do you shop for your REAL or IMAGINARY lifestyle?

Is anyone out there. still buying shoes ? I mean any kind of shoes...
Was just mentioning to @mellecyn that the only imaginary life items I bought in past year were shoes. I think this is before Amina Muaddi and Mach & Mach, but I got some bling heels that I haven't worn yet. Other than that, my combat boot purchases have served me well.

I only buy for the lifestyle I lead. How would it benefit me if I bought dresses, skirts, cocktail dresses, etc. if I can't wear them? I have a few of these items at home (fancy dresses) but I haven't worn them at all, so I'll stick to only buying what I need and wear (shirts, pants, blouses, etc.).

• Love
Reactions: 880
This is a really introspective question, thanks for this. I've always shopped for my imaginary lifestyle. Not that I don't get a couple opportunities to don my best things, but they're very few and far between. I've suffered from chronic illness for almost the past decade, and I've realized I shop a lot not only because of that but it gives me a dream, to picture myself able to live another kind of life someday, in the things that I find beautiful.

My current real vs imaginary life question: if you can comfortably fit into 2 jeans sizes, do you go for the one with the tight, lie on the bed and yoink upwards fit or do you go for the currently loose fit (but of the size you intend to be)?

Reactions: Bratty1919
My current real vs imaginary life question: if you can comfortably fit into 2 jeans sizes, do you go for the one with the tight, lie on the bed and yoink upwards fit or do you go for the currently loose fit (but of the size you intend to be)?

Hmm... for me, if I have to lie down on the bed to zip jeans, that pair would not be comfortable to me. I would get the larger as I like to be comfortable in my jeans. "Lie on the bed to zip" would just be too tight for my liking.

I only buy for the lifestyle I lead. How would it benefit me if I bought dresses, skirts, cocktail dresses, etc. if I can't wear them? I have a few of these items at home (fancy dresses) but I haven't worn them at all, so I'll stick to only buying what I need and wear (shirts, pants, blouses, etc.).
This is a really introspective question, thanks for this. I've always shopped for my imaginary lifestyle. Not that I don't get a couple opportunities to don my best things, but they're very few and far between. I've suffered from chronic illness for almost the past decade, and I've realized I shop a lot not only because of that but it gives me a dream, to picture myself able to live another kind of life someday, in the things that I find beautiful.
I think is important to dress for joy- not just practicality. I draw that line at discomfort though- what ever I buy has to be comfortable. No itchy fabrics (polyester, plastics etc) no painful shoes and no skinny jeans.
yes to floaty linen dresses, bouncy trainers and pretty colours.

Resurrecting this to see if we are shopping for our real life or for our IG feed? In this age of ‘influencers’ is even more challenging is it?
I made a list of actual things I needed for a trip abroad and then cross referenced them with things I simply wanted to buy. Thankfully there was some correlation and it helped me cross out a lot of things off my list.

Reactions: Joeli7
85% Real life 15% Imaginary
and when I bought the 2 Alaia outfits, the invitations to 2 Garden Parties at Buckingham arrived. (Not even joking).
I think this still holds true. I know that occasionally something will crop up and it would be impossible to find the right outfit for that with short notice. This is why I am in the process of custom making a look which I first wore for my wedding, updated for formal occasions. Every item is hand sewn, beaded and will take up to 9 months so it's better to start early. Everything else I buy now is for real life, whether it's Hermes, Chanel, Dior or COS, Hnm Uniqlo. 😉

Reactions: CoastalCouture
I can’t remember where I read this - it was years ago- basically the suggestion was to make a list of events/activities/work etc that you can predict in the next 6 months. Then check that you have the ‘right’ clothes, weather wise as well as chic wise.
These days I do that meticulously when travelling and it’s surprisingly useful. Work clothes, sightseeing shoes, smart restaurants or galleries, not forgetting pyjamas and yoga clothes of course. Shoes are now mostly trainers no matter what. :giggle:

Occasionally for an imaginary life (only if I love it and feel that I will get amazing cost per wear eventually)

In that imaginary category are items that might look a bit more mature; so, sometimes I loan these things to my my mom first. They will eventually come back to me :smile:

I think I have become much more laser focused on only purchasing for my real versus imaginary life of the past few years. This took some time and a great deal of self reflection to realistically assess and evaluate my true wardrobe needs. I still enjoy fashion, and need fewer things than I did when the kids were very young. After many years in a certain professional look, I am relearning how to do casual chic in a more modern way.