:

That's a wonderful idea and the same reason i decided to be really satisfied with what I have. Other than a new winter coat (I needed down) and one pair of new jeans to treat myself when I lose some weight (I'm working on this), I've decided I've got nice things already and if necessary, will simply get them altered. As for bags, well, I'd like to treat myself to a Charlott Vasberg or a Tanner Krolle, but want to wait at least a year to make it an occasion.

Unless there's some amazing bargain on Ebay. Then all bets are off.:shame:

There was some guilt at first, but I thought about all the years I put everyone else in my family first and sacrificed a lot when we needed to. Now I'm not going crazy buying bags, but I really love the ones I have. tPF has made me more selective in choosing what to buy. My husband doesn't say a thing. His hobbies are golf and computers--not cheap.

I'm a college student and a miserable little spoiled brat. I feel pretty guilty sometimes, especially because my friends don't carry designer bags and would probably flip if they knew how much money i spent. at the same time, though, i feel that i have the capacity to spend within reason and i never make big purchases without a lot of thought/on a special occasion like my birthday. that said, a sale is a special occasion, and i tend to spend a LOT of money at sales. my mom and i share all our handbags though so that makes me feel a bit better.

Yes. I've been feeling guilty for 3 months now. I bought my bag in July. So I put myself on a purse ban until next July. Although I did purchase this bag with the money I saved up (both by setting aside an amount each month and not spending unnecessarily on other aspects), it was still a huge purchase and I feel that I should learn to appreciate it.

I also get rid of my other unwanted bags so that they can find new loving homes and owners. I've gotten rid of the bulk of my bags, about 20 of them. I still have some more to go around though.

I admit that I used to buy a new bag every other week but now I buy something only after serious consideration and when I am sure that I really really like it and will use it for a long time.

Hello, I'm a recovering shopaholic.

Sometimes, but I know that in the end, the bags mean less to me than any other important priority in my life. I might like a material item, but I don't love my possessions. I would willingly sell my bags if the need came about, and wouldn't feel sad in the process.

When I look back on how many hours a day I've spent surfing purse forums over the last year and instead invested that time into writing my thesis, I think I would've been finished writing by now and wouldn't be in such a time crunch to finish. So, in that sense I feel really bad about "wasting" too much time on my purse obsession.

To me, it's about balance. I buy only what I love and can afford at the time and I don't build my life around them. I use them and enjoy them but when I find I don't carry them anymore, I get rid of them and don't look back.

Too much can be too much. I find there are two types of people when it comes to these type situations. People who buy what they love and they enjoy it and keep it in perspective and those who feel like they have to have the latest and most expensive because they lack other things in their life. And usually, it's attention. I know people like this. They shop EVERY SINGLE DAY, have the latest high end bags and shoes (and they always seem to have to tell you how much they cost), but they are miserable at home. They have virtually no relationship with their husbands and their kids are disfunctional and under-developed. They get no attention because mommy shops all day long. It's sad and ridiculous.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having nice things but I also believe in listening to that little voice inside your head. When it begins to tell you "enough already", you should listen to it.

I agree with this.

There is a point when it's too much, and only you know when it is.

Try to refrain from shopping (online and in stores) for awhile if you feel uncomfortable about it.

:flowers:

Wow. Very well said. I agree completely. But it's hard sometimes not to get sucked in and stay in the proper perspective.