Workplace coworkers baby shower - gift amount?

ncch

O.G.
Feb 18, 2012
hello,

I've been invited to a coworkers baby shower (on the same team of 4 people). i just started this month and the baby shower is next month. i don't know her very well but i work with her on a daily basis and a few of the girls at the office are going so i'll probably go too.

I'm not sure how much i should spend on the gift? i don't want to spend too much but don't want to look cheap either. how much is appropriate for a coworker?

also, we are ny so none of us have cars and this shower is in Connecticut so we'll probably end up renting a car to go. think it might end up being cheaper than train..

any advice is appreciated. thanks.

hello,

I've been invited to a coworkers baby shower (on the same team of 4 people). i just started this month and the baby shower is next month. i don't know her very well but i work with her on a daily basis and a few of the girls at the office are going so i'll probably go too.

I'm not sure how much i should spend on the gift? i don't want to spend too much but don't want to look cheap either. how much is appropriate for a coworker?

also, we are ny so none of us have cars and this shower is in Connecticut so we'll probably end up renting a car to go. think it might end up being cheaper than train..

any advice is appreciated. thanks.
I wouldn't spend much at all on a coworker I barely knew--probably less than $25. Does she have a registry? Or ask the other co-workers if they are chipping in on a joint present and see if you're comfortable with that amount? I would feel guilty if someone I barely knew spent much money on me.

Reactions: Bag*Snob
thanks for your replies!

she does have a registry - i just wanted to know whats kind of standard. i guess around $25 is ok? its harder because I'm not a huge fan of her so far.. i will ask some of the other girls when i see them.

thanks for your replies!

she does have a registry - i just wanted to know whats kind of standard. i guess around $25 is ok? its harder because I'm not a huge fan of her so far.. i will ask some of the other girls when i see them.

Do you really have to go? You're new to the company, you barely know her, it sounds like you don't even really like her that much, and it's out of town.. can you make an excuse about something else you have to do that week??

I had been working at a previous job for less than a month and someone had a bridal shower. I was asked if I wanted to be part of it and contribute to a gift, I think I gave around $20 for the gift and didn't go to the shower. No one even gave it a second thought that I didn't go, especially because I didn't even know her.

ask about a group gift and chip in there, it'd be weird to give her a gift card or present since you barely know her. i wouldn't expect one from a newbie and just going would show you are friendly. too early for giving mo, and it sets a bad precedent... one that you're always going to give/chip in, etc. you gotta set those giving boundaries early in a new office situation or you'll be hit up for everyone's b-day/shower/anniversary, etc. and find that you're contributing often and too much. this will come up a lot so handle it the way you want to be handling it from now on.

I'd ask if they're doing a group gift and if so chip in. If not the max I'd do would be $20-25 for a gift. Probably as a target or a baby's r us gift card so it can be used for whatever she sees fit. Especially since you don't even know her all that well. And by the sound of it your not a big fan of her so why waste your time buying a thoughtful gift.

As far as getting there you can always car pool with other coworkers and reduce the cost of commuting that way. Or if you really don't feel up to it don't go and use the lack of transportation as the reason why. Give her the gift/gift card the day of the party if it's on a work day or two day before if it's on a day off and call it a day. This way you don't look like your snubbing her or being anti social by not going. And she still received a gift so she can't be too bitter about you not going.

Ultimately for me it would boil down to the politics at your work. And debating what's the minimum I can do without dealing with petty backlash. I've not gone to a few coworkers bridal showers and baby showers. Typically they are held on days I work and can't get off easily(weekends). And I've given them gifts or the coworker who's running the shower the gift so they can receive it at the party.

I also wanted to add that if you do end up going and paying for commuting by yourself and you couldn't car pool and chip in for gas, I'd probably reduce the amount of money spent on my gift. I know it sounds stingy but this adds up fast if you spend $25 on a gift, then rent a car add in gas, and then pay for your food you could be looking at close to $100+. On top of the time and energy your taking out of your personal life for this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app

Last edited: