Do you cook for your dog??

We only feed cooked food when she has an upset stomach - chicken breast and rice. Otherwise she eats Natural Balance.

We used to feed her Iams but after my BF did some research online, apparently some of the more popular brands out (such as Iams) there fill up the dry food with potatoes so that they get full but it doesn't have much nutrients. We ended up with Natural Balance and Apple LOOOOVES it.

I buy it at PetCo - large chain here in the US. Maybe you can try and search online?

If you can't find that brand - you can try and look at the ingredients of other brands that don't have alot of by-products. The BF says Iams actually says "chicken byproducts" in the ingredients.
Natural Balance actually claims to be humangrade. It's quite expensive $40 a bag at PetCo. Yes my pup is spoiled. :biggrin:

my mom feeds their bulldog eukanuba weight control food normally (we started her on it because bulldogs are prone to becoming overweight, now she refuses the regular stuff!), but i called my mom last night and she answered the phone and said 'i can't talk right now, it's the baby's birthday and i'm making her a hamburger.'

they baby, of course, is the dog.

Just make sure you don't actually feed the cooked bones to them! They easily can splinter and cut the dog inside. It happened to one of my old guys and he nearly died - not something I'd wish on anyone!

Wow...really? I didn't know this, and we've been giving them cooked [chicken and pork and beef] bones all along. Thanks for the heads up, I'll mention this to my BF in the morning. Our youngest has a vet appointment coming up, and I'll try to get some confirmation from her as well. Both dogs have had health problems, and I wouldn't want ANYTHING else to happen to my babies!

I have. Sometimes It was a permanent thing depending on the dog's digestive problems. Other times for several days, when the dog had something particular bothering him or her, the vet said to boil lean ground beef (drain all the fat off) and mix it with cooked rice or pasta. It's supposed to be soothing yet give them protein while they're getting better.

To do it regularly as the dog's diet, I'd have to really research it. with the worry about recalled food and additives, I'll bet more and more people will be cooking their dog or cat's meals.

As I was tring to write a responce last night I was interupted by the little guy yacking up at least 2 days of undigested kibble:sad:. I have to find something and maybe very little kibble everyday and more home cooked meals. boo this sucks

I have been wary about giving canned food since the recall early this year. I was feeding my baby the oatmeal and rice puppy formula from Natural Choice...:crybaby: The recalled serial number matched all the cans I had at home.
Before the recall, she vomitted and had bad diarrhea for a week! She also peed a lot. I thought she just a stomach virus and planned on taking her to the vet when the symptoms suddenly stopped...I continued giving her the food, unaware of it all...and then the recall happened and I FREAKED! I was so lucky that she didn't die, how could I have not taken her to the vet...why didn't I just stop giving her the food...there was no way to know then...but she is a tough baby, somehow she became immune to the tainted food because she never ate too much at one time.

I give her dry food now, mixed in with raw and cooked vegetables. She loves carrots, potatos, avocados. She also loves fruits. I don't give her beef, sometimes I boil chicken for her, unseasoned of course.
:P

Wow...really? I didn't know this, and we've been giving them cooked [chicken and pork and beef] bones all along. Thanks for the heads up, I'll mention this to my BF in the morning. Our youngest has a vet appointment coming up, and I'll try to get some confirmation from her as well. Both dogs have had health problems, and I wouldn't want ANYTHING else to happen to my babies!

My grandparents are incredibly stubborn and still feed bones to their little pekingnese, even after their pug DIED choking a bone. :Push:Unbelievable, they say it's because he was old..forget the fact he vomitted up whole chicken leg bones.

Vets always say to not give pets bones, or "people food"...seasoned food to be exact because of sensitive stomachs and skin allergies. So even if you give your dogs just the meat from takeout/restaurant food, it's still not good for them because of those spices and heavy salt.

I am really scared about what I feed him from the store also, as my parents suddenly lost their beloved English Cocker a week before the recall happened and he was also eatting food from the recall list. My mom is bent that I feed him a natural diet now, she always goes back to their dogs on the farm how they ate oatmeal and veggies and ground cooked meat and they were never sick and lived to very old ages. Granted she is now very scared because of losing their dog but it really is good logic. The fact that he has a sensitive stomach just makes even more of a case for it.

Our boxer has no prob w/ regular dog food...kibble w/ a can of lamb and rice or beef and veggies poured over it.

I know a lot of people will get onto me for this but...every Sunday morning I get up and cook a spread for my Hub and Gal....and that dog cries and cries until I fix him a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit. He LOVES them. He only gets one and it's the ony 'people food' he gets....and I can't resist his face. hehe

We don't 'cook' per say for our dog or our cats..and we don't have enough time to do a full raw diet so this is an in-between solution.

We use Honest Kitchen (http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/index.shtml) for both the dog and the cats. It is dehydrated human grade foods (several formulas for life stages etc). So we just add warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes and serve. We add fresh fish for the cats a few times a week, and we add fresh chicken or Primal (http://www.primalpetfoods.com/) add ins for the dog.

Once we switched to the Honest Kitchen foods (we tried with the cats a few years ago and haven't looked back) One of my cat's asthma got much much better, and they all are now more healthy and get rave reviews from the vets (and my obese cat lost the weight we'd been trying to lose for 7 years).

I highly recommend it. We started our Great Dane puppy on it the second we brought her home and she's in tip top form.