do you use dust bags for LV in closet?

your bags will patina just being exposed to air. i keep mine in their dustbags because it protects them from light, air particles, dust, etc. plus i don't have a whole lot of space in my closet for them (i need to empty the shelf above them) so right now my pochettes are sitting on top of my larger bags. color transfer = bad so dustbags = good!

It's still getting darker even being in the closet and in dustbag:wtf: ? *sigh* I don't like patina much, I prefer light color:sad:

Ya, the reason why the leather turns colour is cuz it's undergoing a redox reaction. So unless you can get rid of all types of oxidants (eg. our beloved oxygen = super strong oxidizing agent) then it's pretty much hopeless to prevent the patina from forming. The sun (light/heat) is just a catalyst, so even if you hide your bags in a dark room, the leather will continue to oxidize but more slowly.

eg. ever notice that when you cut an apple, it's white/beige at first, then a few hrs later, it turns into a nasty yellow color??? Pretty much the same idea here.

Okie, enough chem, back to bags lol. I store my bags and accessories in their dustbags and in my sauna down in the basement. My family never uses the sauna so it's my lil secret room where I hide all my valuables lol. I was told that the wood has the ability to suck up extra moisture, so i guess that's good and every week I turn up this machine to ventilate the room.

Yep, my babies are always in their bags. The vachetta will always get darker with time. Keeping them in the dustbags and boxes will only slow it down. My manhattan GM was only used twice and it was sitting in my closet for 3 months. When I pulled it out, I noticed the areas that were covered from the buckle straps were lighter.

I'm noticing the same on my Shirley, at first I thought something was wrong with it, then realize it's the vachetta process, where the buckle covers over, is lighter vachetta than the rest...;)

I use dustbags except when I have my LV's sitting around in an LV stilllife, which I do alot! Like next to a vase of flowers or certain cards or colors,,, I use them for this as much as i carry them!! So many things to do with adored LV!!!!

When not in use, my LVs are all in dust bags and if I have the original box, I put it in there too. I am very, very careful about bags that I slaved for in over to buy.

By the way, didn't get to read all the posts but to those who light the light color of the handles and straps, unfortunately the more use the LV gets, the patina will get darker. The leather reacts to the oils and acids in our hands.

Maybe we should make gloves fashionable again?:P

The only LV I tend to keep in a dust bag is my Onatah GM. The rest are displayed on a book case next to my bed. I switch my bags so often (sometimes multiple times a day) that I need them in easy reach.

Do you keep your LVs in the dust bag when you keep it in the closet? If I don't, will the vachetta keep getting darker in the closet, even with no sun shining in there?

Yes, the vachetta will patina more quickly if you don't store the bag in its dustcover, even if the bag is sitting in the closet away from any sunlight and even if the air in your house is dry (i.e, low humidity).

Do you keep your LVs in the dust bag when you keep it in the closet? If I don't, will the vachetta keep getting darker in the closet, even with no sun shining in there? I have one that I love the honey color patina and don't want it to get darker, and another new one that I want to get darker!

Yes I do, infact my denim speedy is even under a pile of t -shirt.. (no light) will get to it :biggrin: