Dark Neck..totally embarassing...

My sister has this same problem. The skin condition is more common in those who are Mexican. My sister is a quarter Mexican and our doctor has said that it is genetic. She suggested simple, over the counter fading creams. My sister gave up on them because of the smell. I'm sure that there are better creams out there.

if you're talking about your neck being a darker color than the rest of you in general (not like spots or anything) then I would recommend going to a doctor. My sister had something like this and the doctor said she was at risk for diabetes and this was a warning sign. I'm not a doctor so I very well could be wrong and everybody is different but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

It could be acanthosis nigricans, a dark, velvety hyperpigmentation. It's often in skin folds, like the neck, armpits, groin. It's usually due to excess insulin or insulin resistance, which can be from type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovaries, or obesity. There are other causes though, like genetics or certain medications. The scariest is that it can be a sign of cancer, especially if you're 40 or older, so make sure to get it checked.

Here is the Wiki link if you want to read up on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthosis_nigricans

It could be acanthosis nigricans, a dark, velvety hyperpigmentation. It's often in skin folds, like the neck, armpits, groin. It's usually due to excess insulin or insulin resistance, which can be from type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovaries, or obesity. There are other causes though, like genetics or certain medications. The scariest is that it can be a sign of cancer, especially if you're 40 or older, so make sure to get it checked.

Thanks for this info, it all makes sense now with my sister. I was really surprised bc she's such a healthy girl, but the polycystic ovaries thing cleared it up for me. Thanks!

Oh man, my very old thread just popped back up!!!!

Since 2007 when i started this thread, I turned to 2 things: Likas Papaya Soap(A PF member messaged me way back then and told me about this soap, THANK YOU!) and it has helped A LOT. I mean A LOOOOTTTT. And then I also used Palmer's FADE cream too.

Hope this thread can help some other people out. =)

I found out about this by googling a while ago. :wondering It worried me a bit when I first read it..but then just put it in the back of my mind and forgot about it until now that you mentioned it.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I have this in my underarms and I absolutely hate it. Thank heavens I only have it there where it is easily, though in the summer particularly, annoyingly, hideable. I don't have diabetes and my derm says it may or may not lighten with weight loss. I am really hoping it will lighten as the weight comes off.

Since 2007 when i started this thread, I turned to 2 things: Likas Papaya Soap(A PF member messaged me way back then and told me about this soap, THANK YOU!) and it has helped A LOT. I mean A LOOOOTTTT. And then I also used Palmer's FADE cream too.

I didn't realize this was a really old thread - need to read more closely. I will look for these two items. Can you tell me where you found them? Thanks.

ETA - I just found the soap on ebay and man is it expensive, shipping is crazy as well. I see that this soap is a Filipino skin lightening product. Some time back I ordered a Filipino skin lightening cream from ebay for this problem but it didn't make any difference at all. I'm willing to give this soap a try though as this problem is so incredibly embarrassing.

Last edited:
As Joanna said, if it doesn't contain hydroquinone, it won't do a thing. You may need a prescription to get a product with a stronger amount of at least 4%. Over the counter has only 2% hydroquinone, although that may work. I do think you should try it.

this is very true, especially for women of color you need at least 4%

Where can I find the Likas Papaya Soap? Do you know any place where I can get it online?

Where can I find the Likas Papaya Soap? Do you know any place where I can get it online?

I dont know where else besides ebay.

But! I will tell u guys this...

I went back to the store where i got it locally since im almost running out. THEY JACKED THE PRICE UP to $6 a bar! Before I only paid like $2.5 for it! :shocked: I held off on buying it since i'm still safe for now.

Its not even that expensive in the Philippines.

A friend of mine has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom (sorry if I spelled that wrong) and this was one of the symptoms. You should have your doctor give you a check up to rule out any hormonal problems.