Do All Asian Women Prefer Expensive Bags? If so, Why???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could rest my case just by pointing out what's on your wishlist. :graucho:

You are right; this want of high-end designer bags goes beyond the asian community. But as I mentioned in my original post, nearly EVERY asian woman I know or encountered carried high-end bags. And this observation isn't just based on a few. What I've addressed is mutually exclusive. And having lived past the half century mark, I've been around the block a few times to notice the same thing more than once.

Nearly every white, black, indian, russian, british, australian, etc etc etc woman I know or encountered carries a high-end bag. It's where I live, and its what I notice. At least 6-7 out of ten women (and men!) carry a high-end bag. Are you sure your information isn't a bit skewed?

I am not asian, but I am over 50 and I still love high end bags, shoes, clothes and cars! Just because we get older does not mean we have to give up the good stuff, LOL!

Kudos to you . . . I'm not asking that any of you give up the good stuff. The question is: Why does it need to be the high-end products (bags, from what I've noticed). There's lots of good stuff that don't cost as much.

BTW, I'm over 50 as well, so the age thing isn't going to justify anything for me.

High end bags are a status symbol in many countries, including some asian countries. I dont think you are going to get a more specific answer than that...status is important in every culture, high end bags are a symbol of wealth.

^Agreed. Actually I was just thinking about it, and a vast, no, HUGE percentage of the Korean population at my school wear designer bags. I think that's a really big thing with them; so many of the Asians you're thinking of could possibly be Koreans (not that there's anything wrong with it). I find many of them very designer-conscious.

Thanks for your input, but I'm aware of which people are Korean. I'm Japanese & Chinese myself; and have had plenty exposure to asians from all parts of the world.

Agreed; there's nothing wrong with being designer conscious. I'm just wondering why they are.

^Maybe it's your community? I can tell you that all my close Asian friends in college don't care a thing about designer handbags. If your mother shares this mindset and you appreciate it from her, then isn't it all good? I'm sure you have seen many Asians out there who do in fact fall into your stereotype, but I will also assure you that the ones you encountered account account for but a tiny fraction of the whole of Asian population on the globe.

Yes, considering that there are many people in this ethnicity that you've targeted who are below the poverty line. Meaning, they can't afford decent food or shelter, yet they live on what they have. I mean, 20% of the world's population has 80% of the worlds wealth - so how can you say that it isn't just class (and where the status that the person grew up) that determines this?

^^^I see. I'm not sure if I or anyone else can help with your curiosity though; just because I or anyone who is Asian is that part of the ethnicity group, no one can account for all Asian's behavior. In short, I don't think anyone will ever know.

I am Asian and I love well-made bags, designer or non-designer. I hate Logos such as the LV Monogram. But I love high end, high quality designer bags, and most of them come in leather and not plastic/vinyl or any synthetic material for that matter. I have one LV--the Suhali Lockit PM in black. Still recognizeably LV through its construction but it does not SCREAM LV. I only have a few bags, and they are quite pricey. But I rationalize by thinking of cost per wear. I mean, what good is a $50 dollar vinyl bag which will break after 1 month of heavy use? When I can have a $900 bag that can last for 5 or more years of heavy use? In this case, what comes out cheaper? I'd go with the $900 bag.

Asians, particularly Japanese, love LV. 40% of the population there is an LV fan. And I believe the reason why Asians can afford Luxury Goods in general is because most of us (not all) stay with our parents till we get married. Imagine this, if you are a working single woman 22-35 years old (The age bracket obsessed with Luxury goods) and you still live with your parents but have a high paying job, your cost of living is low. Thus, its easer for you to afford luxury goods.

I am a single enterpreneur with above average income. At 23, I still live with my parents. Although I contribute in the household expenses, and give a fraction of what I earn, it's still cheaper than living alone. Thus I seem to afford LV, Fendi and Balenciaga easier than my totally independent Western counterparts.

I almost think this phenomenon has more to do with the younger generation born into an emergence of a global economy, the rise of credit, etc. than any nationality really...many of the people from my country that I know do not carry designer bags. I am inclined to say that they will not even know what bag you're carrying or how much it is if you don't tell them.

^^I don't know, I know many Asians who don't live with their parents, straight out of college, and I have Caucasian friends that live with their parents harmoniously. Almost nothing can be generalized nowadays...Do only the very rich buy expensive things anymore? No. Does having expensive goods mean that you're rich? Also a no.

no, not all. that's a generalization akin to saying that all african americans love rap music. there are always exceptions.

i prefer designer bags because, foremost, i find the designs generally more appealing than, say, a generic bag from h&m. the quality is better (although not always). luxury/self-indulgence and status must be mixed in there somewhere because if i didn't care about those things at all, then i'm sure i could enjoy comparable bags for a much lesser price (i.e. botkier or kooba instead of marc jacobs and chanel). goes to show how marketing is highly effective on both a conscious and subconcious level. anyway, that's another discussion.

i've read numerous articles on how asia partcularly japan and china is a dominant demographic in luxury sales due to the emerging middle class. many associate brands like lv, gucci, and prada with beauty, status, wealth, and even power. marketing! well, who doesn't want to be all those things, so they buy a part of the dream. many japanese women still live at home. with virtually little to no living costs, much of their disposable income goes towards high fashion consumerism. asian society often fosters a stronger sense of conformity, so if all your friends own a flap and speedy, you're going to do all you can to get your hands on one too lest you be different or feel left out. i also want to mention fetishisation of western culture, but this post is already too long. that's my general analysis.

Again, if you looked at my original post, you will see that I'm trying to avoid generalization in making my observation known. And my question was one that arose from just that . . . many, many years of observation.

My mother lived in Japan long before the "emerging middle class" you describe even began to occur. In fact, she came from a wealthy family; yet didn't feel the need to have any of the luxuries so far discussed.

You stated " ... many associate brands like lv, gucci, and prada with beauty, status, wealth, and even power. marketing! well, who doesn't want to be all those things ..." My answer is "that if you are self-confident, believe in yourself, and have a strong sense of self-worth, who cares about all those things?

Status
Not open for further replies.