do you shop for your REAL or IMAGINARY lifestyle?

I shop second hand so it’s a lot of walking out with empty hands but when I do find something that when I try it on the reflection in the mirror makes my heart leap, it’s a good day. After fifteen years of collecting in the secondhand market this way, I have a good collection of special, high quality items that did not cost very much. The problem was the years of being a SAHM and not getting to wear anything outside of loungewear, that was so depressing but it really felt stupid to put together a really cute outfit just to stay home or push a stroller to the sandbox and back. So I was all about the practicality then, and my clothes just waited.... but now I have an identity outside my kids again so I get to wear them when I go to the university.

When I was younger (teens/twenties) I was really bad about this. I've gotten much better as I get older, and only have a few items for the lifestyle I imagine, rather than my real one.

Saw an interesting take on this idea, and would love to hear what you ladies think...

On certain occasions, it can be good to shop for the life we want/imagine, not the one we have. If my imaginary lifestyle includes lots of hiking, but I don't own any hiking boots - then I need to go out an shop for hiking boots. If my imaginary life includes reading my poems at a local poetry reading event, but I don't own anything I am comfortable wearing to to the event - then I need to shop for an outfit to wear. Maybe the 'I don't have anything to wear' is just a convenient excuse and the real reason is being nervous about being in front of people, in which case getting the outfit removes the excuse and make me face my real reason.

Thoughts?

When I was younger (teens/twenties) I was really bad about this. I've gotten much better as I get older, and only have a few items for the lifestyle I imagine, rather than my real one.

Saw an interesting take on this idea, and would love to hear what you ladies think...

On certain occasions, it can be good to shop for the life we want/imagine, not the one we have. If my imaginary lifestyle includes lots of hiking, but I don't own any hiking boots - then I need to go out an shop for hiking boots. If my imaginary life includes reading my poems at a local poetry reading event, but I don't own anything I am comfortable wearing to to the event - then I need to shop for an outfit to wear. Maybe the 'I don't have anything to wear' is just a convenient excuse and the real reason is being nervous about being in front of people, in which case getting the outfit removes the excuse and make me face my real reason.

Thoughts?
You mean it can be used as a motivation to get towards that imaginary lifestyle?
That’s often how I get tricked...what has helped me is past experiences and envisioning whatever item into my current lifestyle, and also thinking long and hard about next purchase by having a list and mood board or Pinterest.

I probably buy more for my imaginary lifestyle, I don't really "need" anything so I just buy things that appeal to me, which tend to be dresses, cute shoes, purses, makeup, accessories. During the week I go to work everyday but could just wear plain boring clothing and sensible shoes and no makeup but I don't want to do that. I wear my dresses to work sometimes but probably more on the weekends, for work I usually wear my trusty black pants and a top. I will wear heels to work even fancier ones with rhinestones or jewels, the only rule on that is I can't wear open toe at work, I wear cute trendy sneakers and flats too. Purses I don't use at work but enjoy outside of work. I enjoy doing my eyeshadow look each day, I wear all different colors and glitter. So I have fun and really just get compliments, nothing negative.

Thoughts?
I think this could be useful depending where you are in motivation...as long as it spurs you to actually do it. Certainly having the proper equipment (hiking boots) can make an experience better and you more likely to do it. Don't they say "dress for the job you want"?

I used to shop for imaginary lifestyle (probably still is, but not as often as I used to) and had hard times to find clothing for work because most of my clothes are for night out or tea party.

Now that I've learnt my lesson, I buy clothes that suit my current lifestyle, though sometimes I wanted to buy clothing that suit for imaginary lifestyle (sleeveless dresses) but I told myself that I won't be wearing it often and I don't like to wear outerwear plus I commute to work.

Reactions: Sterntalerli