do u wish tt u r never born?

do u ever wish tt u are not born to this world?

• Nope, never.

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
You know, sometimes its natural to people to think that they might not want to have been born, this could be when theyre having a bad day or whatever, but eventually I think everyone has their reason and would never reneg on their choice of being born. I dont have kids, but most people find that when they become parents they have found their reason to live. I cant wait to have kids to experience this, but even before that I am very content with my life etc, no matter how depressing things get at times...

We all have someone who would be sad if we weren't here. I am 1000% happy to be here! If you aren't, you need to find someone to love...then it all comes around. I believe that is why we are here...to love others. They may not love us back, but that's not the point, I don't think.

I'm glad the thread has developed the way it has. I think the OP's post was a veiled question about abortion, which could get to be a pretty messy debate (if, indeed, it would even be allowed).

Regardless, a very slim minority would wish not to be born because humans by nature fear the unknown. What, if anything, is before birth and what, if anything, comes after death remains unknown and therefore not as desirable as the here and now.

thanks, HauteMama. No, the thread is not on abortion at all. Didn't have that in mind when I asked the question. Wishing not to be born is different from taking a life away... that is how I feel.

I agree with Kiss Me Deadly that at times such thoughts do cross my mind esp when I was down or moody. But when I am in my positive mood, all bad things look more managable. :smile:

sorry about the short form used in the original post... which triggered off minor irritations from some of us here.

YES! I say we start a campaign to Save the Written Word or "STWW" for short.....:roflmfao:

:roflmfao:

On another note, I love my life. It's not perfect by any means but I would never wish that I had not been born. I have had to go through much more than a typical 25 year old having had cancer 2 years ago but I am so thankful everyday to still be alive. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Everyone goes through difficult times. That's life. I believe that we are not given any we cannot handle. And everything that I experienced whether it was good or bad, I have learned from it.

What a great question!

Of course it is easy from the perspective of having not only been born, but having lived and come to love life, other people, etc to immediately declare that we are delighted to be here. :smile:

What is more thought-provoking, though is to try to approach the question from a different point of view - aside from those personal considerations, how do we feel about it on a purely hypothetical level?

That's where it can get harder to answer. Obviously, if we happen to have single-handedly cured hunger, war, disease or something, we might feel like it would be a bit selfish to say, well, no, I wish humans still had all those things, and I had never had to bother with things like root canals or getting up in the morning, especially in winter when it's cold out and I have a cold.

But for most of us, what are the real advantages? How exactly is the world a better place because we are in it? And remember, we are talking about aside from those personal aspects like oh I never would have known my spouse, had my wonderful children, etc etc.

Although, for many of us, it is not easy to remove ourselves from that, although that too can be complicated. Some of us might reflect on what our mothers' lives might have been, had we not been born, and if we are honest, no matter how much she might insist that we are the most marvelous thing that ever happened to her, might she, depending on her circumstances, perhaps have felt that completing her education, maybe achieving a youthful career dream, might have been pretty marvelous, too?

And, as others have pointed out, how, or whether, we even feel comfortable thinking about the subject may be influenced by our cultural/faith traditions, whether the situation of the world today is something we feel good about - over half the world's children, for instance, don't have a childhood. Some people think that's as it should be, and others might not share that enthusiasm.

Of course, just because we might not feel that we can claim that our very existence has made the world an inherently better place, by the same token, it would be hard for most of us to make a creditable argument that our species would have achieved a significantly larger measure of evolution had we NOT been born! I mean, most of us are not politicians. Or even lawyers. :smile:

So probably the most reasonable answer is that when you look at the big picture, and consider, as previous posters have reminded us, that it is not exactly like we went through some sort of application process, with interviews and essay questions, as intriguing an exercise as it is to contemplate the issue, in the cosmic sense, our opinion on the subject matters less than our existence!

When I was a teenage drama queen I frequently announced that I wished I'd never been born. Now I mostly wish many other people had never been born, but I'm fine with me being here.

Humans by nature fear the unknown. What, if anything, is before birth and what, if anything, comes after death remains unknown and therefore not as desirable as the here and now.

I completely agree, well said. I'm fascinated about the unknown only out of interests sake, but if I had the choice I would still want to be in the world of the living. There's plently of time to explore that unknown (or not) after this life, I figure I'm not going to be here forever so I might as well play the living game.:yes:

Isn't the term STWW a bit counterproductive??

Anyhow...no, I never have wished I wasn't born. The world would be much more boring without me, and I would have never registered here and therefore not have been able to spread the love and joy that is my written word.

Rejoice people, for I am alive!!