Closet inspo please

BagLadyT

One on the way and one in the queue!
Apr 2, 2016
I’ll be moving fairly soon and I’m looking to add an organizational system into my closet. If you have a closet you’re happy with please post a pic. I’ve attached a pic of my space I’ll be working with. As you can see the previous owners only used dressers and racks. This will be cleared out. What’s not pictured is the window in the closet which I love! I’ll take pics of the after as well once complete. I’d like to complete this project by March or April. Thank you in advance!

IMG_1414.jpeg

Please make sure to add sunlight blocking window coverings; unfortunately in my previous home I had very sheer shades on my closet window and so much sun damage was done to both bags and shoes.
I didn't realize until it was too late; white/cream leather turned dark yellow and dark suede dried and faded.
I would’ve never thought about that, thank you. I’m someone that opens the blinds and windows as much as possible!

Reactions: A bottle of Red
I'd recommend you find a cabinet maker who can have everything drawn up for each wall (+3D is a bonus too), just like you would have done for a kitchen. That way it can be designed to suit your needs and the space is best utilised.
We’re fortunate to have a cabinet maker that is my husband’s client. I just need to get my ideas organized. I don’t need anything too elaborate but yes definitely will have plans drawn up. I told my husband we should just pick an IKEA system up! He did not entertain the idea…🤪

Will add my 2cents, however you do your closets be sure to protect your clothes
with either cedar/lavender, especially because you keep your windows open, JMO
Is this to deter bugs? I think for the closet I will be keeping the windows shut just the blinds open. There is another feature of the house I’m excited for, the 90 degree door. I have to say although beautiful I keep thinking of insects and birds that may possibly fly in…
IMG_1309.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg

If you're worried about birds flying into the panes of glass (which sadly happens, including glass panelled balcony 'walls', you should place stickers on every pane.

The same for anyone with mirrored outside windows/walls.

Your home looks so bright and airy I love it!
I'm not good with closet design, but one thing I wish my closet had was more adjustable space. (The previous owners built the closet)
Right now most of the shelves are fixed in place with non adjustable hanging rods above or below and I don't have a place for hanging longer dresses.

Reactions: BagLadyT
I’ll be moving fairly soon and I’m looking to add an organizational system into my closet. If you have a closet you’re happy with please post a pic. I’ve attached a pic of my space I’ll be working with. As you can see the previous owners only used dressers and racks. This will be cleared out. What’s not pictured is the window in the closet which I love! I’ll take pics of the after as well once complete. I’d like to complete this project by March or April. Thank you in advance!
Please make sure to add sunlight blocking window coverings; unfortunately in my previous home I had very sheer shades on my closet window and so much sun damage was done to both bags and shoes.
I didn't realize until it was too late; white/cream leather turned dark yellow and dark suede dried and faded.

So true. Even indirect sunlight will bleach or fade furniture, fabrics and leather. I would suggest a light-impermeable cover over your RTW. Don't forget about it though. the clothes and accessories need to be aired and 'disturbed' on a regular basis.

If you're worried about birds flying into the panes of glass (which sadly happens, including glass panelled balcony 'walls', you should place stickers on every pane.

The same for anyone with mirrored outside windows/walls.
To be honest I was thinking more of when the 90 degree door is open and the birds and bugs have a huge opening to fly in. As they should! Lol (Essentially it’s just a really big sliding door.)

Your home looks so bright and airy I love it!
I'm not good with closet design, but one thing I wish my closet had was more adjustable space. (The previous owners built the closet)
Right now most of the shelves are fixed in place with non adjustable hanging rods above or below and I don't have a place for hanging longer dresses.
Thank you! I was thinking about that. I will definitely put that on the list!

We had just wire shelving in our closet for years. Big room over the garage, but completely disorganized with shoes in boxes stacked (so when you needed the one on the bottom the whole mess fell over). Sweaters piled on wire shelves, hanging items just jammed together. Had our contractor custom build based on our measurements for linear space needed for hanging items, and drawers needed for folded stuff. Sweaters and Jeans folded on shelves. Counted shoes, and figured out how much shelving I'd need for them (hint: it's never enough!). Shelves are all adjustable. Had sloped walls on 2 sides so accounted for that with shelves for bags etc and to maximize usable space. Also added an island for temporary storage and drawers for things like jewelry, scarves, belts etc. In-rod lighting is key! Also puck lighting to highlight items on shelves. A nice light fixture can dress up any area. It's not just better organized, it's a pleasure to walk in there and figure out what to wear vs. being stressed with a messy or uninspiring space.

End result is much more organized, with much fewer items, because when we hauled everything out to remodel we only kept out what was in regular rotation. Realized I didn't need at least 50% of what I had! Also having things visible and organized makes things more usable. (Look! new closet saves us $ in the end! lols....)

I do have to say that sliding door indoor/outdoor space you have going in is the bomb!!!

Attachments

• closet - 6.jpeg
    closet - 6.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 92
  • closet - 5.jpeg
    closet - 5.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 91
  • closet - 3.jpeg
    closet - 3.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 91
  • closet - 2 (1).jpeg
    closet - 2 (1).jpeg