Do You Know Your Neighbors ?

i like in an apartment in a college town, so it's a little different. we have 4 guys living next to us that we call "the douchebags next door" because they always kinda seem like jerks on the elevator. there are 4 guys living across from us that seem nice, but play guitar hero very loudly.

there's a cute on with dark hair that always holds the elevator for me, though, so they can stay.

We have really nice neighbors but we really don't socialize with them like most of you do. I don't recall our neighborhood ever holding a party for homeowners. Anyway, I miss those good ol' days when I was still living with my parents. We've moved 4 times as far as I can remember and everytime, my parents would be great friends with the neighbors. My mom is a fabulous cook and she'd ask me and my sister to bring food to the neighbors :biggrin: She'd make a special batch of her famous torta(yummmm) just for them. It's customary for Filipinos to do this. Back in the Philippines, if you're unable to come to the party, they'd send you food. :biggrin: HOw cool is that?!

I know my neighbours pretty well. We've all lived together on the same quiet street for the past 18 (almost 19) years of my life. Only one new person has moved in in that time when one of our friends sadly passed away. Other than that they've not changed. One of the families opposite I grew up very close with and their children were like my 3 extra sisters. We were all of a similar age and lived in each other houses. Now we're all older and the girls have moved out but their parents still live there and we all catch up whenever they come back to visit.

I love my neighbors! I live in a very quiet neighborhood and I hardly see anyone out. Most of the time you cant even tell when theyre home! When I do see them we usually spend some time chatting.

It's strange. We (my family) are friendly and cordial but don't really "know" them well. My husband will shovel a neighbors snow, clean snow off their cars and cut their grass without being asked. And they've done the same for us and for each other. It's nothing for one of us to cut our grass and then move on and since we're out there anyway, cut our neighbor's as well. Just a nice thing to do. We've all given and accepted rides to the store, work or auto shop if needed. No problem.

I've found that you don't really HAVE to know your neighbors well to be a good neighbor. It's important to look out for one another and give help whenever it's needed. It makes for a close community and it always comes back to you. And nowadays, it's a VERY important lesson for your kids to be taught.

We have a house full of non english speaking polish people to our left, they're very annoying as they play VERY loud techno music solidly from 7am til about 11pm every day! We also have very good reason to believe they're selling drugs due to strange coming and goings - we know what to look for now as the previous neighbours in that house were growing weed, the police raided and took out £40,000 worth of hydroponic equipment and over 400 waist height cannabis plants! (we now have one growing in our shrubbery after the police discarded them :graucho:)

On the right hand side we have a house full of Chinese students who study at the uni at the top of our road and keep themselves to themselves.

I miss not having close relations with the neighbours - I grew up on a street where everyone knew everyone else & it was a real community.