Do you believe SA's when they quote availability.....

^^If I may add, BV's special order criteria have become much much more restricted since this thread discussion took place back in 2007, and now basically the leather has to be upgraded (read exotic) for the SO to be considered for approval even the particular colour dye is still available.

Ink seems to be a very popular colour and there is a possibility (though I have no insider info or anything) they bring it back for the next season(s), like they did for Ottone and Ferro. However, to me both colours in their second season were slightly different from the original season, probably due to the nature of dye mix and/or leather batches, and there is no guarantee the colour will have exactly the same intricate nuance.

I would go for it if the colour/style is perfect for me. I don't necessarily "believe" when I am told "this is the very last one" though.:smile:

last year an SA told me there was only one marshmellow cabat left and she had it in an attempt to sell me. luckily i have a great source for information and the cabat was not the last (and i never ended up buying one). however, i was so turned off by being lied to as part of a sell i don't even like going into that store anymore.

I think there is definitely a difference between a SA saying that something is almost sold out in order to get a sale... and a trusted SA searching the system to find out the availability of a particular item and reporting back the results. So whether I believe it or not depends on the source.

^^ thanks for the information and thoughts. i didn't feel at the time that the SA was pressuring me with this information to make the sale. i was more wondering if it would really be the final stock as i feel the fall season is still ongoing (please correct me if i'm wrong since i know fashion seasons differ from real time seasons).

this is the same SA that told me that they didn't make ink in the large veneta, which from reading the forum, i know is inaccurate so i just wanted to check on her statement.

^sometimes pieces do sell out quite fast, e.g. Moon Cabat. The US boutiques sold out of the quantity bought for the US market, but they have been transferring in some from overseas.

just for reference, the bag that triggered this whole thing is the medium veneta in ink. the SA told me there are only 2 left in the whole company and would definitely not be available during sale time.

^^ thanks for the information and thoughts. i didn't feel at the time that the SA was pressuring me with this information to make the sale. i was more wondering if it would really be the final stock as i feel the fall season is still ongoing (please correct me if i'm wrong since i know fashion seasons differ from real time seasons).

this is the same SA that told me that they didn't make ink in the large veneta, which from reading the forum, i know is inaccurate so i just wanted to check on her statement.

If your SA is at a BV boutique, and she checked the US inventory of the US boutiques (which is what I understood your comment about only 2 being left "in the company"), then I really think that is all there is for the season. My understanding is that they produce them, ship them to the boutiques, and that's really it for the season.

The recent trend by BV is that the US seasonal inventory is a lot lower, generally, with the aim of selling every piece at full price, and not have many seasonal bags make it to the sale season. So I am not at all surprised that there are bags that are already sold out or almost sold out. Short of your SA doing a worldwide search for another ink Veneta and having it shipped to her store, I wouldn't expect any more to be coming, though you could ask your SA to keep you in mind if one should come into the US inventory.

All this might be different for department stores like Saks, Neiman's, etc. Their own buyers make their own buying/inventory decisions. They might have purchased the large ink Veneta to stock their shelves (I'm not sure about ink, but I know Neiman's carried the crimson large Veneta, while BV boutiques only carried the maxi Veneta in crimson). If large Venetas exist at the department stores, you might well find one on sale later in the season, but a BV boutique SA would have no information on that.

I might be wrong about this, but my understanding is that the large ink Veneta was never available in the United States BV boutiques. :shrugs: Whether that is so because they were never produced, or because they were simply not ordered from Italy by the buyer for the United States boutiques, I am not sure. I haven't been following this color much, so I don't know the details, but I think I recall some tPFers in the US being disappointed by the ink large Veneta not being available here. If you've seen reference to it on tPF, it might have been offered in other worldwide markets, or it might be available in North America via department stores or other resellers. Or, again, I could be completely wrong about this.

I'm not an expert on any of this, by the way. This is just what I've learned from my own experiences with my trusted BV SAs, who have served me well.

You are absolutely correct....in the boutiques the computer only has access to store stock levels in the U.S. There are no tools to help research inventory elsewhere - even in wholesale markets like department stores.

It has been my experience that the SAs at the BV boutiques are able to give you a view of the country's overall inventory. What they cannot tell you are stocks held at department stores, other 3rd party online retail sites and BV boutiques from other countries. As blueiris & the others pointed out "company" here is BV within that specific country and not BV boutiques worldwide.

Inventory is a function of what each country's buyer decides to pick up for a season so it is perfectly normal to see certain bags only available in certain regions. Case in point, Large Ink Veneta - this is readily available in Asia even to this day and is not sold out alongside its other "inky" counterparts (Cabat, etc). Another bag that is not sold out in this part of the world is the Moon Cabat. While there's not a lot to begin with, it is not impossible to find one.

And then you have the Mini Bottle Cabat - apparently only seen in HK so far and none in Hawaii (the latter not bringing the inventory in the first place). There might be other Asian countries that have this and maybe parts of Europe but the point is, it is easier for BV boutiques to move inventories within boutiques located in the same country vs. across diff. countries. They wouldn't normally do the latter unless you've committed and confirmed that you want to buy it and they can try to snag it for you. The caveat of course is that it has to be sold out or not brought in that country before they look to other BV worldwide locations. Plus the operative word is "try". Some of the lovely, hardworking SA's will do that for you especially if you've been working with them for a while. We should bear in mind that this is not a standard service they offer to everyone since it is a manual and offline process plus it is quite tedious (and costly) to phone diff. countries to hunt for a bag.