clothes vs shoes...which is a priority?

rainyjewels

eat me
O.G.
Nov 8, 2006
I'm getting my first official corporate job out of school in July, and it's so nice to finally have an awesome income. So in preparing for it, I need to revamp my entire college-style wardrobe, but i'm dying for a pair of the CL simple pumps. i could buy the pumps and just get a few absolutely necessary pieces of clothing for work (i.e. pencil skirt, dress shirts), or i can completely revamp my entire wardrobe with sharp-looking professional wear (w/medium end clothes, like banana republic and jcrew) and just buy a pair of regular pumps (i.e. nine west).

revamp/replace entire wardrobe or an ace pair of pumps? which would you pick if you were me? :graucho:

I vote spending on the clothes... even though I don't think it's what you want to hear.

I think corporate work pieces need to look high quality and tailored. Expecially in a new job, looking polished and put together will help you advance quicker. It doesn't necessarily mean expensive clothing but expensive-looking clothing.

Once you build a professional wardrobe then go ahead and spend on the shoes. If you can put together a lot of basic pieces for work for basic prices from places like Old Navy (button downs), Club Monaso, Zara, etc. as long as they fit you well. You could also buy some nice looking silk and cotton blouses/sweater instead of cashmere, etc. You may still be able to do both.

Also, I just bought a lot of really nice work pieces at Forth and Towne. It is like a Banana Repubic that the Gap tried to put out. They only opened something like 30 stores but if you have one nearby they are closing June 15 so everything is now 50% off. I bought a lot of nice linnen, silk, tweed pieces there for work. They have good quality suits, shift dresses, skirts, pants, tops, and sweaters that would be great for building a professional wardrobe. Just letting you know so you can maybe stretch you $$$ farther and still get the shoes.

The thing is that expensive shoes will always lift cheaper clothes and they'll last you longer with some TLC.

I will gladly shop in cheaper stores such as Gap for work stuff but will never buy cheap shoes. One rule I've always stuck to is never buy cheap shoes, bags or jeans, everything else can be cheaper brands

I'd choose better clothes cause that will be the first thing someone sees - and first impressions count!

^^I agree with ZoeyZoo about getting classic, decent quality pieces that you can mix and match. That way you won't feel bored with your wardrobe.

ITA that great accessories give any outfit a lift, but when first starting out working it's good to invest in some great clothing.

Depending on how formal your office dress code is, a great jacket or blazer in a neutral, seasonless fabric is essential. Wool gabardine works for me. Also, pants in the same fabric or something that coordinates. Next, something fabulous in outerwear such as a trench or other topper. I'm from the Seattle perspective where we are prone to rain showers most of the year and I need something that looks good commuting and on the street between appointments.

actaully, I would put of the CLs for now, maybe treat yourself to them with your first paycheck or something? But I would be very careful to buy a good pair of shoes that will lift your outfit. I kknow it sounds trite but the accessories & more importantly the quality of them will make a huge difference to how your wardrobe wears.

Now, I would also buy a really good suit, wit htrousers & a skirt then buy a complimentary dress & a couple of other skirts that work with the jacket, though not a specific match. Don't rush out & buy loads of cheap stuff, buy a couple of good quality pieces that will last you & that are versatile enough to work with al lhte new additions & the nslowly build up a good work wear wardrobe.

If you're going to be standing or walking a lot at work - shoes shoes shoes. I learnt this the very, very hard way at my job since I realised that only very few pairs of shoes will not make my feet feel like they're on fire after hours and hours.

I guess you're going with the revamp wardrobe, but hopefully there'll be shoes in the future !

I say go for the clothes, because that's what people will notice first. You have a lot of choices when it comes to shoes. It isn't either cheap shoes or CL's, there are a lot of choices in between that are just as comfortable. Plus, you can get away with wearing the same shoes everyday, but not the same clothes.

I would go with clothing first (most people generally notice that first) and then with your first pay check, I'd buy a pair of the Manolo classic black pumps. You'll be able to wear them for years.

Keep in mind that you don't have to buy shoes from payless but you don't have to buy designer shoes either! Nice shoes are great, but as a whole, people will judge you more (first impression) buy your clothes, not $500 pumps.