Confused about priorities

oh wow, just lovely responses. I'm drooling just thinking of the potential.. well had the talk with dh after i surfed pricescope and considering all the things we want to achieve this next year or so (fix up garden, trip to hawaii) he has sent me off to work out the following:

1. work out cost/scope of redesigning old e-ring, that is, use the diamonds in another design (still retaining some sentimental value that way) and therefore have more money for diamond studs.

2. try on different new styles of e-ring and see what suits.

3. like someone suggested, get maybe a wedder with an eternity band, nice and elegant, and use the birthday money for studs and/or watch.

dh is being very generous and understanding, gotta give him that much. he agrees that it is a special birthday and wants me to have what i want, wants it to be meaningful and long-lasting but not at the expense of having to rob a bank to get me said gift.

i hardly slept last nite as i want to be sure of making the right decision, for both of us....:sweatdrop:

your right littlesharon, a watch is still gonna cost less and i do wear watches as jewellery, i like to change them, so i have no problem spending money on a high-end watch. i see this item as a hand-me-down as well. even though im a big day dreamer, reality quickly sets in and dh has been great in allowing me to go off on tangents but i had to seriously ask him to bring me back to earth. who am i kidding? i can't have everything now.....we are talking serious $.

couturequeen, i agree about the diamond eternity band as well. just to give a clearer picture, my old e-ring is set in a victorian setting with filigree and there are 5 diamonds going across and they are tiny tiny tiny. so i don't think they would look nice in a pendant setting. at the time, it looked pretty (on my old slender hands) and most everybody was doing this kinda ring, but i've evolved now into a greedy, shallow, bling hungry woman! :crybaby:

your right littlesharon, a watch is still gonna cost less and i do wear watches as jewellery, i like to change them, so i have no problem spending money on a high-end watch. i see this item as a hand-me-down as well. even though im a big day dreamer, reality quickly sets in and dh has been great in allowing me to go off on tangents but i had to seriously ask him to bring me back to earth. who am i kidding? i can't have everything now.....we are talking serious $.

I know, and even with a big budget, you still wont get everything, and you will want to get the best combination for your $!!!!

couturequeen, i agree about the diamond eternity band as well. just to give a clearer picture, my old e-ring is set in a victorian setting with filigree and there are 5 diamonds going across and they are tiny tiny tiny. so i don't think they would look nice in a pendant setting. at the time, it looked pretty (on my old slender hands) and most everybody was doing this kinda ring, but i've evolved now into a greedy, shallow, bling hungry woman! :crybaby:

Thats exactly me, really shallow and greedy!!!!. Thats why I bought a few fakies of the big c. type. I have 4 c. of studs, and a 2 c. rhr.....that I just wear for road testing purposes. So far its working because I didnt have to lay out over 100 grand. and Im getting my bling fix, and I can consintrate on what I really want to buy while Im not totally desperate for `something`!!!!

But, one thing I must admit I did, and that took up some decent bling $, was get my teeth fixed. So I guess I cant be too greedy. At the time I decided nice teeth were more important than a flashy ring....now I want both of course!!!!

yeah i want nice teeth,smaller breasts,long legs,jlo's behind, and halle berry's body but that's not gonna happen in a hurry so i'm gonna concentrate on the things that can make me happy in an instant, my dh,kids,yummy food, bling,makeup,bags,shoes.....

yeah i want nice teeth,smaller breasts,long legs,jlo's behind, and halle berry's body but that's not gonna happen in a hurry so i'm gonna concentrate on the things that can make me happy in an instant, my dh,kids,yummy food, bling,makeup,bags,shoes.....

Yes......Im in for all of the above, plus some!!!!!

But thats a whole different board isnt it!!!! :crybaby:

And, you`re right `instant` really hits the spot, so I think thats the way to go. Especially your kids....and yummy food....2 things I live for!!!!

Please keep us up to date with your progress as its always fun to get the inside scoop!!!!

i would upgrade the engagement and wedding ring. don't waste money on designer jewelry (unless it's an occasional piece where you absolutely fall in love with a design). i think it's better to get a great quality stone and ring from a reputable jeweler, than a couple of designer pieces that are overpriced just so everyone can see you got a cartier/bulgari/van cleef... who wants to have 'it' jewelry? i'd rather go for something unique made specially for me.

I SOOOOOOOOO agree!! To be honest i have been very surprised (more so than the multi thousand dollar bags lol) on tpf at how many go for designer e-rings and more. I do not mean this against anyone and believe me if i had $ for it i just love Tacori lol but for those of us with $ as a concern i would so rather put the extra either into a bigger or higher quality stone or both or just into more pieces for my jewelry wardrobe. I also like things i design so i'm not at all ashamed that i bought my new setting pre "loved" lol There was a graduate GIA gemologist on site to appraise and i got way bigger and more side stone weight and much heavier plat. than i could have afforded.
But again i know ymmv, i just find that even if one is against used (i figure they clean it good and the stones are millions of years old either way lol) going the non designer route you get so much more for so much less$.

I think this is excellent advice, especially if there is not enough budget to go the whole er upgrade, which is the most expensive option.

So this way, you still end up with a blingy new ring for fun and sparkle, make sure the diamonds are firey! And get a watch that screams `amazing`....something that will last for the next decade at least.

If she shops around there are deals to be had on larger nice stones. Mine is oval and 7x9 and with 9 16 pointers it is a big loo k imho and add a slim diamind band...true i have shiort fingers...and they can't type lol partdon typos but the delete button works fine everywhere but here lolpmh

If she shops around there are deals to be had on larger nice stones. Mine is oval and 7x9 and with 9 16 pointers it is a big loo k imho and add a slim diamind band...true i have shiort fingers...and they can't type lol partdon typos but the delete button works fine everywhere but here lolpmh

So true, I guess it all boils down to what is the final budget, and what will yeild the greatest pleasure!!!

I myself cannot decide because its difficult especially if you are not used to spending large amounts on yourself!!!!

hmmm, i'd get an eternity band for a right hand ring if i were you. - that's what i wear - 4 cttw. plenty of sparkle! and get diamond studs - they are always a basic. have fun shopping!