Copy Birkins in UK Magazine..

You know what? I don't find it all that awful.
I don't really have anything against people who would like the look but cannot afford it, as long as they don't pretend to have the real thing.

I don't know who it was but it was on this forum, a while ago, who wrote of her mother who had great style but could only afford 'lookalike' or 'inspired' bags. I found this somehow very touching.

Now everybody knows that I don't condone FAKES at all. AT ALL. But heck, if someone likes the look, and decides to get an inspired bag - why not? And it is the job of magazines like this to find low budget alternatives to high-end products, I see it all the time with make-up and clothes.

Somehow this doesn't give me a headache....

ita

i would rather carry a fake than make anyone feel bad for carrying a fake (though happily, no one in this thread seems to do either one). one shows a low budget and one shows low class.
when i see fake brands for sale, knock-offs, look-a-likes, it only makes me feel one thing: very very fortunate to have the authentic items i enjoy and value.

relax ladies. not everyone can afford an hermes bag so theres other options to owning one that looks "similar" so this becomes their last resort:oh: i think they are trying to get that message across. vanilla probably paid them to advertise it on their magazine also. lots of magazines (life&style, us weekly, in touch, star) does the same thing.

You know what? I don't find it all that awful.
I don't really have anything against people who would like the look but cannot afford it, as long as they don't pretend to have the real thing.

I don't know who it was but it was on this forum, a while ago, who wrote of her mother who had great style but could only afford 'lookalike' or 'inspired' bags. I found this somehow very touching.

Now everybody knows that I don't condone FAKES at all. AT ALL. But heck, if someone likes the look, and decides to get an inspired bag - why not? And it is the job of magazines like this to find low budget alternatives to high-end products, I see it all the time with make-up and clothes.

Somehow this doesn't give me a headache....

i agree with you 100%

I guess if Hermes is NOT suing them, they must fall within the 'inspired' description and therefore there is nothing wrong with selling them. It is confusing why H sued the Jellybag manufacturers, I wonder if they had the Hermes trademark on them?

Rose,

Ironically enough, Hermes can sue for a design it didn't produce because the bad design hurts the reputation of the brand, but can't sue for copies of bags it does produce because the designs are in the public domain as long as the bags are clearly labeled as the product of the company that makes them.

That isn't an entirely satisfactory rule, I know.

lol, so they can sue for bad imitations that can hurt their reputation, I guess a jelly kelly would fall into that category.... what about a kelly cookie or kelly cake? I guess as long as they are totally delicious it's ok. Stick an errant raisin in and there will be trouble??

Ignore these ramblings, I am celebrating Princess B's safe arrival in Australia (things got a bit hairy in Paris when her papers went missing:shocked:) with a bottle of champagne.