Disposing of an estate

Thanks for all of the support and suggestions. Right now I'm feeling as if the jewelry is a burden, but maybe I'll just put it away and deal with it sometime in the future. It's not as if it takes up that much room. It's just that looking at it somehow makes me very sad and I can't ever imagine wearing it. But I don't even wear my own engagement ring; I'm not that into jewelry.

And jag, Boos Gallery and auctions was one of the few decent auctions in our area. The owner, Frank Boos, died in May and it's not clear if the business is continuing. It'll be sad to lose a nice venue like that. Auctions are fun.

Marly said:
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I would suggest to ask other family members if they are interested in having the pieces that you don't want to keep.
This is good advice. I have been collecting for my children. I want to offer them beautiful things from my heart, if one doesn't want something; I hope they will offer it to another. I understand your situation; I can only speak from my own heart and what I am trying to do at this moment. If my children need money, then, I hope to leave things for them which can be sold to take care of their needs, but, if they are not in need, then I hope they will offer my things to someone who will feel happy to have it in remembrance of me, since I acquire things with them in mind.

It was a lot of work....but it was actually a good cathartic thing for everyone....weekends were spent poring through photo albums remembering good times. I had only known her for around 2 years and we were just starting to get along when she passed (I "stole" her baby boy...my hubby was the youngest of the 5 boys - and therefore her baby) so I didn't know her very well....but surprisingly really got to know her through her antiques and pictures and such.