Disastrous Week - Flood, Advice please

Ive had a disastrous week, tube broke in the laundry area and flooded the house! Past few days insurance people, adjusters, estimators, and cleaning people have been ripping carpet and floors, cleaning and bagging and quarantined the south part of the house. Everything is basically outside in the 90 degree sun! Then yesterday, they found MOLD in th laundry part if the house affecting 4 rooms!

For anyone who had mold problems, does anyone know a good company who treats mold, effectively with a great price. They quoted me $7,000! (insurance does not cover it) Or treating mold myself, will post pics later on tonight.

hey chanelchick, YEEKS sorry to hear about the flood! definitely not fun.

I don't have any info on treating mold but all i can say is that mold is very very harmful to your health so as much as it hurts, you should spend the money and treat any and every part of the house. mold can cause alot of health problems. change carpets, sofas and whatever you need to to get rid of the mold. they spread easily so keep on checking even after you get the house treated.

good luck! *hugs*

I would have the mold tested, and see if it's the type that can be very harmful to your health or if you can treat it yourself. Environmental firms do this. I've had to have it done myself when my neighbor flooded his condo and it did water damage to my unit.

Wow, I am so sorry that happened it sucks. But hopefully you'll be able to get it done cheaper if you look around or even ask if they can lower the price you'd be amazed at what they do if you just ask.

Are you sure your insurance won't cover it? I don't know of a nation wide company, maybe if you post your location someone might be able to help you.
We had a pipe break while on vacation. We ended up getting mold, 4 different kinds.
Certain kinds of mold are very toxic. This is not something you should do yourself. You mentioned posting pictures, is the wall opened up & you can see the mold?

I don't think I would mess with this myself. Mold grows fast so the quicker you get someone out there the less it will spread. I also question your insurance policy. The mold is caused by a water leak so I think maybe there is some way it should be covered. I mean it is not some roof leak that has sat there for a year and mold is growing all over. It was a damage reported immediately.
Most insurance policies do not cover mold but I had a rider put on my policy that cost something like $100.00 and it covers a high amount of mold damage. So this is something you might want to add, most people do not even know you can get it, I am not sure if most insurance companies offer it but I asked for it.
Good luck.

100_1347.jpg

100_1348.jpg

100_1349.jpg

100_1350.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1352.jpg

100_1354.jpg

100_1356.jpg

Get it tested to determine whether you can treat it or whether you need to replace the drywall. If you have a Realtor, call him/her for a referral. If you have an AmeriSpec near you, call them for an analysis.